Friday, December 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7200, 2015-12-25

CONTESTANTS
Dee Daigle, a substitute teacher from Hebron, Connecticut
Emily Poole, a musician from Hendersonville, North Carolina
Markus Kolic, a data base devloper and stay-at-home dad from Dighton, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and merry Christmas, ladies and gentlemen. Happy holidays to each and every one of you. Christmas Day is often a busy day, and it can be exhausting because we have so many activities to be engaged in. So why don't you relax for the next half-hour and let us entertain you? By "us," I mean our contestants--the newcomers, Dee and Emily, and the returning champion, Markus. Let's go into the Jeopardy! Round now and we will reveal the categories. Here they are. You're gonna love this one...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SIMPSONS EPISODE TITLES (5/5)
THE SQUIRREL FAMILY (3/5)
SUV SHOPPING (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the model, you give us the make.)
KIDDY LIT (4/5)
"BAM"! "POW!" (5/5)
BREWING BEER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Sarah: From the Malting & Brewing Science Program at UC Davis, the craft and science that go into a cold one.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Markus: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Dee: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Markus found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Markus had $2,800, Emily had $1,000, and Dee was at $3,200. Markus made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

BREWING BEER $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the UC Davis Malting & Brewing Science program.) The two basic types of brewing yeast are top-fermenting & bottom-fermenting, corresponding to these two basic kinds of beer, one including stouts & one including pilsners
(Markus: What are lagers and...)
(Alex: Ooh, hurry.)
(Markus: ...porters?)
(Alex: Oh, no. What are [*] and [**]?)
(Markus: Ah!)
(Alex: [**]. All right, no big loss.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dee: $3,200
Emily: $1,000
Markus: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on this Christmas Day Jeopardy! was Dee Daigle, a substitute teacher from Connecticut who, I understand, can do a great imitation of the Wicked Witch of the West. Are we talking about the motion picture character, uh, the film that was made right here on this lot?

Dee: Yes.

Alex: Margaret Hamilton?

Dee: Yes.

Alex: Go ahead.

Dee: [Cackles] I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too! [Cackles]

[Cheers and applause]

Alex: I hate to admit this on national television, but you just scared the living...

[Laughter]

Alex: ...out of me.

Alex: Emily Poole is a musician from North Carolina...

Emily: Yes.

Alex: ...who, uh, decided to marry her husband because of some great advice, which came from...

Emily: A fortune cookie. [Laughs]

Alex: Do you usually take advice from fortune cookies?

Emily: This one was very special. My husband and I were--we were in college and we were studying at his apartment one night. And for some reason, his roommate had a big bag of fortune cookies. And so it was on the couch in between us, and we were both just eating fortune cookies while we studied. And I said, "I've gotta stop eating these. Let's do just one--I'll eat one more, and we'll share the fortune." So I--I got a fortune cookie out, and my husband Craig--he's now my husband--he reached over and held one end, and I held the other end. And then we broke it open, and the fortune read, "You will be married within six months." And then we were. And he still carries that fortune in his wallet.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, you guys were a little gullible. It could've meant you were gonna marry somebody else.

Emily: Or meant to be.

Alex: Yes. All right.

Alex: Now let's go to Markus Kolic, our champion from Massachusetts. You did well in that brewing beer category, but I understand that you're not a brewer so much as a baker, right? You're into baking stuff.

Markus: That's right. I--I--a different kind of yeast, I guess.

Alex: Yeah.

Markus: Uh, I make a lot of breads. I make my own sourdough. And I do a lot of muffins, pies, really, anything wheat-y.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KIDDY LIT $800: In this 1959 book whose title means a journey through the bush, 2 white children are saved by an Aboriginal boy

THE SQUIRREL FAMILY $600: Chipmunks are in the genus Tamias, Greek for this 9-letter word meaning a person in charge of money

THE SQUIRREL FAMILY $1000: This creature mentioned in one of North Dakota's nicknames is a ground squirrel, not a bird

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Emily: $4,000
Dee: $3,600
Markus: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:31 am

Playwrights

He wrote the line "our home has been nothing but a playroom."
Spoiler
Show
Who is Ibsen? Emily had Albee, with Ionesco crossed out; Markus had Eugene O'Neill.
Emily Poole: $8,800-$8,799=$1

Dee Daigle: $10,000+$9,001=now a 1-day champion with $19,001

Markus Kolic: $19,000-$1,001=$17,999
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: Friday, December 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:50 pm

According to the website of WLS, today's episode will air overnight at ~2:30am here in Chicagoland.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Our north of the border friends were probably glad Markus missed FJ after his flub on the last clue.

No chance for me on FJ, guessed Miller just to not leave it blank.

We are getting tornadoes here, at least the show aired before the station went into full weather panic mode.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Oddly, $200 was my only miss in Beer. I've never heard anyone call a beer a "malt", and I couldn't think of any beery words immediately after "hops" was negged. (I knew hops was wrong anyway.)

Ran Simpsons Episodes.

Walkabout struck me as oddly out of place in the Kiddy Lit category, and it was my only miss there.

3/5 in Squirrel. Precalled "rodent", couldn't pull "treasurer", NHO "flickertail".

Very good J! round for me with 21 right overall.

I lost signal for about five clues in DJ! (the What Happened When Daily Double and about 4 clues afterward), but given the categories, I doubt I'd have gotten any of them.

Priscilla was very, very, very, VERY undervalued for $400 IMO.

Largest Country was entirely YEKIOYD. Saw no way to puzzle any of those out.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings no bells.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Congrats to Dee on her win. I had 39 correct responses including three triple stumpers: treasurer, Perry, and Guatemala. I also got the missed DD of lagers and ales. I guessed Tennessee Williams for FJ.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Abraxas wrote:I guessed Tennessee Williams for FJ.
So did I. There were several clues I missed today that I absolutely should have gotten. I can't think of a reason why I should have been that far off my game today.

I've particularly liked the contestants this week. I can't think of any who struck me as duds.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Largest Country was entirely YEKIOYD. Saw no way to puzzle any of those out.
Yes, sometimes you just have to know things.

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:41 pm

I've never even read A Doll's House. How in the hell did I get FJ!? I practically threw a dart and it magically landed in the bed labeled "Ibsen."

Oh well, I'll take it!
アタックチャンス!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:47 pm

How did he miss that DD?

phpBB [video]

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Coryat: $25,800
37 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: lagers & ales (DD), Nigeria

I put Neil Simon just to have something on FJ!, but as soon as Dee's response was revealed I realized the allusion to the title of A Doll's House.

How about that Dred Scott DD, though? That was totally a worthy $2000 clue...on Celebrity J!
Last night I wrote:Oddly unbalanced board, but one I will take anytime. Three wordplay categories (including 2 DDs), a wordplay-themed history category, one law, one business (plus FJ!), one nonfiction literature, and no theater, opera, poetry, fiction or movie categories.

Tonight was pretty much the opposite, at least in terms of being in my wheelhouse. TPTB giveth, and TPTB taketh away.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Priscilla was very, very, very, VERY undervalued for $400 IMO.
It's a cult classic movie with a distinctive title. Totally $400-worthy.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Good ol' Criterion... https://www.criterion.com/films/522-walkabout

Put another hash mark under Albee for me. I doubt I would've made it to Ibsen (and even if I did, it still would've been a flat out guess).

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I've seen Walkabout, so that helped me get the one that seemed a little odd in running KIDDY LIT. SUV SHOPPING (like just about any auto category) is always unwelcome, but I got out with $400 for the Ford Escape and no bad guesses.

Markus played the last DD leading 14400 to 9200 to 9600 and Alex told him he had about a $5,000 lead. There was only a $400 clue remaining. Markus bet $5,000 and got it right.

That made his lead 19400 to 9200 to 9600

The $400 clue in THE LARGEST COUNTRY... - Entirely outside Asia, by area

Markus: Brazil
Dee: Canada

Bye lock, bye game, bye repeat

The FJ! clue had me first write Tennessee Williams in thinking about figurines in The Glass Menagerie.. I switched to Ibsen when I thought about A Doll's House. With about five seconds to go I switched again writing Barrie thinking about the Darling children in the nursery. With about a second to go I felt Ibsen was more likely in PLAYWRIGHTS and I circled him and crossed out Barrie.

Merry Christmas, me.

Yes, it looks like the poll can have some options for some of the common incorrect guesses.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:57 pm

37 right.

Simpsons (5), Squirrel (1), SUV (3), Kiddy (4), "BAM" "POW" (5), Beer (2)
Country (4), Moving (2), Library (3), When (4), Art (3), Fruit (1)

Lach Trash: "walkabout", "Oliver Hazard Perry", "Nigeria", "Guatemala"

I only had a guess of Edward Albee for FJ. I read A Doll's House in high school, but I didn't remember any lines.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:58 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Markus played the last DD leading 14400 to 9200 to 9600 and Alex told him he had about a $5,000 lead. There was only a $400 clue remaining. Markus bet $5,000 and got it right.

That made his lead 19400 to 9200 to 9600

The $400 clue in THE LARGEST COUNTRY... - Entirely outside Asia, by area

Markus: Brazil
Dee: Canada

Bye lock, bye game, bye repeat
He was in a tough spot on his DD bet. To assure a lock in FJ, he had to bet $5,601, which leaves him at $8,799 if he is wrong and a guaranteed third going into FJ. A bet of $4,800 gives him a lock-tie if right and a tie if wrong if they don't play the final clue.

But it was a second row clue in what was a fairly simple and straightforward category thus far. His bet puts him in the middle in a close game with one clue left which may or not get played. So I think going for the lock would have been worth the risk. Even if he clams on Brazil and Miss Gulch still gets Canada he loses his lock. Even if Canada had been wrong he still doesn't have a lock.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Bamaman wrote:Our north of the border friends were probably glad Markus missed FJ after his flub on the last clue.
I felt a bit of schadenfreude since he bet just shy of enough to put the game away on that last DD. And then he rang in with a miss on the last clue, putting himself back in contention even BEFORE Dee got it right. Still, he was a pleasant champ, so I feel bad for the guy. On the other hand, Dee's Wicked Witch impersonation was dead on, so I'm happy to see her again. Plus, she really seemed like she felt defeated for the last half of the Double Jeopardy round. It was fun to see her demeanor change when she pulled this one out of the hat.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:36 pm

Ooohhh... sorry. Henrik Ibsen, of course, wrote in Norwegian. We were going for "Who is J. M. Dent," the 1917 English translator of A Doll's House.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:23 am

MarkBarrett wrote:SUV SHOPPING (like just about any auto category) is always unwelcome, but I got out with $400 for the Ford Escape and no bad guesses.
This is an area of strength for me. The one that gave me momentary pause after I rang in was the Outlander. This is especially embarrassing given that our family vehicle is an Outlander.
Sprinkles are for winners.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:22 am

My guess was Ionesco, but I suppose I meant to guess Pirandello, as I imagined one of the six characters in search of an author to be saying it. Ibsen may have flitted through my mind, but not long enough for me to consider what play of his it could have been. Mostly I was distracted by comparing the line to "All the world's a stage," and I couldn't think clearly for having to keep telling myself Shakespeare would never be the answer to a "Playwrights" FJ.

Of the five largest countries, three are outside Asia: Canada, the U.S., and Brazil. Do you suppose Dee would have rung in with Canada if Markus hadn't negged with Brazil?