Name That Senator

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Name That Senator

Post by teapot37 »

http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/120721 ... at-senator

Here's a game where they show you a photo of all 100 current senators and give you four names for each one. How many can you name? I got 91, but I have to admit there were a few people I didn't even know were senators.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Name That Senator

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/120721 ... at-senator

Here's a game where they show you a photo of all 100 current senators and give you four names for each one. How many can you name? I got 91, but I have to admit there were a few people I didn't even know were senators.
I'm impressed. I had to struggle for 67.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Went into this thinking I might be able to get them all - but I missed three.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

80/100. There are too many old white guys in Congress to tell them all apart.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I had to stop about 30 in when I swear they were reusing the same pic...not sure if that's real life or a result of my gin addled mind, but I'd rather stay ignorant to that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got 66, and I'm blaming my prosopagnosia.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I could only identify 44.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got through about 20 or so and quit since I was guessing at half of them.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

Bamaman wrote:I got through about 20 or so and quit since I was guessing at half of them.
+1. This was my experience too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

45 for me determined to go through all 100 even though I only KNEW 13 of them for sure mostly thanks to the two from my state and the recent debates. Looking at the list of 100 I would estimate I only recognized the names of about 27 as being senators.

It's never been a good area for me since there are constant changes and I don't follow enough to care.

Thanks for the link as doing the exercise can only better my chances the next time a relevant J! clue appears.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For a person who is incredibly bad at these things, especially when J! asks about it, I think my 37 is a pretty darn good score. (I'm also at a disadvantage here in that I'm probably the only one here who took this, and one of the very few overall who took it, who doesn't have any of them as their senator). Plus, this was a good way to study for something that J! asks a lot of , so thanks again! (Although it's not multiple choice on J!

Although several of them (especially near the end) were deduced merely by the fact that the other three names were already done (or, in rare cases, two of the other names plus one of the handful (maybe 8?) I knew what they looked like. My wild guesses (usually along the lines of "Oh, he looks like he could be a James Lankford!"), however, rarely turned out correct. (Also one I recognized by the flag in the background - I wouldn't know John Hoeven if I met him in a dark alley, but I do know he's one of North Dakota's senators, living close to the state and getting some of my TV channels from there helped with that one.)

Thanks, hope I remember to go back to study when The Call comes, hopefully that comes before some of these are gone in the 2016 elections.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

49. I credit my "Concentration" skills for my success.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

69 for me, but I will admit to using my SAT skills in narrowing a lot of the choices down to two, then guessing .
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

I couldn't tell all the old white guys apart, but my BF got 70. I keep telling him he should try out for Jeopardy!
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Actually, 20 are women, 2 are black & at least 3 are Hispanic. And the old white guys are the ones who've been around so long & on those Sunday shows are easiest to know. It was the middle-aged guys from states in the Midwest who were tricky. One of my two incorrect answers was mistaking Debbie Stabenow for Jeanne Shaheen. The other was one of the Midwestern dudes.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

78 for me. I'd say 45 of them were "know it", 20 were "50/50 educated guess" and 13 were "all other options gone". I only made one mistake on the women.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Meh. This is really the list of the most powerful people in the most powerful country on earth? For shame.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

dhkendall wrote:For a person who is incredibly bad at these things, especially when J! asks about it, I think my 37 is a pretty darn good score. (I'm also at a disadvantage here in that I'm probably the only one here who took this, and one of the very few overall who took it, who doesn't have any of them as their senator). Plus, this was a good way to study for something that J! asks a lot of , so thanks again! (Although it's not multiple choice on J!
I would say there is a maximum of 8-10 sitting senators that would ever be fodder for a Jeopardy clue. I'm sure they are all among the 37 you got correct.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

I was really surprised on November 4 when J! had a photo clue of Kirsten Gillibrand and it was a triple stumper. Maybe I'm biased because she was my law school classmate, but I don't think of her as among the low-profile ones!