Tuesday, December 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alamble »

jwatcher16 wrote:
Volante wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote: Just for fun, I'd like to propose an alternate clue leading to the same answer:
"The first female space shuttle pilot shares this last name with a famous tv soap opera vampire."
"...and bestselling young adult fiction writer."

Hi there Volante -

ummm I'm not really up on YA fiction (I'm a bit over the hill for that...) but who would be the author - or am I making this too hard and it's Mr. Frid himself?
Suzanne Collins, author of The Hunger Games and its sequels.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

So much for Alex's prediction that this would be an entertaining game.

At first I was a little puzzled as to how so many J! Boarders could forget Eileen Collins after her previous mention in Final Jeopardy. I knew it immediately. Then I looked it up on the archive and realized that the previous question was from 2006. How time flies when you're waiting for The Call!

I'll bet Eileen never dreamed she would be the subject of two FJ clues.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Linear Gnome wrote:
OSXpert wrote:It really doesn't seem worth it to do some quick math in your head and wager correctly, does it?

For some reason I thought the question excluded Collins because he didn't go down onto the moon, so I went with Aldrin. Knowing the female pilot would have helped, of course. I feel extra bad about missing this one since I just submitted my astronaut candidate application.
This also addresses cosmos's question. Apparently, TPTB decided in retrospect that the wording made it sound as if the last name referred to someone who actually walked on the moon (apparently OSXpert and I were not the only two who were misled) so they're letting Ashley play again later in the week. I'm glad cosmos commented because I hadn't watched that far on the tape--I went back to watch it just now.

(Despite the wording, I really should have gotten a response about an astronaut named Eileen. My excuse is that I ruled out Collins before I got that far.)

Editing to add: started composing this before Opus's post.
Armstrong is too obvious, while Aldrin is too uncommon a last name. Collins is in that sweet spot, so I figured it out in a couple of seconds. Apparently so did Patricia. I guess she wishes now she'd bet, say, $200 or something like that.

But I think it's sad that they're not bringing back the one contestant who managed to get FJ right, while the two who got it wrong get to play again.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Suppose the clue asked for a Canadian province and the desired response was Yukon. Someone knowledgeable might get it wrong because they never considered it as a possibility.

Sage on the Hudson

Putting the ZERO in "zero-g"

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

OSXpert wrote:It really doesn't seem worth it to do some quick math in your head and wager correctly, does it?

For some reason I thought the question excluded Collins because he didn't go down onto the moon, so I went with Aldrin. Knowing the female pilot would have helped, of course. I feel extra bad about missing this one since I just submitted my astronaut candidate application.
Jeopardy! was in on NASA's testing procedure. You just failed.

Sage on the Hudson

Idiomatic idiots

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I wonder if anyone asked Jesus for clarification at the time. "When you said you will rise on the third day were you counting the current day as the first day, or did you mean the next day?"
Since there's no proof that it ever happened, only an anecdote written long after it was supposed to have happened, does it really matter?

MarkyMarkm wrote:Arthur Chu was negged for pronouncing "McDormand" as "McDarmand." And leaving off the e in Harare is no small mistake, Harar is actually a very prominent city in Ethiopia.
dhkendall wrote:I think it was given because "Harare" could be pronounced by English rules as "Harar" if you've never heard it said before and only seen it in writing. That's a long standing rule that has made acceptable some very strange pronunciations.
As long as the Jeopardy! judges keep accepting the inane and execrable "coup de gras" for the correct coup de grâce (something that not only changes spelling and pronunciation, but meaning), it should be assumed that they are thoroughly unqualified to render opinions on anything. Show them the door.

Volante wrote:Except those don't follow standard rules of English to begin with. Should someone be negged for pronouncing 'yahmuhka' with a pirate 'yar'?
(First time I realized that's how the word was pronounced was from Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song...)
Sure, since the word is yarmulke.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Linear Gnome wrote:Suppose the clue asked for a Canadian province and the desired response was Yukon. Someone knowledgeable might get it wrong because they never considered it as a possibility.
In a show hosted by a Canadian, I somehow doubt that there would be a clue that refers to Yukon as a province. Alex would take one look at it and say, "Uh, guys…"

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Suzanne Collins, author of The Hunger Games and its sequels.

I hope the kind replier gets to read this... and thanks. The Hunger Games, that explains it... I would have had no clue, basically not paying any attention to that phenomenon. No offense intended to HG fans; it's just not my cup of tea.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I just got through watching this episode. I wasn't confused by the wording; I guessed Collins (and it was a guess).

The little clip of Alex announcing that Ashley was coming back later in the week must have been filmed on a later show; he's wearing a purple tie on the clip and a striped tie during the episode in question.