Thursday, December 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

mfc248 wrote:32 R / 5 W / $23,200. Lach Trash: Mayo, Byzantine Empire.

On legal system for $400, I initially credited "zodiac" as correct, but after a bit of review, I'm calling it a neg instead.

Couldn't come up with anything for final.

Congratulations to Ashley on taking advantage of her second chance!
I gnegged myself on zodiac too....
I never gnew the wildebeest was also a gnu or vice gversa. I'm glad we only had to come up with one!

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Does anyone here know if Ashley still wins the $1,000 for finishing third in her first game? Or does she give that up for the opportunity to play again?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As someone with family members who lived/worked there and immediate family members who visited there I felt Alex was a combination of ignorant and offensive with his comments about Botswana during story time. Good for Sandro for gently pushing back.

There are some nights I know it's necessary to switch off from first instinct. I saw the FJ! clue and dismissed okapi and wrote wapiti. Since it was not a Daily Double I had plenty of time to wake up that an elk is not an antelope and switch to wildebeest. Typical me that it never occurred to me that gnu would have been easier to write.

My instincts tell me I would have stuck with wildebeest even if the fairly plausible options of springbok and ibex had come to me.

In a strange way I may have had a little J! karma working for me as I have been working on an S18 game to put in the Archive tomorrow (or Saturday) and one of the clues mentioned James Earl (Jones) being the voice of Mufasa. Seeing that clue immediately put a picture in my mind of Mufasa killed by the stampede of...wildebeest.

aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

Is Alex not walking over to the contestants anymore? Maybe they've switched to a CGI Alex? :)
xxaaaxx wrote:Weird game. Gangs of New York, a TS. Byzantine a TS, when spotted a map, and Justinian...
AND "Ottoman" had been eliminated. Come to think of it: Ottoman, Byzantine, Hittite, Persian ... rather fixated on the Middle East, weren't they?

The three tenors clue should have been top box, especially with everything but two letters being handed to the contestants.

It's too bad no one got the correct response for FJ:
Spoiler
What is "Happy gnu year"?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew a gnu ( :D ) and a wildebeest were the same animal, but didn't know they were antelopes. I said impala.

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

econgator wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Also didn't realize a gnu was an antelope. I thought it was a bovine of some sort.
That was my problem. Best I could do was springbok.
I had springbok too, but didn't think of gnu as possible because I always associate wildebeest with East Tanzania, in and around the great lakes. And it never occurred to me wildebeest might have a non-English origin, although the origin of the "gnu" appellation seems unclear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildebeest

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

For the Camus DD, I answered "La Peste", just to be a pest.

Doesn't "wildebeest" translate as "wild beast"? That may (or may not) describe its appearance. Its genus name does it much better, containing references to a beard and a mane. Full disclosure: I answered "reebok".
OCSam

RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Dik-dik fits approximately 2/3 of the clue, but I can find no alternate name describing its looks and from the Afrikaans, so it's a no go.

Also didn't realize a gnu was an antelope. I thought it was a bovine of some sort.
Every word of this. (Including results of follow-up dik-dik research.)

TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Category 13 wrote:Yea, Ashley.

Boo, the slow game play that shortchanged Dance Music.
As (likely) the first avowed Househead in this board (First Cathedral of Saint Frankie Knuckles! - look him up...), I can only co-sign...
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, Ashley!

That was a fairly easy FJ for me - wildebeest came to mind first, though I also considered springbok and dik-dik.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,600
37 R/3 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: page, haunted house

As someone who drafts contracts for a living, I was disappointed to not get "binding." Also, I don't think I've ever heard of a pearl being referred to as a gem before. I've always just thought of pearls as their own thing.
sarisson wrote:If "I'm a Barbie Girl" is too much information for the clue, then I'll have to deduct $1600.
Nah, that's perfectly acceptable. J! always accepts longer lyrical phrases that contain the title of the song unless it violates a special rule of the category,

Mark, can we get a "I gnu both correct responses to Thursday's FJ!" option on this week's survey?
Sprinkles are for winners.

BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

Happy Gnu Year!

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I got both responses that FJ asked for.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, I can have a poll option for knowing both gnu & wildebeest. I woke up this morning with "Barbie Girl" in my head. Arggghh! It's one of those notorious earworms.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Mark, can we get a "I gnu both correct responses to Thursday's FJ!" option on this week's survey?
I didn't gnow either one for sure, but I got them both. Gnu was my official guess and wildebeest was my alternate. I thought of dik-dik, gazelle, and I don't recall what else. I didn't like any of them better than my frontrunners. But I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if both my guesses had been wrong.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
sarisson wrote:If "I'm a Barbie Girl" is too much information for the clue, then I'll have to deduct $1600.
Nah, that's perfectly acceptable. J! always accepts longer lyrical phrases that contain the title of the song unless it violates a special rule of the category,
And as long as the lyrics are correct.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Ugh, I was thinking springbok, especially since that's on the South African national airline's planes. Like someone above, I thought wildebeest was up in Kenya area. Lots of slow clue choosing & deliberative answers led to about 8 clues not getting seen.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm surprised more people didn't think springbok was huge negbait. It is the national animal of South Africa, is the symbol of their rugby team, and the name is Afrikaans. I guess the suckers don't say squat, though.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Also didn't realize a gnu was an antelope. I thought it was a bovine of some sort.
That was my problem. Best I could do was springbok.
Every word of this for me.

And, for what it's worth, the sun hasn't set on the British empire nor, most likely, will it for several centuries yet.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

alietr wrote:I'm surprised more people didn't think springbok was huge negbait. It is the national animal of South Africa, is the symbol of their rugby team, and the name is Afrikaans. I guess the suckers don't say squat, though.
I thought bongo would be negbait too, since its a hyper-popular crossword clue and has come up on the show before, and the wording of the FJ clue might have led you to believe they were going for some wordplay, with bongo being the singular of bongos ("need only one").