Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7207, 2016-01-05

CONTESTANTS
Steve Belding, an engineer from Knoxville, Tennessee
Alex Lautanen Walker, a legal secretary from San Diego, California
Terry McElhennon, a customer service representative from New Bern, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $3,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. I hope now that a lot of the holiday festivities are over, all of you are settling into and adjusting to the new year. Alex and Steve, nice to have you with us today. Terry, good to have you back with us. Let's go to work, shall we, in the Jeopardy! round? Today, one Daily Double in one of these categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AUTHORS (4/5)
LODGE PODGE (5/5)
COLLEGES BY TEAM NAMES (5/5)
BARONS & BARONESSES (5/5)
DOWNRIGHT BEASTLY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON THE LETTERHEAD (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be in letter-word form. I'll give you an example--T-shirt. A letter followed by a word.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steve: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Alex: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Terry had $600, Alex had $600, and Steve had nothing in the bank. Alex wagered $1,000.

DOWNRIGHT BEASTLY $800: These theoretical passageways are sometimes referred to as Einstein-Rosen bridges
(Alex Walker: What are catwalks?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Steve: $5,800
Terry: $600
Alex: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a little bit of show business in the career of Steve Belding, who's an engineer from Knoxville, Tennessee. And I'm referring to an appearance in The Full Monty.

Steve: Ah, yes.

Alex: I wanna hear about that.

Steve: Well, uh, it was at a local community theater, Oak Ridge Playhouse, and I was cast as the professional male stripper. And so my costume consisted of an awful mullet wig, a spray tan, and a thong.

Alex: I bet you were the hit of the show.

Steve: [ Laughs ] I don't know about that, but it was fun.

Alex: I'm sure it was.

Alex Trebek: Alex Lautanen Walker from San Diego, California. A legal secretary. And you and your husband, I understand, own two very unusual cats, cats that I have never seen.

Alex Lautanen Walker: Yes, my husband and I own two Sphinx cats
named Persephone and Delilah. And --

Alex Trebek: Aren't they hairless?

Alex Lautanen Walker: They are hairless. They are whiskerless. They require a bath at least every two weeks, once a week. And they love to cuddle. They're very --very snuggly 'cause they... They have no fur to keep them warm.
Alex Trebek: Yeah, you never have to worry about shedding.

Alex Lautanen Walker: They feel --they feel like a hot peach when you touch them.

[ Laughter ]

Alex Trebek: Okay. Good to know. Thank you.

Alex: Terry McElhennon is our champion. Now a couple of years ago, I happened to be in Paris for the end of the Tour de France, a popular sporting event in Europe. You were in Italy at the culmination of another very big sporting event --the World Cup.

Terry: Uh, yes, sir. I was in Italy on a school trip at the time. We were in Montecatini. And, um, we were walking around, and it was a total ghost town. No one else besides our school group was out and about. All of a sudden, I guess the game had ended, and people started rushing the streets, uh, had a little makeshift parade. It was surreal.

Alex: And that was the year that Italy won the World Cup.

Terry: Absolutely.

Alex: Yeah, exciting times. Okay, let's get back into this. Alex has command of the board.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS $1000: He saw a lot of 20th century innovations coming before anyone else
(Terry: Who is Arthur C. Clarke?)
(Steve: Who is Verne?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Steve: $7,400
Alex: $4,600
Terry: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOM NOM NOM DE GUERRE (5/5)
MOVIE BIOGRAPHIES (4/5)
STARTS WITH "S" (5/5)
WYOMING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DANGEROUS WEATHER (5/5)
THE PULITZER PRIZE AT 100 (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steve: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: 9 R, 0 W
Alex: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steve snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Terry had $4,000, Alex had $9,000, and Steve was at $13,800. Steve wagered $1,000.

WYOMING $1600: This resort area is about 6,000 feet up, but as it's surrounded by mountains over 10,000 feet, you can see how it got its name

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steve who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Terry had $9,600, Alex had $10,200, and Steve was at $19,600. Steve wagered $3,000.

THE PULITZER PRIZE AT 100 $1200: Newspaper published Joseph Pulitzer's will endowed the prizes & this university's School of Journalism
(Steve: What is Princeton?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE BIOGRAPHIES $2000: 1987: John Lone as Pu Yi

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steve: $18,600
Alex: $12,200
Terry: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Steve: Wager $5,801 to cover Alex.
Alex: You have the hope of surpassing Steve if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,201 to force Steve to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Terry.
Terry: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $11,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In some countries the subtitle "A Contemporary Satire" was used for this 1945 parable

FINAL SCORES
Terry: $11,200 + $11,200 = $22,400 (What is Animal Farm?) (2nd place)
Alex: $12,200 + $6,500 = $18,700 (What is Animal Farm) (3rd place)
Steve: $18,600 + $5,801 = $24,401 (What is Animal Farm?) (New champion: $24,401)
(Alex Trebek: [To Terry] George Orwell.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steve: $22,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: $13,200, 15 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: $11,200, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $46,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Steve: 28/60 = .467
Alex: 16/59 = .271
Terry: 15/58 = .259
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DOWNRIGHT BEASTLY $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from outside a set of doors.) From their size, it's the beastly name for the large door that's used to bring equipment into a TV studio

COLLEGES BY TEAM NAMES $200: Crimson Tide
(Terry: What is Auburn?)
(Alex Trebek: The University of [*], yes. Terry's going to hear from University of [*] people on that one.)

AUTHORS $200: This poet wrote passionately about nature, love, and, of course, himself
(Terry: Who is Thoreau?)

AUTHORS $400: He's seen here in the 1950s
at Oxford, Mississippi,
not the other one

AUTHORS $600: He's the sometimes bitter Irish-born 18th century satirist seen here

AUTHORS $800: In 2012, this author received a Presidential Medal of Freedom

LODGE PODGE $800: The Lodge is the name of the prime minister of Australia's
official residence in this city

THE PULITZER PRIZE AT 100 $400: (I'm Josh Haner.) I won the Pulitzer for Feature Photography for "Beyond the Finish Line", a photo essay on the recovery of Jeff Bauman, a survivor of the tragedy at this event on April 15, 2013

DANGEROUS WEATHER $400: Ones that fell in New Mexico really were the size of golf balls

DANGEROUS WEATHER $1200: (Hi, I'm ABC meteorologist Ginger Zee.) In 2013 I was chasing storms on I-35 & I-44, but was shocked by the devastation that I saw in the community of Moore in this state

STARTS WITH "S" $800: This marker maker encourages creativity with its products, as seen here

STARTS WITH "S" $1600: 2-word term for this tank that relaxes the mind by reducing outside stimuli

THE PULITZER PRIZE AT 100 $800: Designed a year after the prizes began, the Pulitzer Prize gold medal depicts this founding father & newspaper printer
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE PULITZER PRIZE AT 100 $2000: The music prize went to composers of classical music until 1997, when he won for his jazz-tinged "Blood On The Fields"

CORRECT RESPONSES
wormholes
H.G. Wells
Jackson Hole
Columbia
The Last Emperor
Animal Farm
elephant doors
Alabama
Whitman
(William) Faulkner
(Jonathan) Swift
Toni Morrison
Canberra
the Boston Marathon bombing
hail
Oklahoma
Sharpie
sensory deprivation
(Benjamin) Franklin
(Wynton) Marsalis
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

British Novels

In some countries the subtitle "a contemporary satire" was used for this 1945 parable.
Spoiler
What is Animal Farm?
Terry McElhennon: $11,200+$11,000=$22,200

Alex Lautanen Walker: $12,200+$6,500=$18,700

Steve Belding: $18,600+$5,801=now a 1-day champion with $24,401
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

When I saw the college team names category I was excited, but in the end I was disappointed they didn't include the Stanford Golden Bears or Michigan Buckeyes. Otherwise, good category.

Instaget final because I knew that factoid, wonder if I would have gotten it if I had needed to figure it out.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Excellent game by all three players; congrats to Steve on his win. I had 48 correct responses including two triple stumpers: H.G. Wells and The Last Emperor. I also got the missed DD of Columbia. Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The Auburn Crimson Tide...oh my. His FB/Twitter feed might have a few comments about that one.

Wormhole and Columbia, 2 DDs where I was halfway through muttering "oh come on, how can that be a Dail--" right as the contestants missed them.

When the FJ category was revealed, I sighed and said "as long as they don't pick Jane Austen or a Harry Potter book." I should've included Orwell :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:Instaget final because I knew that factoid, wonder if I would have gotten it if I had needed to figure it out.
I knew I'd heard it before, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The only thing making me less than certain about FJ was it seemed like the last Orwell-related FJ was so recent, but I stuck with Animal Farm. A teacher who shares a classroom with me is reading it with his freshman right now, so its also pretty near to my mind.

You can usually tell when a contestant knows a Daily Double immediately by their composure, so I was pretty surprised when I heard "catwalk" in the Jeopardy round.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Leander wrote:Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree.
Senator Kennedy, jazz musician Marsalis, when it comes to BMSes I've given up expecting any kind of consistency or logic.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

The date was a giveaway; a post-war British satire could only be Animal Farm. I assume this book has been assigned in most elementary schools like it was for me, which was just waaaaay too young to appreciate/understand its historical context and meaning.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Whitman at $200?

I ran "Beastly", and got all but "O-ring" in Letterhead.

I can never remember whether Cheyenne or Casper is Wyoming's capital, nor can I find a way to make it stick AS FREAKING USUAL. Ended up bombing the category, even though I recognized everything in it.

No guess on FJ! Best I could do was "Well, it's not 1984" but my brain just hit a wall. Stupid-obvious after the fact, but I just couldn't get there.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

grindcore wrote:When I saw the college team names category I was excited, but in the end I was disappointed they didn't include the Stanford Golden Bears or Michigan Buckeyes. Otherwise, good category.
Sick burn bro, but I think Stanford-USC is a far more heated rivalry for both schools, at least currently.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Author (3), Lodge (3), College (5), Baron (4), Beast (1), Letterhead (4)
Nom (3), Movie (4), "S" (2), Wyoming (4), Weather (4), Pulitzer (1)

No Lach Trash.

I knew it wasn't "1984" because that was released later than 1945, so I went with the other big Orwell novel.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I can never remember whether Cheyenne or Casper is Wyoming's capital, nor can I find a way to make it stick AS FREAKING USUAL
It's Chey, WY (Shy Y).
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

MarkyMarkm wrote:
grindcore wrote:When I saw the college team names category I was excited, but in the end I was disappointed they didn't include the Stanford Golden Bears or Michigan Buckeyes. Otherwise, good category.
Sick burn bro, but I think Stanford-USC is a far more heated rivalry for both schools, at least currently.
Meh, nfl.com and yahoosports agrees with me more than you.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was a well-played episode in spite of the Auburn :o Crimson Tide, "catwalks" for wormholes, and a few other bad misses. I had $35,000 and a personal high of 47 right, including Final. I expected to go 0/5 in Barons/esses but wound up running the category. Sometimes the category names aren't to your liking, but you find the clues are a lot easier than you expect. TPH, take note.
Hoping for a third lap
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

Leander wrote, "Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree."

agreed. granddaddy ellis marsalis and daddy ellis marsalis, jr. (pianist), were the progenitors of four jazz kids. there is little difference between wynton (trumpet), bradford (sax), delfeayo (trombone) and jason (drums).
alamble

Post by alamble »

alan tiger wrote:Leander wrote, "Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree."

agreed. granddaddy ellis marsalis and daddy ellis marsalis, jr. (pianist), were the progenitors of four jazz kids. there is little difference between wynton (trumpet), bradford (sax), delfeayo (trombone) and jason (drums).
It's Branford, and I suspect that they did not BMS because they showed a picture of Wynton playing his trumpet.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,600
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: wormholes (DD), The Last Emperor, Columbia (DD)

The word "parable" in the FJ! clue cinched it for me.

"Catwalk" is a pretty absentminded response to a clue about theoretical passages whose alternate name includes Einstein. Then again, I absentmindedly answered "I-bar" instead of "I-beam," so who am I to judge?
alamble wrote:
alan tiger wrote:Leander wrote, "Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree."

It's Branford, and I suspect that they did not BMS because they showed a picture of Wynton playing his trumpet.
That's not a good reason not to BMS. I suspect there are many people who know that Branford and Wynton are both jazz musicians, but couldn't tell you which one is which. *raises hand*
Sprinkles are for winners.