Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkyMarkm »

grindcore wrote: Meh, nfl.com and yahoosports agrees with me more than you.
It's a more historic rivalry, but Cal hasn't been football relevant for a decade. Walk around on both campuses on game-day and the epithets (often vulgar) printed on the respective fan bases T-shirts' will tell you precisely where their hatred lies.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alan tiger wrote:Leander wrote, "Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree."

agreed. granddaddy ellis marsalis and daddy ellis marsalis, jr. (pianist), were the progenitors of four jazz kids. there is little difference between wynton (trumpet), bradford (sax), delfeayo (trombone) and jason (drums).
I went to a private party at a convention where Ellis Jr. Was playing with his trio. I was the only one paying attention and listening.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also just said the last name but likely would have guessed correctly if BMSed. I agree one should have been given. I was OK with no BMS on Kennedy given the year, but would have had no problem if they had given one.

Not even going to comment on the Crimson Tide clue other than I'm glad the guy who ran the sports category along with the other sports clue won.

I got FJ. The bit about the subtitle being used in "some places" or whatever the wording was made me think it was 1984 but stuck with the correct book.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

50R! Ran Beastly and Letterhead, college sports and s-words, get on FJ after toying with 1984, something in the clue def angled me at Orwell, 'contemporary satire' sounds Orwellian and 'parody' >>> farmish.
LT: Columbia, wormhole, no get on Herbert George Wells' picture. Sigh... not a bad round! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ. The bit about the subtitle being used in "some places" or whatever the wording was made me think it was 1984 but stuck with the correct book.
Animal Farm was my first guess. But my copy has the subtitle "A Fairy Story." So I hesitated a little and considered 1984. But 1984 is rumored to have been named that because Orwell reversed the numbers in 1948, the year he finished writing it. (It wasn't published until 1949). Since the clue wanted a book published in 1945, I knew 1984 had to be wrong. So I went back to Animal Farm with a high degree of confidence.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Add me to the list of people surprised at the lack of BMS on a senator named Kennedy and a musician named Marsalis.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeopardy!'s Facebook page has blown up with the Auburn Crimson Tide clue.
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

That "sheep fur trader" clue was badly worded. Can you try not to put three nouns in a row (four counting the proper noun immediately afterwards), writers? I spent a second or so trying to figure out what has been named after wool, and why they were referring to it as "sheep fur".

Also, knowing what large balls of ice falling from the sky that are often referred to as being the size of golf balls are called seems like something that belongs in Kids Week.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Leander wrote:Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree.
Senator Kennedy, jazz musician Marsalis, when it comes to BMSes I've given up expecting any kind of consistency or logic.
Especially on the Marsalis clue, which was valued at $2,000, a BMS was mandatory. Although really, there should have been prompts on both of the clues.

Instaget FJ. I had never heard that tidbit, but the key word in the clue was "parable." That plus the time period (since Orwell's other famous novel was famously written in 1948) = "Animal Farm." Done.

I pre-called C-section in the "letterhead" category, but my other precalls of "F-stop" and "g-men" didn't come up. And I wonder if "K-ration" was a leftover clue from the writing of that category that the writers decided would fit equally well in the "nom non nom de guerre" column.

I don't understand Alex's FJ wager; she didn't bet enough to cover Terry, and that would have cost her a win if Steve had missed the FJ. (Of course, the triple-get made that academic.) And it was a crush game, so she had no reason not to go all-in.

ETA: Why didn't Steve receive applause for running the college sports teams category?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Whitman at $200?
THIS POET WROTE PASSIONATELY ABOUT NATURE, LOVE, AND, OF COURSE, HIMSELF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Myself
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex's bet cost her $1,000.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

These theoretical passageways are sometimes referred to as Einstein-Rosen bridges

She Alex: catwalks
He Alex: wormholes

My favorite part of it was her complete confidence that she had it right. In her defense I would lay some of the blame on the previous clue about elephant doors leading into the studio. I can see how passageways and bridges could make a contestant picture the catwalks inside. Of course the other parts of the clue had some weight that needed to be considered.

All J! players: You don't need to take the the DDs to an Alex Jacob level of ruminating, but do take enough time to read them twice.

The Auburn Crimson Tide was telling and then Terry's story was about being clueless with a clueless teacher about being in a clueless group about a major sports event occurring. The teachable moment was not wandering abandoned streets. It was about France's star headbutting his team out of the World Cup.

I had a sports miss by forgetting Alex's category explanation.

ON THE LETTERHEAD $600

It's sport page shorthand for the MLB team that plays its home games in Phoenix

I deserved the neg with "ARZ."

The FJ! category caught me as always unable to recall a Jane Austen title. This time it was Mansfield Park and other times it's Emma or Persuasion or Northanger Abbey. I do better with Austen's "and" books and which one has the Bennet sisters and which one has the Dashwood sisters.

The FJ! clue was an immediate lock-in for Animal Farm and was the kind of clue that greatly favors the leader in a J! game. Player Alex is lucky her wagering penalty was "only" $1000.

Steve's puzzling Princeton for Columbia on his what looked like a gimme DD and instead miss has me unsure what to expect tomorrow. He played a very good game and knew sports, so good start. Plus he sounds kind of like Alan Bailey. Hope I don't need Agent J & K with the Neuralyzer for tomorrow's story though.
KathyWellsville
Contributor

Post by KathyWellsville »

$40,000 coryat. Thought Whitman was undervalued. but then I do terribly with faces.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I can never remember whether Cheyenne or Casper is Wyoming's capital, nor can I find a way to make it stick AS FREAKING USUAL
It's Chey, WY (Shy Y).
Dick Cheney is from Wyoming. Cheney ~ Cheyenne.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

aeq5006 wrote:That "sheep fur trader" clue was badly worded. Can you try not to put three nouns in a row (four counting the proper noun immediately afterwards), writers? I spent a second or so trying to figure out what has been named after wool, and why they were referring to it as "sheep fur".

Also, knowing what large balls of ice falling from the sky that are often referred to as being the size of golf balls are called seems like something that belongs in Kids Week.
Agreed on both counts. The "sheep fur trader" clue could have been improved with a "that" or a "which" between "sheep" and "fur", but I had it nonetheless.
MarkBarrett wrote:These theoretical passageways are sometimes referred to as Einstein-Rosen bridges

She Alex: catwalks
He Alex: wormholes

My favorite part of it was her complete confidence that she had it right. In her defense I would lay some of the blame on the previous clue about elephant doors leading into the studio. I can see how passageways and bridges could make a contestant picture the catwalks inside. Of course the other parts of the clue had some weight that needed to be considered.

All J! players: You don't need to take the the DDs to an Alex Jacob level of ruminating, but do take enough time to read them twice.
It wasn't 'til I got to the J!Board that I realized what happened here. If you concentrate on the cat name ("Beastly") and read the first three words as "These theatrical passages", then catwalk makes total sense. Al Einstein and Nate Rosen sound like great names for stage hands (almost typed "sage hands") or set designers.
OCSam
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Embarrassing miss from the fourth podium: "eggs" instead of hailstones, not realizing they had moved on from Nom Nom Nom de Guerre.

The geek in me would like to note that those elephant doors belonged to none other than Jeopardy!'s next-door neighbor on the Sony lot, Wheel of Fortune.
アタックチャンス!
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

I have the feeling that although Alex read "nom" with a long o, the writers meant it to be a short o.
MarkBarrett wrote:My favorite part of it was her complete confidence that she had it right. In her defense I would lay some of the blame on the previous clue about elephant doors leading into the studio. I can see how passageways and bridges could make a contestant picture the catwalks inside. Of course the other parts of the clue had some weight that needed to be considered.
I could very well be wrong, but my recollection is that the DD came before the elephant door clue was read.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Anyone else raise an eyebrow over Steve's DD wagering in DJ? I thought it might come back to haunt him, and thankfully it didn't. But why bet only $1000 on a fourth-row geography clue, and on a state that really doesn't have many notable features from which to choose/guess? I think that's where you go for the kill and bet in the $3-$5K range.

I don't know what his motivation was for ramping up his bet on a third-row clue in a more difficult category, but like Wyoming, there aren't many options you have to guess from. There are only four J-schools of note in this country that would warrant their own answer on Jeopardy: Missouri, Northwestern, Columbia and Syracuse.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

aeq5006 wrote:I have the feeling that although Alex read "nom" with a long o, the writers meant it to be a short o.
MarkBarrett wrote:My favorite part of it was her complete confidence that she had it right. In her defense I would lay some of the blame on the previous clue about elephant doors leading into the studio. I can see how passageways and bridges could make a contestant picture the catwalks inside. Of course the other parts of the clue had some weight that needed to be considered.
I could very well be wrong, but my recollection is that the DD came before the elephant door clue was read.
The doors were the clue right before the DD.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I agree with the comments about the level of play and lack of BMSs. That Auburn Crimson Tide response was a howler and, in a wee bit of synchronicity, I exited the DVR'd episode to SVP on Sportscenter face palming over that selfsame response.