Friday, January 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, January 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm just enjoying the fresh, Vanya free air here today...

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

Silverfox wrote:Let me say this first. There are no stupid people here. No one should be using that term here. Your ability to answer any of these questions is related to your life experiences and how well you retain knowledge. If you never read a certain book or seen a certain movie, your chances of getting the answer are very slim. And "instaget" and "gimme" are personal judgements, and not universally valid.
Agree with much of this, though I will say that when people say a FJ is "easy" and when I said I thought it was a Kids Week FJ, I think what is meant/what I meant is that a higher-%age-than-avg. of Jeopardy contestants would be expected to get it right, not that you're stupid if you get it wrong (in fact, I think more kids than adults would get this one right). I didn't get this week's FJ of Happy Days, but I recognize this as an "easy" clue in the sense that it was a huge show and anyone who had seen a few episodes or read up on classic shows would be expected to get it. Also, I'd be willing to bet that most of those who couldn't arrive at "role model" would have definitely gotten it at some point in their past, they simply couldn't dredge it up in time this instance for whatever reason.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm just enjoying the fresh, Vanya free air here today...
Word.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

patkav wrote:
Word.
One can only imagine ...

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Gone for good?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Putting the "a little learning/knowledge" trap at $400 was just asking for a stand and stare. That was just mean.

I ran Animals easily, as I usually do.

Had all but ACLU, nuts/stun (took "shell" too literally and was thinking clams), and Maryland in "American", Food, and Civil War respectively. Overall I was 22/28 in J!, with Movies being my worst at 2/5.

"Downstage" is unfamiliar to me. Had I not choked on "rattle his cage", that would've been another rare "all but the top box" moment for me.

Great Britain was a stupid miss for me. I seriously overthought it because 60 million didn't seem right.

I just had nothing here. "Applied to athletes" had me thinking it'd be some hackneyed sports metaphor like "go for the gold", but that wasn't two words. I'm familiar with the term "role model", but I have literally never had anyone whom I could consider a role model. I'm a self-made man, even if I didn't read the instructions very well. :lol:
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I came up with 'role model' before Alex was halfway through reading the question, but dismissed it because:
  • it seemed far too easy for FJ
    I've never particularly associated a role model with athletes - and the other half was adamant that he'd never heard of it specifically applied to athletes
    I've studied some sociology and never came across 'role model' in that context
But it did feel like a concept that could have originated in sociology so I stuck with it - but can easily see why others wouldn't have gone with it. For FJ, I would definitely expect something less commonplace.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alietr wrote:
patkav wrote:
Word.
One can only imagine ...
I would prefer not to.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I thought of "top dog" for FJ and couldn't come up with anything better.
Role model never popped into my mind. The best I could do was "dream team."

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Putting the "a little learning/knowledge" trap at $400 was just asking for a stand and stare. That was just mean.
How is it a trap if they specifically eliminated the common wrong answer in the clue?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Putting the "a little learning/knowledge" trap at $400 was just asking for a stand and stare. That was just mean.
How is it a trap if they specifically eliminated the common wrong answer in the clue?
Because if the answer you think is right is eliminated as wrong, then it's easy to stall out. I can easily imagine that the stand and stare was because all three players were thinking "Wait, it's NOT 'knowledge'?!? I was absolutely certain that it was! Then what the freaking hell is it?!?"
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

I had Weekend Warrior for FJ. How is Role Model only for athletes??

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Because if the answer you think is right is eliminated as wrong, then it's easy to stall out. I can easily imagine that the stand and stare was because all three players were thinking "Wait, it's NOT 'knowledge'?!? I was absolutely certain that it was! Then what the freaking hell is it?!?"
On the other hand, while it's a common misconception that the saying includes 'knowledge', there are people who know that it's really 'learning' - and, though I'm not preparing for Jeopardy, unlike others here, I would have thought that memorising the correct versions of well-known quotes would be one of the many good areas for contestants to study?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Again, I fail to see the trap.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Sometimes J! requires actually knowing the fact in question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Secret of Kells (10), Warcraft (7), What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Sometimes J! requires actually knowing the fact in question.
And three people who made it to the stage didn't know it. In the top box, which should never be a stand and stare.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I actually agree with TPH that this particular clue was undervalued. Frequently, clues near the top of the board are very straightforward.

I don't think "trap" is the perfect word for this clue. But remember that Jeopardy! is a game about quick responses (especially near the top of the board), and this clue was along the lines of "This famous quote contains this word, but wait! The word isn't 'knowledge'!"

Playing along at home, I faltered a little on that clue. I came up with it, but maybe not in time to ring in.

Structurally speaking, any clue along the lines of "Not X, but this other thing" is perhaps slightly tricky for the top box.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had previously encountered the correct wording more than once before, but I STILL didn't get it here because I have seen "knowledge" way way WAY the hell more.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dexterG wrote:I had Weekend Warrior for FJ. How is Role Model only for athletes??
It's not. Hence the word "often."

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:Seems like I remember Alex saying: "which ever contestant comes up with the correct response will win approximately $18,000. Do they all get to keep the money?
I thought his words were something like "I'm going to make a prediction here, whoever wins this game will come away with approximately $18,000".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012