Friday, January 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SOCIOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY CLUE
Often applied to athletes, this 2-word term popularized by Robert K. Merton refers to an example we aspire to

Steve Belding: 9400+8601=18001
Ava Hadaway: 9000+9000=18000
Adam Hoskins: 14600+4201=18801 (1x & $18,801)

Correct response:
Spoiler
role mode
Coryats:
Steve: 10400
Ava: 10200
Adam: 14600

Combined: 35,200

To the moderator(s) on duty: Could you please (if possible and not too much trouble) add a second space saver post at the start of this thread and make this the third post on page 1 moving it from here? Thank you.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ummmm, talk amongst yourselves ...
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

If that's Jackie Chan, I'm Boog Powell.

As for FJ!, it's time to play another exciting game of... "What Else Could It Be!?". I'm your host, the guy who's pretty happy he was in first place at the end of DJ.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Adam on his win. I had 41 correct responses including three triple stumpers: scales, Bootsy, and learning. I also got the missed DD of Edward. Instaget FJ; I got it before Alex finished reading the clue.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ava was just so intense. And so thin! I could have stood to see her play a few more games. I will opine that if only one player had gotten FJ, it would have been her.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And the Facebook posts have already started...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

47R instaget FJ! LT: Pope: "A little LEARNING is a dangerous thing! Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring!" Well-played!! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

so steve lost

i should stop predicting things
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

floridagator wrote:Ava was just so intense. And so thin! I could have stood to see her play a few more games. I will opine that if only one player had gotten FJ, it would have been her.
She reminded me of Julie Singer.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

grindcore wrote:If that's Jackie Chan, I'm Boog Powell.

As for FJ!, it's time to play another exciting game of... "What Else Could It Be!?". I'm your host, the guy who's pretty happy he was in first place at the end of DJ.
Granted, he hasn't done anything particularly notable recently but I'm pretty shocked Jet Li was a double-neg. Also, that Final must have been accidentally tossed into the mix from Kids Week, kept trying to think of any plausible alternatives to the answer and the best I could come up with was star performer.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I didn't recognize Jet Li's face but I've probably seen Lethal Weapon 4 (and the first three for that matter) about 5 times and I know he was in that, so that was an easy one for me.

FJ was a total gimme. Hard to complain about a 5/5 week but meh...the FJs this week were kinda subpar.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was smitten with Ava as soon as I heard her voice.
Those three consecutive negs and the missed last DD cost her the game (thanks to the Kids Week FJ). Bummer. I was hoping she might go all in on her first DD but I don't think that would have been enough to make a difference at the end of the DJ round. Even if she did that and then bet very conservative on the last DD, the miss would still have left her out of the lead.

Seems like I remember Alex saying: "which ever contestant comes up with the correct response will win approximately $18,000. Do they all get to keep the money?
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

silverscreentest wrote:
floridagator wrote:Ava was just so intense. And so thin! I could have stood to see her play a few more games. I will opine that if only one player had gotten FJ, it would have been her.
She reminded me of Julie Singer.
I agree with the Julie Singer comparison.

35 right.

Civil War (5), Animals (0), Doll (2), "American" (4), Movies (4), Food Backwards (4)
Kung (1), Pope (3), Music (3), Europe (5), 1300s (4), "Age" (0)

Lach Trash: "American Library Association" (DD)

I'm familiar with that term, but it didn't come to mind in the 30 seconds.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Not Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee? Must be Jet Li. A fair amount of Lach Trash for me tonight, and an easy FJ (with about 5-10 sec of thought). Steve's buzzer mojo seems to have departed him in this game. Kudos to Adam for the win.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

While I would like to ascribe missing FJ to my level of inebriation when the show aired, I think I just had a brain fart, couldn't think of anything good and said "Personal Hero." :oops:
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was a total gimme. Hard to complain about a 5/5 week but meh...the FJs this week were kinda subpar.
I got this FJ, but I have to ask: How many people knew Robert K. Merton coined it? And if you didn't know that, how could you be 100% sure you'd found the right 2-word phrase? FJs like this are tough because you just have to free associate until you happen upon something that feels sufficiently correct. And if you don't get there in 30 seconds, you're just out of luck. So, no, I wouldn't call it a "total gimme."
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

naurae29 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was a total gimme. Hard to complain about a 5/5 week but meh...the FJs this week were kinda subpar.
I got this FJ, but I have to ask: How many people knew Robert K. Merton coined it? And if you didn't know that, how could you be 100% sure you'd found the right 2-word phrase? FJs like this are tough because you just have to free associate until you happen upon something that feels sufficiently correct. And if you don't get there in 30 seconds, you're just out of luck. So, no, I wouldn't call it a "total gimme."
Who cares if no one knew Robert K. Merton? Why is that important?

With "aspire" and "applied to athlete" what other term would there be? This was a piece of cake.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

OSXpert wrote:While I would like to ascribe missing FJ to my level of inebriation when the show aired, I think I just had a brain fart, couldn't think of anything good and said "Personal Hero." :oops:
I had a similar problem.

Obviously I'm familiar with the term "role model". Everyone is.

But when I was brainstorming, the best I could do was "idol... superstar... hero... someone you admire... someone you look up to..." I obviously understood the concept, but the exact two-word phrase in question just didn't pop into my head.

It's annoying and frustrating. But sometimes it happens that way. It almost feels like randomness or luck. It's hard to just "decide" to pick more synonyms or near-synonyms. I mean, maybe there are ways of training yourself to be better at it, but it definitely feels like there's a very strong element of random free-association.