Tuesday, January 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

flemmingfan wrote:I think the fj clue should have included the words "present day" states.
Given that there were no states in 1722, that was pretty much implied, yeah?

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:I'm proud of getting this one. I knew immediately the rivers were Mississippi-Missouri, but I don't visualize the map easily, so I was far from confident that Illinois was the right state to pair Missouri with. But I stuck with it. I wonder if there's a passage in Mark Twain where he talks about that confluence...
I'm proud of you too, buddy. I visualize the map pretty well but have only the haziest idea of the course of rivers. (To complicate things, I just found out that the Platte River nearby in the Kansas City area is NOT the same as the Platte River in Nebraska. I give up.) I just couldn't picture where the Missouri River met the mighty Miss. So I gave up on that line of reasoning and went with New York/New Jersey for no good reason at all. I'm as stupid as a contestant.

There's a passage in Huck Finn where Huck talks about their raft popping out into a huge waterway. Might be where the Mississippi meets the Missouri. Or it might be where it meets the Ohio. I don't recall.

Either way, it would indicate that the Mississippi isn't that impressive a river north of the Missouri or Ohio. Anyone know if that's correct? If so, why does the river south of the confluence get called the Mississippi? Why not see it as a continuation of the Missouri or of the Ohio? When two rivers meet who decides which name is given to the combined river? How do they decide? Shouldn't we be more progressive and start calling the rivers by hyphenated names?

joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

cosmos wrote:I learned "confluence" from Howard Cosell on MNF :D

"This is Howard Cosell, from Three Rivers Stadium at the confluence of the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongahela rivers, where tonight the Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Oakland Raiders..."
The Mets' late announcer Lindsey Nelson always used that line also, often pointing out that Pittsburgh was the only stop on the schedule where he got to use the word "confluence".

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:After yesterday's excitement, it's nice to get back to the boring, run-of-the-mill terrible wagers.
There's just something about being in a very close 2nd place, that shouts: "Bet it All, Bet it All"
There may be something that calls out like the sirens, but it lures only the unprepared to their J! demises. On the other hand, there are usually plenty of unwary (and strategically unprepared) who respond and crash on the rocks as Matt did. It is so sad to see people get their only chance in a lifetime, and just throw it away like this.

And I agree the FJ was a steaming dog pile. It seemed to amount to "guess a place in the New World where two states come together that's really, what, beautiful?" Just garbage.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I said Michigan and Ohio for FJ, misled by inclusion of "Charlevoix" (I know there's a city by that name in Michigan)...although if I had thought more, confluence would imply the meeting of two major rivers.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
skullturf wrote:
OSXpert wrote:No one knows LBJ on sight?!
I definitely know LBJ on sight, but my problem was I thought, "Oh, crud. What was his daughter's name again? Not Lady Bird (that's his wife), but something similar..."
At least you could rule out his basketball playing son.
Uh, Lyndon had two daughters, no sons. I don't believe he and Magic were related by blood.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
skullturf wrote:
OSXpert wrote:No one knows LBJ on sight?!
I definitely know LBJ on sight, but my problem was I thought, "Oh, crud. What was his daughter's name again? Not Lady Bird (that's his wife), but something similar..."
At least you could rule out his basketball playing son.
Uh, Lyndon had two daughters, no sons. I don't believe he and Magic were related by blood.
I took his joke to imply the famous hick from French Lick.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I thought the joke had to do with LBJ and LBJ.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was going for Larry Bird Johnson as Kirk surmised. You know, Lady Bird, Lynda Bird, Larry Bird.... But I love the other interpretations too.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Either way, it would indicate that the Mississippi isn't that impressive a river north of the Missouri or Ohio. Anyone know if that's correct? If so, why does the river south of the confluence get called the Mississippi? Why not see it as a continuation of the Missouri or of the Ohio? When two rivers meet who decides which name is given to the combined river? How do they decide? Shouldn't we be more progressive and start calling the rivers by hyphenated names?
The Mississippi is still a large river N of its junction with the Missouri, but it doesn't become the Mighty Mississippi until afterward. Its confluence with the Ohio just a bit downstream of there is fascinating as the waters are so different in color. You can clearly see the point where the brownish water of the Ohio joins the bluer water of the Mississippi.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: Either way, it would indicate that the Mississippi isn't that impressive a river north of the Missouri or Ohio. Anyone know if that's correct? If so, why does the river south of the confluence get called the Mississippi? Why not see it as a continuation of the Missouri or of the Ohio? When two rivers meet who decides which name is given to the combined river? How do they decide? Shouldn't we be more progressive and start calling the rivers by hyphenated names?
The Mississippi is still a large river N of its junction with the Missouri, but it doesn't become the Mighty Mississippi until afterward. Its confluence with the Ohio just a bit downstream of there is fascinating as the waters are so different in color. You can clearly see the point where the brownish water of the Ohio joins the bluer water of the Mississippi.
Interesting that the Mississippi is bluer up north, because I always think of it as "Big Muddy." And when I saw the part that flows through St. Louis a couple of years ago, it was definitely very brown.

ETA: what's embarrassing for me is that I'm pretty sure that during that trip to Saint Louee, I came across references to the confluence of the Miss. and Missou rivers being near that city. (The Lewis & Clark expedition began at that confluence, which today is the site of Edward "Ted" and Pat Jones-Confluence Point State Park (yes, that's the official name of the park).) And I knew that Illinois was across the river from St. Louis; I was even driven through sketchy East St. Louis, Ill. to take some photos of the arch from across the Mississippi. But recollection of that knowledge -- or recognition that it was relevant to the clue -- just wasn't happening for me during the think music last night.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

For that FJ, "confluence" wasn't the only TOM. The explorer had a French name, which was a clue that it was part of Louisiana Purchase land. I insta-guessed it, since it seemed pretty straightforward.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
OSXpert wrote:FJ thought process was:

"Obviously somewhere on the Mississippi" --> BLANK --> BLANK --> Mississippi and Louisiana I guess.

I like crosswords and puns, so I liked that category but I'm not sure how popular that will be.

No one knows LBJ on sight?!
I knew it was LBJ but had no idea which daughter it was, how the heck should I know when they got married?

I did guess they were going for the Mississippi River but also had LA and Mississippi. I agree with econgator it was a major WTF FJ.

I liked the crossword category. I think all crossword categories should give you random letters in the word instead of just the first one. I mean, isn't that what you deal with when solving real crosswords?

LOL at F. Murray Abraham being in the same game as Mozart. Nice job, writers. It doesn't make up for heat crappy FJ, but still nice.
Worst answer here: I recognized LBJ on sight, but thought his daughter was Pat Nixon. :blush:

Whoever has the trophy for "Stupidest Response Admitted To On The Board", you can hand the trophy to me.

Am I the only one to instaget this FJ as a geography geek? I know that a confluence is where two things meet (not just rivers, one of my favourite sites, http://www.confluence.org , has people submit photos from where lines of latitude and longitude meet. Incredibly fascinating.) and figured that the two mightiest rivers in the continent meeting would qualify. Took a few seconds to remember what states are there, but I still got it before Alex was done reading.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

evanakm wrote:The explorer had a French name, which was a clue that it was part of Louisiana Purchase land.
Sure, and I agree that "Misssissippi River and Missouri River" seems reasonably obvious after the fact, but the Louisiana purchase is a pretty large piece of land.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Woof wrote:
Interesting that the Mississippi is bluer up north, because I always think of it as "Big Muddy." And when I saw the part that flows through St. Louis a couple of years ago, it was definitely very brown.

ETA: what's embarrassing for me is that I'm pretty sure that during that trip to Saint Louee, I came across references to the confluence of the Miss. and Missou rivers being near that city. (The Lewis & Clark expedition began at that confluence, which today is the site of Edward "Ted" and Pat Jones-Confluence Point State Park (yes, that's the official name of the park).) And I knew that Illinois was across the river from St. Louis; I was even driven through sketchy East St. Louis, Ill. to take some photos of the arch from across the Mississippi. But recollection of that knowledge -- or recognition that it was relevant to the clue -- just wasn't happening for me during the think music last night.
One of my favourite places to visit in the US (if not the favourite) is the headwaters of the Mississippi, been there a few times (and it's the go-to picture in my kids minds when I mention the US, especially in the context of visiting that country). I get a kick out of the fact that you can walk across the "mighty Mississippi" there (which is nothing more than a creek or a stream at that point), but then I remember I've never seen the "mighty Mississippi", furthest downstream I've been is Minneapolis (the river is fair sized there, maybe slightly larger than the Red River in Winnipeg, but nothing spectacular). I remember one time when we were at the headwaters and I read how long it takes for the waters to reach the Gulf of Mexico (I think it was four weeks) and I made a mental note of what day that would roughly be when the waters I was looking at would reach the Gulf. By a stroke of luck I did get to see what may have been those very same waters I walked across barefoot reach the Gulf - on TV, in news coverage of the ongoing Hurricane Katrina.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote:
evanakm wrote:The explorer had a French name, which was a clue that it was part of Louisiana Purchase land.
Sure, and I agree that "Misssissippi River and Missouri River" seems reasonably obvious after the fact, but the Louisiana purchase is a pretty large piece of land.
Yeah, I can see plenty of people getting this FJ, but I don't see how it could be an instaget. You've still got a series of dots to connect to get to Missouri and Illinois.

brit67chick

Post by brit67chick »

I have a couple of general questions about clues, but I am unable to start a new thread (perhaps because I am a newly registered user?). I get a message that says "you cannot post on this forum."

1/ Plurals/Possessives: If the questions asks "South Africa's national Rugby team is named for this antelope that springs about" and I answer springbokS with an S, would that be counted as an incorrect response? Or how about if I respond "Nelson'S" for "His London "column", including his statue by E.H. Baily, was completed in 1843" instead of Nelson?

2/ British/American: One question a few weeks ago asked what the British "Dole" was. The answer was "welfare." I would have responded "unemployment." I am British, and I used to collect my dole check when I was 17...it's definitely unemployment, not welfare. IF I got on the show, how does challenging questions work?

Thanks, and apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place :)

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Woof wrote:I'd like to propose a new metric for this board: face palm quotient (FPQ) -- the number of times in a J! Broadcast that you reflexively bury your face in your hands (some may substitute the head desk quotient for alternate viewing scenarios).
This. I yelled out "People!" at least half a dozen times last night on some of those triple stumpers.
I could've gotten Final with 5 more seconds. I thought of the confluence of three rivers in Pittsburgh first, but I knew that wasn't on the border of two states. Then I went downstream to the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi and wrote "Illinois and Kentucky." Ooh sorry, you picked the wrong one, as they meet on the border of three states.
I'd be interested to see how many boardies got the $1000 clue in NFL Nicknames. That clue might've even been a triple stumper on Sports Jeopardy, but this Charger fan knew it. Alworth was the greatest WR of his day, but he's not well-known anymore, his nickname even less so. The rediscovery of his Super Bowl ring (when he was with the Cowboys in 1971) made the news a while ago.
Hoping for a third lap

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

sarisson wrote:I'd be interested to see how many boardies got the $1000 clue in NFL Nicknames. That clue might've even been a triple stumper on Sports Jeopardy, but this Charger fan knew it. Alworth was the greatest WR of his day, but he's not well-known anymore, his nickname even less so. The rediscovery of his Super Bowl ring (when he was with the Cowboys in 1971) made the news a while ago.
I was going to clam on it, but Alex's intonation/hesitance in negging "Annie" suggested strongly that the correct response was "Little Orphan Annie," and I (along with the female contestant) ended up taking the bait. I'm not sure if I'd ever before heard of Alworth, but I definitely hadn't heard the "Bambi" nickname.
Sprinkles are for winners.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

sarisson wrote:
Woof wrote:I'd like to propose a new metric for this board: face palm quotient (FPQ) -- the number of times in a J! Broadcast that you reflexively bury your face in your hands (some may substitute the head desk quotient for alternate viewing scenarios).
This. I yelled out "People!" at least half a dozen times last night on some of those triple stumpers.
I could've gotten Final with 5 more seconds. I thought of the confluence of three rivers in Pittsburgh first, but I knew that wasn't on the border of two states. Then I went downstream to the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi and wrote "Illinois and Kentucky." Ooh sorry, you picked the wrong one, as they meet on the border of three states.
I'd be interested to see how many boardies got the $1000 clue in NFL Nicknames. That clue might've even been a triple stumper on Sports Jeopardy, but this Charger fan knew it. Alworth was the greatest WR of his day, but he's not well-known anymore, his nickname even less so. The rediscovery of his Super Bowl ring (when he was with the Cowboys in 1971) made the news a while ago.
Sportscenter on ESPN recently ran a piece on a 100 year old Charger fan, Alworth made an appearance in it.