Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jgpeterson »

econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I assume "Madame Butterfly" is unacceptable ("M. Butterfly")?
Very much unacceptable.

So, imagine my surprise when I heard that Scream was the correct response. Having never seen any of them, I had no clue what the villain looked like. I thought of Voldemort from the Harry Potter series. This one will get my vote for hardest of the first half (yes, I realize that the movie and picture have essentially the same name, but I would have no reason to make that connection).
I was also surprised that Scream was correct. I knew Munch's The Scream was the work in question, but the title didn't translate into a get for me. I was trying to picture something more iconic, but all that came to me was Jim Carey's The Mask. Absurd, this Jeopardy! game.

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

gabor, sorry to see you go, but you had a great run and i expect you're proud of your performance. at any rate, you certainly should be.

mythbusters contributed to leaving some clues on the board, but i was getting a little annoyed at alex (johnson), who not only forgot he was in control of the board at one point, but also said "let's go with the tony award for best play, for [dollar amount], please" Every Single Time. during my shows, maggie and glenn came out every break and reminded us, "shorten those category names. get as much money off the board as you can!" make it snappy, folks. the other alex didn't help, either, by going on and on about the mythbusters guys even after he'd given the <1 minute warning.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I get this email from Amazon about 15 minutes ago showing some Bluray movies I might be interested in. Half-way down the page, is, of course ....

http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Five-Film- ... 677&sr=8-4

Couldn't you have come yesterday at this time? :)

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

There is a fragment here that will have problems on any kind of Music FJ clue and another section that can get tripped up on any kind of Movies FJ clue. Those that miss clues in those categories can handle the tough Geography or Word/Phrase Origin clues in a snap where the movie/music type viewers chalk up a miss.

I'm in the group where I'm surprised at all the misses posted so far for the FJ clue. Really? Name the famous painting. Does it match a series of movies? Done.

Gabor had to know he was finished on the show upon the clue's reveal. He can have his choice (There are more than a handful) of points in the game all the way through his wager where one thing could have changed the result. Two wins and big bucks are great, but the "Who knows?" factor for future games will always be out there.

Perhaps after tomorrow's game Gabor will post he had no shot at the FJ clue and the TOC possibility we thought about tonight can be squashed in the "What If" game.

Ceramics last played in the DJ round was fine by me. I was happy to get two there.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My only guess in FJ was Halloween, given the time of year. I've never seen any of the movies, but I've seen the villain's picture, but it did not register in time. I also did not know Muncsh was Norwegian.

Sunny made another mistake taking a stab at the $1,200 Ceramics clue. Had she clammed, she has a $1,800 lead with the bottom two clues left and control of the board. Gabor cannot pass her by getting the $1,600 clue. But time ran out so it didn't matter.

If Alex hadn't laughed at the seesaw clue, they could have finished the board.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On seeing "K"ountries, I knew that was a category I'd go through from the bottom up. When Gabor hit the DD, I said "Bet it all!" I got myself into a panic running down the west coast of Africa, reread the clue, and managed to shout out Kenya just before Gabor got it out. I couldn't have told you where Kenya was, or even that it was an east coast country, but once I got away from West Africa, I had no problem naming what turns out to be the only African "K"ountry.

I once heard that that mask (which I remember seeing before the Scream series made it popular) had been based on Munch's painting, so it was instaget for me. And then I realized that they were very obviously pointing at a painting called "The Scream," and groaned at how easy they had made it. Congrats and condolences, bigbor!

(P.S. I found it funny, since one time at pub quiz last year, I grilled my dad and Gabor on the Pavlovian Scandinavians. Danish philosopher, Finnish composer, Swedish playwright, Norwegian artist, etc.)

bigbor
Valued Contributor

Post by bigbor »

Congratulations to Sunny on her well earned victory. She played a heck of a game and was the best player today. I actually didn't realize during the taping that she had bet for the tie. Had I realized it at that time, I would have slept just fine afterwards. There was no way that I was going to make an irrational wager hoping that another player would do the same. Immediately after the game Sunny leaned over and told me that in college she was a projectionist and so she saw Scream a bunch of times when it was first out.

As soon as I saw FJ, I knew I was toast. This was the game where I needed an insanely hard FJ. Assuming rational wagering by Sunny, I tried to bet in a way that if she negged, then I would win regardless of my answer and Alex's answer.

This board, and double jeopardy in particular, didn't favor me. Alex had been talking all day about his theater experience, imagine when "Tony Awards" pops up! I had a few painful negs including the Miss Saigon for M. Butterfly (which I mouthed immediately after negging) and the archangel neg (I've always associated archangel with Gabriel, since it's so close to my name). Once I started falling behind I knew I was in trouble, ceramics was not going to save me. Weird thoughts came in my head during the game like "Why didn't I take ceramics for just one year in high school instead of 3 years of photography?"

I am happy with the way I played and have no regrets. I had a great time and I will echo everyone else's sentiments in saying that Maggie, Robert, Glen, and the whole production crew are a class act and appearing on the show was a complete blast. I wish Sunny retroactive luck and I'm rooting for all the boardies in the upcoming TOC!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:This should've been instaget but, being the one that always approaches FJs from the wrong angle, I tried to think of the movie series first. :roll: Thankfully, the light went off with 5 seconds left, Norwegian ->Munch -> oh, right...

ETA: though obviously, one would need to have seen the villain's mask once or twice.
Considering that I instantly knew what work they were talking about, I spent most of the time thinking what villain's visage most resembled "The Scream". Not being a horror fan at all, the "Scream" series never occurred to me; settled on Star Wars (closest villain I could think of to match the description was Emperor Palpatine), but the whole time I was wondering why they were obfuscating around actually naming the work of art. Upon reveal, it all made sense. (Where is that "headslap" smilie from the old board?)
alamble wrote:I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't finish out the Mythbusters category. I love Jamie and Adam.
Same here. BTW, does this post count as a precall? :mrgreen:

[ETA: I think I may have made that post on the day this episode was taped! (Confirmation, bigbor?) Pure coincidence, I swear!]

(I don't think Adam & Jamie were slow readers, per se, at least not Oprah or Y&R slow, but the problem with the Mythbusters, and most other celebrity-read clue, is that the clues that are written for them to say, no matter who they are, usually tend to be longer than average clues.
xxaaaxx wrote:
alamble wrote:I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't finish out the Mythbusters category. I love Jamie and Adam.
I've seen every episode, I recognized all 4 myths shown, and I was still laughing my head off. If I were in their shoes, they could've given me 1000 takes, I wouldn't have been able to deliver that seesaw clue with a straight face :mrgreen:
I was hoping (though I knew it was more like wishful thinking) that we would be asked to give the name of the juvenile female simulaid used in the myth.
Spoiler
It was Ariel. Get it? Aerial?
My favourite example of their quirky humour.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:With only three more regular games before the TofC, and SUnny becoming the new champion today, the TofC field is set
Three? Tomorrow's Friday, and ToCs usually start on a Monday, or did I not pay close attention to the date that was announced of the ToC?

(And I think someone (Joon?) already mentioned when Maggie said when the ToC cutoff was to the players in the greenroom.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Did anyone besides me find DJ easier than the J round tonight? I think that I probably clammed or missed 5-6 clues on the J board, but can't think of one that I missed in DJ. Barely pulled FJ out in time after spending too long flirting with Freddy Krueger before deciding that he wasn't close enough.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I absolutely loathe slasher movies; to me, they're nothing but stupid and unpleasant. I must do my best at ignoring their existence; even though I knew immediately what artist and painting and image they were talking about, including its name, I was either or had become entirely ignorant of the existence of a movie series of the same name. Aware of Friday 13, Halloween, and Saw series, I could only theorize Jason's hockey mask more resembled the Scream than anything else I could think of. Glad I wasn't there.

Great series of games, bigbor. This one could easily have fallen your way; it was a great game to watch. Bold move on the DD (not by a hair bold enough, though) in a category that begged for boldness. One thing I was impressed with about bigbor's play was his almost total discipline in giving only the last name unless more was required. Mae West is the only time I can think he violated that self-discipline, and that one is almost impossible to say without the first name.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

bomtr wrote:I absolutely loathe slasher movies; to me, they're nothing but stupid and unpleasant. I must do my best at ignoring their existence; even though I knew immediately what artist and painting and image they were talking about, including its name, I was either or had become entirely ignorant of the existence of a movie series of the same name. Aware of Friday 13, Halloween, and Saw series, I could only theorize Jason's hockey mask more resembled the Scream than anything else I could think of. Glad I wasn't there.
Whatever may be the validity of the underlined generalization, the "Scream" series are not standard slasher movies. They are ironic satires of the genre that make fun of the "rules" and conventions of horror movies. A totally different vibe compared to something like the "Saw" series. And I found them quite entertaining, including the most recent sequel that came out earlier this year.

As for the FJ itself, instaget here; include me in the group that was surprised at what appears to be a relatively low get rate so far on this board (especially considering that the clue was a triple-get on the show).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dhkendall wrote:Three? Tomorrow's Friday, and ToCs usually start on a Monday, or did I not pay close attention to the date that was announced of the ToC?

(And I think someone (Joon?) already mentioned when Maggie said when the ToC cutoff was to the players in the greenroom.)
you weren't paying attention. ToC starts wednesday. and yes, it was me, although of course, i already knew who the 15 players in the field were, didn't i? anyway, here is the official link, which has been up for a couple of days.

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Funny, on NPR this afternoon they had an interview with M. Butterfly playwright David Henry Hwang about his new play Chinglish, opening on Broadway.

I find that I get many clues by listening to NPR; any other good news sources for Jeopardy material?

joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

jpahk wrote:gabor, sorry to see you go, but you had a great run and i expect you're proud of your performance. at any rate, you certainly should be.

mythbusters contributed to leaving some clues on the board, but i was getting a little annoyed at alex (johnson), who not only forgot he was in control of the board at one point, but also said "let's go with the tony award for best play, for [dollar amount], please" Every Single Time. during my shows, maggie and glenn came out every break and reminded us, "shorten those category names. get as much money off the board as you can!" make it snappy, folks. the other alex didn't help, either, by going on and on about the mythbusters guys even after he'd given the <1 minute warning.

And then they had to sneak in an Obama campaign spot.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Since I don't watch movies, I was completely lost on FJ.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Norwegian artist -> The Scream -> Scream movies, fits clue, done. wife got the painting right away but took about 10 seconds to get from there to the movies. neither of us have seen the movies, but the mask is pretty iconic.

Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

bigbor wrote:I actually didn't realize during the taping that she had bet for the tie. Had I realized it at that time, I would have slept just fine afterwards. There was no way that I was going to make an irrational wager hoping that another player would do the same.
Another impressive game, Gabor.

A lot of wagering strategy goes out the window if you start trying to predict irrational wagering by your opponent. In the most likely scenario, betting it all would have cut your chance of winning in half.

My bet the night before was similar in protecting my second place position, but it wasn't completely kosher in a crush situation. I felt very confident based on your play that you would bet to cover plus $1, but if you had offered a tie in our game, I would still be beating myself up.

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Count me as another who knew the painting immediately, but had a brain fart about the movies. (I said Voldemort, but I'm glad to see I was not alone in that!)

I was surprised that 'clay' (as a component of porcelain) was a triple stumper. And I got the archangel question immediately. When I call my husband an angel, he gets all (mock) offended and reminds me that no, he's an archangel. :D (He's a Michael, obviously...) And precalled Kenya from the category (it and the 'stans were all I could come up with before the clues were revealed.) I think I ran the category (I know I got Kosovo, but don't remember what the 5th one was - I'll have to check the archive for that.)

Nice run, Gabor - it's always fun watching a boardie play.