Tuesday, January 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:Anyone else surprised by a lack of BMS for (Alex) Haley? Arthur Hailey was pretty much his exact contemporary and a mega-bestselling author at the same time that Roots came out.
See, because the contestant said "Haley", there is no way that it could be confused with "Hailey".[/sarcasm]

Just one more to add to:
President named Kennedy, BMS
Senator named Kennedy, no BMS
Lord protector named Cromwell, no BMS
Actress named Smith, no BMS
Female senator named Clinton, BMS

As if we weren't getting drunk enough due to all of the other stuff mentioned in the other thread.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote:South Carolina may have hockey, but the Stanley Cup winners from 2006 play in North Carolina.
Yeah, Alex was confused (situation normal). For a few minutes he had me thinking that Lord Stanley was born in South Carolina, but nope.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had to take the clam on Guadalcanal. As Alex was reading I was preparing, "What is Midway?" and before he was done I was able to stop myself, "Wait, that's 1943, but someone will guess it." As the error happened I realized it was Guadalcanal, but I don't count such things the way I score even though it's a rebound playing for real.

Hammer: You know I'm always going to ask, so put it in your first post. Did you get Babe Ruth?

For a rare time I had to do the "Hammer" as I wrote nothing for the FJ! clue. I could not justify Kent, Ohio from the clue's wording and had nothing else. After time was over I was still trying to work out a guess and as Alex went to the players I left the country and wrote Saigon thinking some kind of war transmission.

I saw Apollo 13 on opening day and read Lost Moon by Lovell & Kluger. Unfortunately, that was so last century, so no help for a 30-second solve tonight. It would have been a nice "Ding!" moment to have figured out the clue in time. It's the kind of thing that would have been a hit for the SHC, or LL if I participated in that thing.

0/3 on the show and I will guess 35 - 45% on the weekly poll at most even with a fair amount of posters (including Hammer - WTG!) reporting success on the clue so far.

Boardie battles looming if Fred can win tomorrow. Otherwise he joins the 3x logjam.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $35,200
45 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Samuel Beckett (DD)

Wagering, man. It's a big deal, especially on a night like this with three good contestants, any of whom could easily have been a multi-day champion. I really love FJ!s like tonight's that are gettable by connecting the dots. What famous quote from 1970 with a city in it would be followed by an explanatory sentence of scientific mumbo-jumbo? Well, of course.

I was 50/50/90 between Midway and Guadalcanal on the $2000 clue in Coast Guard. Really wish I'd clammed until the rebound.
Johnblue wrote:32 correct in DJ
You must be watching the DVD version, with extended footage too hot for theaters!

Ugh, edit that to read 26 correct!!!! Good thing I didn't take the test tonight!
KathyWellsville
Contributor

Post by KathyWellsville »

Coryat $34,000

I was a junior in high school and listened to the recovery Apollo 13 during study hall. and never in a million years would I have gotten FJ.

I thought the Caravan clue was awful. a caravan is NOT a mobile home.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:That damn TCM short has made it impossible to watch pan-and-scan without noticing it.
35 years ago, watching a VHS videotape of "Bye Bye Birdie," my mother pointed out to me how we couldn't see everyone on our TV screen during the "Hymn for a Sunday Evening" number.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer: You know I'm always going to ask, so put it in your first post. Did you get Babe Ruth?
This time, no. I was thinking too recently and couldn't rewind to him in time.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I think I sort of understand Fred's wager. Most people who have more than 3/4 of the leader's score bet something small, and Fred was wagering so that if he got it wrong, and Sonam did a Zerg or Zerg+epsilon wager and missed, Fred would still be in the lead, while if they both got it right and Sonam did that wager instead of the one she actually did, Fred would win as well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:
MitchO wrote:Scribbled the answer, sloppy as hell, in the last two beats of the music. I'm counting it as legible. :p I think they could have been kinder with this FJ phrasing; adding the extra layer of "a listener in this city" was more diversionary than clue. I think I would have preferred if they said "The next line said after this famous one was ..."
Agree. The clue should have been worded to elicit the famous line.
I agree with the detractors. Seems kind of cruel to set contestants up for failure with "What is, 'Houston, we have a problem'"? "Oooohhh... sorry. So close." I suspect the clue was written the way it was to avoid that nastiness.
Yeah, I think it was a good clue. If you 'got' the quote you're going to get to Houston very quickly.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had to take the clam on Guadalcanal. As Alex was reading I was preparing, "What is Midway?" and before he was done I was able to stop myself, "Wait, that's 1943, but someone will guess it." As the error happened I realized it was Guadalcanal, but I don't count such things the way I score even though it's a rebound playing for real.
Batlle of Midway was June 1942. It was my kneejerk initial reaction given the date, but I realized as a purely naval battle there were too few Marines involved to fit the clue, so I would have clammed too, uncertain about the date of Guadalcanal.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Leander wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I had to take the clam on Guadalcanal. As Alex was reading I was preparing, "What is Midway?" and before he was done I was able to stop myself, "Wait, that's 1943, but someone will guess it." As the error happened I realized it was Guadalcanal, but I don't count such things the way I score even though it's a rebound playing for real.
Batlle of Midway was June 1942. It was my kneejerk initial reaction given the date, but I realized as a purely naval battle there were too few Marines involved to fit the clue, so I would have clammed too, uncertain about the date of Guadalcanal.
Didn't the clue specify that it was a "south Pacific" battle? I seem to remember thinking Midway couldn't be right because of that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

whatisbishkek wrote:
Leander wrote:
Didn't the clue specify that it was a "south Pacific" battle? I seem to remember thinking Midway couldn't be right because of that.
Thanks for the correction. So I was spared the neg because I had the wrong year for Midway. Lucky me. I must have been thinking the Midway video game for 1943 then.

Lots of clues in the Archive for both, so time for a refresher course since the year alone is not enough.
Opal
Contributor

Post by Opal »

I haven't posted in ages. Final was instaget for me, in fact, I got it before he had completely finished reading the clue. I've seen the Apollo 13 movie more times than I can count, and I've listened to the radio feed of the incident that's been posted online a few times too, so this was practically a dream clue for me. <-- Geek when it comes to that kind of stuff...

That "caravan" clue was absolutely incorrect. If it had affected the outcome, we would absolutely have seen another returning contestant. A "caravan" in the UK is what we know as an RV. What we know as "mobile homes" are called "static caravans" in the UK. Even my father who was born in England was confused since he had a "caravan" and it was definitely not a mobile home. It is not normal for a mobile home to go from place to place anyway, usually they are plopped in a mobile home park somewhere. RV's, on the other hand, can definitely go from place to place regularly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_trailer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_ho ... ed_Kingdom

Despite being horrendous in State Capitals, I got 3/5 in that "Northernmost..." category -- only missed Des Moines and Bismarck. Did my usual crappy on all the other categories...
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote:
jev15 wrote: Instaget FJ. Always liked the Tom Hanks movie, remember watching it as a family and being upset that it was the "letterbox" version, because I hadn't seen the TCM piece where Scorsese explains how much better letterbox is than pan and scan.
That damn TCM short has made it impossible to watch pan-and-scan without noticing it.
I have a brother in law who gets really mad when movies are letterboxed. I wonder if Scorcese could convince him.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote: Fred seems like a nice guy, but he needs to take a five hour energy shot.
That was my thinking. How did he get through the contestant search process when it seemingly takes him forever to pick the next clue? I find myself rooting against him not because I don't like him, but because I don't like unrevealed clues. The editing that will have to go on if he makes the tournament of champions will be quite challenging.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by skullturf »

theFJguy wrote:20th Century America

The 1970 follow-up line "We've had a main B bus undervolt" was addressed to a listener in this city.
I got this FJ (in my head in the studio audience) but when it was first revealed, I experience a second or two of mild quasi-panic where you can't "parse" the clue. It took me a few moments to make sense of it, and on another day, it might have taken me much longer.

At first, the word "bus" made me think of buses, the large passenger vehicles. But then I realized it was probably something else (the way USB stands for "universal serial bus") and I realized that furthermore, we probably weren't supposed to pay too much attention to the technical details, and we probably didn't need to know what "undervolt" means.

I realized we were probably supposed to treat the clue as "The 1970 follow-up line 'blah blah technical blah blah' was addressed to a listener in this city." (My girlfriend once told me that with some FJs, it's good to "squint", as it were, and not always look too carefully at certain details.)

I thought the word choice in "We've had a..." suggested that something had gone wrong. So think of a famous incident in 20th century America (more specifically, in the 1970s) where something technical went wrong.

Three Mile Island popped into my head. But I knew that was later in the 1970s, and the clue said 1970. So I tried to think of other famous 20th century events where something technical might have gone wrong -- something kind of science or engineering related, perhaps. And why is the city relevant? What's a famous incident where someone told someone else in a specific city that something technical had gone wrong? That made it click, but on another day, the process might have taken me too much time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

grindcore wrote:What in the bloodiest of hells was that final?
I didn't get to see this game live, so I asked my wife to write down the FJ clue for when I got home.

She read the category and the clue, and I said "Houston" before she managed to put the note down. I thought this clue practically SCREAMED Apollo 13, so it was about as insta- an Instaget as I've had in a long time.

And yeah, looking at those wagers above makes me wonder what the heck Fred is even thinking when he pulls a wager out of thin air. Man, oh man.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

brick wrote:
alietr wrote:
jev15 wrote: Instaget FJ. Always liked the Tom Hanks movie, remember watching it as a family and being upset that it was the "letterbox" version, because I hadn't seen the TCM piece where Scorsese explains how much better letterbox is than pan and scan.
That damn TCM short has made it impossible to watch pan-and-scan without noticing it.
I have a brother in law who gets really mad when movies are letterboxed. I wonder if Scorcese could convince him.
I'm kind of the opposite, especially with certain movies (e.g., the original Planet of the Apes, where the "see no evil" etc. joke of the tribunal is shown, and Airport, where a priest, while crossing himself, slaps the bejesus out of a hysterical passenger across the aisle.)

And I dare you to say you like pan-and-scan for the chariot race in Heston's version of Ben-Hur.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

BobF wrote:That was my thinking. How did he get through the contestant search process when it seemingly takes him forever to pick the next clue? I find myself rooting against him not because I don't like him, but because I don't like unrevealed clues. The editing that will have to go on if he makes the tournament of champions will be quite challenging.
The contestants cleared both boards last night, left 1 clue on Monday, and 3 on Friday… far from the worst we've seen as of late
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

whatisbishkek wrote:How was "identify the planet Jupiter from a picture of the planet" a $600 clue?

Speaking of Jupiter, FJ was an instaget for me and I then found myself wondering whether the fact that I recently watched 2001: A Space Odyssey helped me get it so easily, just by having put space disasters in my mind.
Conversely, if they had asked for the moon, that would've been the new glossary definition of negbait. (I wonder if during the testing of this clue it initially asked for the moon and then realized how putting 'ocean' and 'moon' together would -scream- Europa, even if they spotted you 'biggest moon of Jupiter'... it's an interesting theory at least.)

Instafinal. Concurring with the idea that they asked just for the city to avoid people quoting the movie over reality.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)