Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote:I always thought Macintosh was a botanist, with the apple bearing his name. I made up 'Lamin', going from laminate.

edit Some of you people who get J! in the morning have to wait on the rest of us. 6pm Mountain here.
Not the only one. I ended up going with 'Laminar.' Wouldn't have gotten Macintosh, not at all. (Currently the Wiki page on him is open, I'll be checking it over once I'm done here.)
dhkendall wrote: And a bit of a nit when Alex mentioned that the correct responses in a particular category "will be two letters you find side by side on your keyboard". Well, what about those of us who use Dvorak?* I wonder if any clue had an answer that would also have been correct if Dvorak was used, if it would have to be accepted ("Well, it's that way on *my* keyboard!" Barbara Lowe the contestant cries). (I know the state abbreviation one would be invalid, as "VZ" isn't a state abbreviation).

*ETA: Note: I am not one of those who use Dvorak, but would like to try to learn it sometime, and see how I do (I already type around 65 wpm on QWERTY (give or take a wpm or two in tests I've taken), so my Dvorak speed could be interesting ... )
If you're as adept at Dvorak as you are at Qwerty, you'll do about the same. That one report that everyone quotes saying Dvorak is faster? Made by Dvorak.
I can understand how it may have been faster in the typewriting era, but today's keys don't register or stick together in the same way. (My grandma had a typewriter. One of my pastimes (note: I was like...eight at the time) was trying to get every single key to stick to each other. I don't think i ever *quite* got all of them, but it'd be close! :lol: )

Messy messy game. Seven clues uncovered and it ran about average length too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i switched from qwerty to dvorak 14 years ago. indeed, it's about the same speed-wise (somewhere around 90 wpm either way), but my carpal tunnel/RSI seems to be much happier with dvorak. i can still touch-type in qwerty, but not as fast or as accurately as i once used to.

thought of "laminate" right away but i knew that came from the word lamina (latin "thin layer"), rather than an eponym. of course, ruling out laminate didn't actually help me think of macintosh.
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

I came up with Cape Horn immediately, but then was thrown by the clue saying it was named after a Dutch birthplace. I had always thought it was named for its shape.