Thursday, January 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, January 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

Here's one possible take on the subject of initial letters and titles starting with "The":

One could argue that if Alex said

"Each of the correct responses will begin with O"

then that (arguably) eliminates "The Old Man and the Sea" from consideration, but if he instead had said

"Each of the clues will have a correct response that begins with O"

then everything would be fine.

By standard Jeopardy! rules, the clue in question had two correct responses: "The Old Man and the Sea" and "Old Man and the Sea". So technically, it is not true that all correct responses begin with the letter O, but the clue does have a correct response that begins with O.

I guess it would also be fine if Alex said something like "Each correct response is something that would be alphabetized under O." It's true that according to standard conventions, "The Old Man and the Sea" would be alphabetized under O. (It's also true that the words "The Old Man and the Sea" start with the letter T.)
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

I take it "What is 'The Old Man and the Sea'?" would have been counted as a correct response, despite it not starting with "O"?

Those who have been contestants: what sort of information are you given as to the rules? Is there an official rulebook that you're given?
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Easy. Just answer "there is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a "T" and not an "O."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I now have a very irritating idea for an SHC submission... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woppy T wrote:Easy. Just answer "there is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a "T" and not an "O."
Oooh. I'm sorry. As you know, here on Jeopardy, our contestants are instructed to respond in the form of a question.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Re: Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by SavoyGirl »

[quote="theFJguy"]British Musical Theatre

A critic said "I doubt if there is a single joke in" this 1885 work "that fits the Japanese. But all the jokes... fit the English"
Spoiler
What is The Mikado?
This category was about as wheelhouse as it gets for me (My nom de nette refers the Savoy Operas, by Gilbert & Sullivan). As soon as it was revealed I thought "It MUST be Gilbert & Sullivan!!!" Then the possibility of something about Andrew Lloyd Webber or the musical "Oliver!" passed through my mind (I had pre-called "Oliver Twist" for the literary "O" category, so it was still hanging in the air. I could handle any of that. If I were a contestant, the temptation to toss Keith's wagering strategies out the window and go all Clavin would have been irresistible.

The reveal was so ridiculously easy, I spent the 30 seconds wondering what critic it was that would have said such a stupidly obvious thing. No one for a second in 1885 thought that any of the jokes had anything to do with Japan. It was all thinly veiled satire on the British.

Recently there have been protests by Asian-American groups against productions of THE MIKADO, claiming that having mostly white casts dressing in costumes, wigs and makeup to look Japanese is offensive. Would have been interesting if they'd come up with a clue referencing this controversy. An amateur production in Seattle was picketed last year and a few months ago a professional company in NYC cancelled their production to avoid protests. On the other hand, MIKADO has been performed in Japan and nobody there ever complained.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:Fred still has a pretty decent shot at making the TOC, although it's not assured. I do hope he makes it; he has a good knowledge base, is fun to watch, and his wagering peccadilloes are easily fixable.
I agree with everything except that last part. Most contestants figure out how to make a shutout bet without assistance. Since Fred didn't, I wonder if he's got a mental block toward math and numbers. That can be a hard thing to autodidact your way out of.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Fred still has a pretty decent shot at making the TOC, although it's not assured. I do hope he makes it; he has a good knowledge base, is fun to watch, and his wagering peccadilloes are easily fixable.
I agree with everything except that last part. Most contestants figure out how to make a shutout bet without assistance. Since Fred didn't, I wonder if he's got a mental block toward math and numbers. That can be a hard thing to autodidact your way out of.
He doesn't have to autodidact his way out of it. Many people are assuming that at some point, Fred will receive assistance from Keith -- either directly, or through Keith's site.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Pretty terrible, Fred...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

hbomb1947 wrote: So congrats to Mara on the win. It was funny to see the Venn diagram clue come up, given her avatar on this board; and a shame she couldn't get in on that clue. :) I look forward to her game against fellow boardie Chris tomorrow.
A lot of the discussion of Boardie appearances has been on the "timing of audition emails" thread and not on the "Boardie initial air dates" thread, so I had been aware that skullturf's girlfriend would be appearing this week, but I didn't know her "handle". Just now, I became aware of which Boardie she is, which made the Venn Diagram question a nice Easter egg for me.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Hey, Llamas: Remember how The Mikado came up on December 17? (http://www.learnedleague.com/question.php?67&25&6) That was two days after we taped this episode! #smalltriviaworld
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Mara! I totally did not put 2 and 2 together on your appearance.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
He doesn't have to autodidact his way out of it. Many people are assuming that at some point, Fred will receive assistance from Keith -- either directly, or through Keith's site.
If it's not direct, I'd include that in what I meant by autodidact. In my understanding, autodidacts are allowed to read books and watch online tutorials. They don't have to derive everything from first principles. Going to Keith's site would be part of the autodidactic process. But I think someone with a mental block will find that site hopelessly confusing. They probably won't even check it out. It's too obviously scary. Now if a cheerleader coach emerges to cajole them through the process, they might get somewhere.

Fred, if you're reading this, I would be happy to cajole you. (Why does that sound so dirty?)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

mahatma wrote:
Woppy T wrote:Easy. Just answer "there is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a "T" and not an "O."
Oooh. I'm sorry. As you know, here on Jeopardy, our contestants are instructed to respond in the form of a question.
Correct incorrect response: "WHY IS there is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a "T" and not an "O."
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

goatman wrote:
mahatma wrote:
Correct incorrect response: "WHY IS there is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a "T" and not an "O."
Or how about this: "Are the writers on drugs? There is no correct response to this clue because I know that the quote in question is from The Old Man and the Sea because I have read it a hundred times but that starts with a 'T' and not an 'O.'"
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

BobF wrote:I have to wonder if Fred held back on his wager due to the category. I know I might have wagered conservatively (and then kicked myself as it was an instaguess).
What you said...
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...