Tuesday, February 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7232, 2016-02-09

2016 College Championship semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Hannah Norem, a sophomore from Augustana University from Houston, Texas
Sam Deutsch, a junior from the University of Southern California from Bethesda, Maryland
Emily Bingham, a senior at Wright State University from Dayton, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. One player waiting in the wings ready to come back later this week to play in the championship match for $100,000. Who gets to join her? Hannah, Sam, or Emily? We're gonna start finding out right now. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW (4/5)
WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL ARE YOU? (2/5)
4-SYLLABLE WORDS (4/5)
STATE CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GEEK OUT (3/5)
RECENT MUSIC (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 8 R, 0 W
Emily: 8 R, 2 W
Hannah: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hannah found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Emily had $600, Sam had $1,400, and Hannah was at $1,800. Hannah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

STATE CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $1000: Blue Bayou Water Park &
Dixie Landin' Amusement Park
(Hannah: What is Nashville?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $2,400
Emily: $1,200
Hannah: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Hannah Norem is a young lady from Houston, Texas, who got to experience something that a lot of us have wondered about over the years. And that is what it would've been like living in the olden, olden, olden times. You got to spear a mammoth.

Hannah: That's right. It wasn't a real mammoth, though. I hate to let you down.

Alex: Thank you for clarifying that.

Hannah: Yep. Nope, it was made out of foamboard, but it--it seemed real as I was spearing it. No. Um, I took an anthropology class and, um, one day, I actually came late because I had to take my Jeopardy! test. But I...I just said--they said, "Hannah, you're--you're gonna spear a mammoth." And I was like, "Okay." So I just--I leaned back and I just launched it. And it's really, really hard.

[Laughter]

Alex: And did you hit it? They're pretty big. You can't miss 'em.

Hannah: I--yeah. You'd think that, but while they're moving, it's--it's really hard to hit. So I hit him like in its backside, just wounded him.

Alex: Oh.

Hannah: Yeah.

Alex: He's gonna come back and get you.

[Laughter]

Hannah: That's right.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Sam Deutsch is a junior from USC--the University of Southern California. And you're into music, I gather, but a particular musician--Kanye West.

Sam: Yes.

Alex: Who has become a great inspiration for you. In what way?

Sam: I mean, honestly, every way. Um, he is music, of course, but also, he's recently been getting into fashion, which I really respect. He has some great shoes coming out. Um, that's not a promotion or anything. Just everybody would agree with me on that.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Sam: And finally, um, just his aura. He really carries himself in a way that--he's his own man. I respect that.

Alex: Didn't he indicate at some point that he might consider running for president?

Sam: I'm voting for him.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Emily Bingham, a senior at Wright State University. She is from Dayton, Ohio. And... are you studying on a scholarship?

Emily: I am. Um, I actually got my--received my school's top honors scholarship, which has afforded me a lot of opportunities that, uh--I got to go around and speak in a bunch of different pockets of alumni around the country and talk to them about my scholarship and, uh, encouraging them to donate to Wright State.

Alex: So you getting a scholarship inspired you to go around and encourage others to do the same thing?

Emily: Yes. Yeah, so that other students after me can get that, too.

Alex: There's a lot of scholarships available out there. And kids don't take advantage all the time.

Emily: Mm-hmm. That's true. Yes.

Alex: So they should. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1000: In math the product of any expression & its this is 1
(Emily: What is identity?)

GEEK OUT $800: Use your hyperspace drive to jump from star to star in the gaming app FTL, which stands for this

GEEK OUT $1000: Over 100,000 home computers are helping Stanford study protein assembly in the program called this@home

THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) As the exceedingly lank schoolmaster heads for the bridge near the story's end, he "casts a look behind to see if his pursuer should vanish... in a flash of fire and" this, but is disappointed
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Emily.)

WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL ARE YOU? $1000: Eider &
Muscovy

WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL ARE YOU? $800: Anole &
frilled

WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL ARE YOU? $600: Spectacled &
American black

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $3,600
Emily: $2,200
Hannah: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 2015 NOBEL PRIZES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RELIGION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE "ZONE" (2/3)
LEATHER (2/5)
A HISTORY LESSON (5/5)
EARLY 21st CENTURY CINEMA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Emily: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Hannah: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hannah snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Emily had $4,200, Sam had $5,600, and Hannah was at $4,000. Hannah wagered $3,500.

RELIGION $2000: "The Way" to spell this ancient Asian religion & philosophy?--with a "T" or a "D"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Emily who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Emily had $7,000, Sam had $9,200, and Hannah was at $10,300. Emily wagered $3,500.

THE 2015 NOBEL PRIZES $1200: The Physics prize was for the discovery that these subatomic particles oscillate & therefore actually have mass
(Emily: What is a neutron?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LEATHER $1200: Ironically, Seth Boyden never legally protected his process to make the high-gloss leather with this name

LEATHER $800: Used on leather, this type of soap is named for an equestrian item

THE 2015 NOBEL PRIZES $1600: The Peace prize went to the National Dialogue Quartet of this North African country
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

LEATHER $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew holds a piece of leather.) This type of soft leather is named for a European mountain goat antelope whose skin was used in cleaning & shining
(Hannah: What is suede?)

IN THE "ZONE" $2000: Stephen King novel & movie title
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sam: $12,800
Hannah: $9,100
Emily: $5,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Sam: Wager $5,401 to cover Hannah.
Hannah: You need to wager $1,101 to cover Emily's doubled score, but no more than $1,700 if you want to top Sam on a Triple Stumper.
Emily: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $2,300), you might try betting $4,001, playing for a win if Hannah tries to two-thirds Sam (though, from this position, a wager of all $5,100 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Hannah to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was originally published in 1915 under the German title "Die Verwandlung", meaning "The Transformation"

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $5,100 + $4,001 = $9,101 (What is The Metamorphosis?) (3rd place)
Hannah: $9,100 + $9,100 = $18,200 (What is Metamorphosis) (2nd place)
Sam: $12,800 + $5,401 = $18,201 (What is the Metamorphosis) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sam: $12,800, 17 R, 1 W
Hannah: $9,400, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $8,600, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 18/58 = .310
Emily: 16/59 = .271
Hannah: 13/60 = .217
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RECENT MUSIC $400: (Hi, I'm Eric Stonestreet of Modern Family.) I got to appear in this man's video for "Tacky", a parody of Pharrell's song "Happy"

GEEK OUT $400: 3D touch, already a feature of reality, is found on this 2015 model of the iPhone
(Emily: What is the iPhone 6?)

GEEK OUT $600: The character seen here represents this website

THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) I'm in Sleepy Hollow, New York, where the 18th century wooden span that this literary character would've used to escape danger has long rotted away, but the local cemetery has another one

THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) Sleepy Hollow's Old Dutch Church was founded around 1685; Washington Irving wrote that this character tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard

THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) The menacing trooper in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" became a supernatural being after some nameless battle during this war

THE LEGEND & TRUTH OF SLEEPY HOLLOW $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) Irving used this word for a German mercenary to describe the trooper whose head had been carried away by a cannonball

RELIGION $800: The man seen here is the 14th person to be known by this title

EARLY 21st CENTURY CINEMA $1600: (New York Times movie critic A.O. Scott gives the clue.) Julia Child could whip up a navarin of lamb for lunch but Meryl Streep eats young actresses for breakfast as she does in this 2009 film co-starring Amy Adams

THE 2015 NOBEL PRIZES $800: "Understanding Consumption" author Angus Deaton won this prize
(Hannah: What is the Nobel Prize for Literature?)

A HISTORY LESSON $400: Continent where the kingdom of New Granada was founded in the 16th century
(Sam: What is Europe?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Baton Rouge
reciprocal
Faster Than Light
Folding
brimstone
ducks
lizards
bears
Daoism
neutrinos
patent
saddle soap
Tunisia
chamois
The Dead Zone
The Metamorphosis (by Franz Kafka)
Weird Al
the iPhone 6s
Reddit
Ichabod Crane
the Headless Horseman
the Revolutionary War
Hessian
the Dalai Lama
Julie & Julia
the Nobel Prize for Economics
South America

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was originally published in 1915 under the German title "Die Verwandlung", meaning "The Transformation"

Emily Bingham: 5100+4001=9001
Sam Deutsch: 12800+5401=18201 (Finalist)
Hannah Norem: 9100+9100=18200

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
The Metamorphosis (Emily - (what looked like) Metamorphasis
Coryats
Emily: 8600
Sam: 12800
Hannah: 9400

Combined: 30,800

The game is complete in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5188
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm

So, James for James I doesn't need a BMS and 6 for 6S doesn't even get one? Alrighty then. I give up.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 pm

If my inner child wasn't already dead from multiple traumas caused by contestants past, that "Stephen King's ____ Zone" might've killed it. At least the end of the round saved us from the inevitable Twilight Zone TS, which would've made me feel old.

Hmm, a 1915 German work dealing with some sort of 'transformation'. Ok J! writers.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 pm

I left off "I" on yesterdays final, and I left off "The" today, but only because brevity is the soul of wit.

Ran the geek category, and would have run the film category except I said Mary Poppins for the nanny clue...

My Columbia buddy ducked out yesterday, so I was very glad to see a Trojan victory.
econgator wrote:So, James for James I doesn't need a BMS and 6 for 6S doesn't even get one? Alrighty then. I give up.
6 is just wrong, its not vague. The 6 came out a year earlier.

Plactus

Post by Plactus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:33 pm

econgator wrote:So, James for James I doesn't need a BMS and 6 for 6S doesn't even get one? Alrighty then. I give up.
BMSing 6 for 6S would give away which one it is.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Congrats to Sam on becoming a finalist. I had 45 correct responses including these triple stumpers: reciprocal, brimstone, ducks, bears, saddle soap, Tunisia, and chamois. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of Baton Rouge and neutrinos, and I got FJ.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Plactus wrote:
BMSing 6 for 6S would give away which one it is.
Then simply remain silent and give her a second.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

I thought "insomnia" was by far the easiest in 4 Syllable.

Middle guy's interview deserved an "I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish"

Geek out for $800 had me geek out, because I actually play FTL. Anyone else here play it?

Ran Animals, yay.

Transformation -> Metamorphosis? Kafka sounds German, let's go with it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought "insomnia" was by far the easiest in 4 Syllable.
I went in with narcolepsy. Oops
TenPoundHammer wrote:Geek out for $800 had me geek out, because I actually play FTL. Anyone else here play it?
Yes, its an awesome game.

Also, was Brom Bones wrong for the headless horsemen? He impersonates him, but I guess they weren't talking about him when they said he always hitched his horse up at that place.

Brimstone was an odd stand and stare.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Geek out for $800 had me geek out, because I actually play FTL. Anyone else here play it?
I have.

mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:55 pm

I ran categories on music and religion? Place your bets on a Cubs World Series, because hell has frozen over.

This has been one of the most fun group of college contestants to watch in a long time. High expectations for the finals.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:01 pm

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought "insomnia" was by far the easiest in 4 Syllable.
I went in with narcolepsy. Oops
Guilty.

Been meaning to try FTL, it's on my hard drive, but haven't made time for it yet.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 pm

That would be like asking for a BMS when the contestant answers "What is spider?" when the correct question is "What is spider monkey?" A 6S is not a subset of 6, it's a different model.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Two completely different models. I have a 6. The 6 doesn't have that feature. The 6S, however, does.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:21 pm

A mere 44R but ran cats: Critters & Varmints; state caps; Legend of S.H. :-)

LT: FTL > Faster Than Light (Get from watching Battlestar religiously back in the 2000's!); Fire & BRIMSTONE; Eider/Muscovy DUCKS; Frilled LIZARDS; Spectacled, BLack American BEARS; PATENT leather; CHAMOIS leather; King > The Dead Zone. No get on Tunisia for 2015 Pax Prize "North Africa or 'folding@home': get on MDD: NEUTRINOS "have mass". :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 pm

I liked Sam's "This is not a paid endorsement for Kanye West's new album" shtick; his demeanor very nearly had me buying in. I liked his strategy in going for the movie clues also, just bad luck only being able to snag the 2K clue. Another solid game by all 3, and I guess I'm rooting for Sam in the finals.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Two completely different models. I have a 6. The 6 doesn't have that feature. The 6S, however, does.
Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know squat about cell phones.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Nothing came to me on FJ, went with Dracula.

Not as good as yesterday's game, looking forward to SF#3.