Thursday, February 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7234, 2016-02-11

2016 College Championship final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Sam Deutsch, a junior at the University of Southern California from Bethesda, Maryland
Niki Peters, a sophomore at the University of California, Berkeley originally from Boise, Idaho
Sarah Dubnik, a senior at the University of Pittsburgh from Jamison, Pennsylvania

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Wow. Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, folks. Hey, no matter how well you thought the quarterfinal games went last week or the semifinals earlier this week, this, the two-day finals, is really the most exciting part of the College Championship, because of the payday. At the end of tomorrow's program, one of these three players will be $100,000 richer. There'll be $50,000 for second place and $25,000 for the third-place finisher. So I want to wish you all good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT HISTORY: 1986 (3/4)
TERM: PAPER (4/5)
CELEBRITIES (3/5)
THE NORTH PACIFIC (4/5)
VIDEO GAME SLANG (2/3)
I'LL NEED A TRANSLATOR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 11 R, 1 W
Sarah: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Niki: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sarah had $800, Niki was scoreless, and Sam was at $400. Sarah wagered $1,000.

I'LL NEED A TRANSLATOR $800: A boring class can seem to go on & on, like this 2-word Latin phrase meaning "to the point of sickness"
[Alex adds an extra "& on" to his reading of the clue.]

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $3,800
Sarah: $2,200
Niki: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: In the very early days of our College Championships, the contestants would appear in their own clothing. And then, all of a sudden, we thought it was a good idea to show up, want to show school colors, and wear the team jersey. Now how do you feel about having to wear the team jersey on--in every one of your appearances, Sam?

Sam: Well, to be honest, I mean, I'm gonna let you in on a secret here, Alex. I still have the tags in the back, so... I'm...

[Laughter]

Sam: I'm ready to return it if I have to. [Laughs]

Sam: But with this money, I think I might just keep it.

Alex: Okay. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay, Niki Oeters, what about you? You're going back up to Berkeley. You've got the hoodie.

Niki: Yeah. Um, I really like being able to represent Berkeley and all that since it was my number one school and I'm so happy to be there. But since they did give me a sweatshirt for free, and I know I'm a big deal now because I got something for free, um, I have a feeling written into the thing that they signed when I got it if I don't win, I have to give it back, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah, okay. Good for you.

Alex: Sarah Dubnik is from the University of Pittsburgh. You gotta feel pretty good about representing your school wearing their jersey.

Sarah: Yeah, um, I'm really honored to be representing Pitt all the way over here.

Alex: Now what did some of the kids, or some of the teachers, tell you, uh, before you left for Southern California?

Sarah: Oh, well, actually, I kept it pretty quiet.

Alex: Really?

Sarah: Um, yeah, I'm kind of waiting to surprise everyone when I get back, but, um, yeah. It just--some of--some of my friends and classmates I told, they were really excited for me.

Alex: Okay, now you said surprise. Would it be a really big surprise if you came home and said, "I am the Jeopardy! champion"?

Sarah: Yeah, definitely. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay, all right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT HISTORY: 1986 $800: A "people power" revolution in this country forced longtime leader Ferdinand Marcos into exile
(Sam: What is Portugal?)

TERM: PAPER $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew throws a paper airplane at you.) The light weight of this old-fashioned paper makes it good paper airplane material; if you know your produce, you can see why it has this 9-letter name

THE NORTH PACIFIC $800: This Mexican port 50 miles south of San Diego has been called the "Cinderella of the Pacific"
(Sarah: What is Puerto Vallarta?)

CELEBRITIES $1000: This star of "Orphan Black" is of Ukrainian, Polish, German, Austrian & Romanian ancestry

VIDEO GAME SLANG $1000: To defeat an enemy with overwhelming numbers is to do this, a term from "Starcraft"

CELEBRITIES $600: It's not just gossip, girl--this actor really is Tony Romo's brother-in-law

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $6,600
Sarah: $2,800
Niki: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOCTORS WITHIN BORDERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ONE-WORD FILM TITLES (5/5)
COLLEGE-SET LITERATURE (3/5)
MR. ROBOT (3/4)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "MID" SECTION (5/5) (Alex: "M-I-D" is gonna come up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Niki: 10 R, 0 W
Sam: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Sarah had $8,000, Niki had $2,400, and Sam was at $10,200. Sarah wagered $4,000.

DOCTORS WITHIN BORDERS $2000: In South Sudan Abdinasir Abubakar battles this water-borne infection that's caused 7 pandemics since 1800

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Sarah had $13,600, Niki had $2,400, and Sam was at $11,000. Sarah wagered $3,600.

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: PBS' "Capitol Fourth" often features this Russian piece written almost 70 years after its title year

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGE-SET LITERATURE $1600: This author known for his white suits set the novel "I Am Charlotte Simmons" at DuPont (don't call it Duke!) University

COLLEGE-SET LITERATURE $2000: Murder breaks the peace of Hampden College in this novel by Donna Tartt

DOCTORS WITHIN BORDERS $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a picture of a plane and a map of Australia on the monitor.) In Australia's remote areas, the Royal Flying Doctor Service has dozens of bases providing airborne care; the Alice Springs base serves nearly half a million square miles of this territory
(Alex: Well, it's up north, and it's called [*].)

MR. ROBOT $1600: With names like Pookie & Snickle-Fritz, these robotic toy hamster pets have snuggled their way into our hearts

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $18,000
Niki: $13,600
Sam: $11,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Niki, who tried to select the last clue before being ruled correct to save time] Oh, we won't get there, but you moved up nicely into second place. Boy, that was a big move in Double Jeopardy! Final Jeopardy! today is this...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN THE NEWS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Sarah: Wager $9,201 to cover Niki.
Niki: You ought to wager to cover Sam, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $13,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,400 (to shut out Sam) or less than $4,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sam). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sarah.
Sam: Think about risking $2,200, thereby beating Sarah on the Triple Stumper (should Sarah wager to cover Niki's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When this man joined Twitter in September 2015, his first follow was the National Security Agency's account

FINAL SCORES
Sam: $11,000 + $11,000 = $22,000 (Who is Edward Snowden)
Niki: $13,600 + $5,000 = $18,600 (Who is Edward Snowden?)
Sarah: $18,000 + $4,001 = $22,001 (Who is Snowden?)
(Alex: These three scores are going to be added to tomorrow's totals to determine the champion. So congratulations. A great beginning. We'll see you all tomorrow for the final.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $13,800, 18 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Niki: $13,600, 13 R, 1 W
Sam: $11,000, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 19/61 = .311
Sam: 16/58 = .276
Niki: 14/58 = .241
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I'LL NEED A TRANSLATOR $200: Japanese for "wearing thing", this garment dates from the 7th century

THE NORTH PACIFIC $200: Over 1,300 miles from Oahu, Kure Atoll is the farthest west part of this archipelago
(Sam: What is Hawaii?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

VIDEO GAME SLANG $800: Some games have LFG, "looking for group"; in "Lord of the Rings Online", it's LFF, "looking for" this
(Niki: Who is Frodo?)

CELEBRITIES $200: According to this rapper, Yeezus is his "God name"
[The audience "Oh"s audibly when Niki rings in ahead of Sam.]
(Alex: You got in ahead of Sam! He will never forgive you for that! Kanye is his idol!)

CELEBRITIES $800: Back in school, he was voted the cutest, the sweetest & most likely to succeed

CLASSICAL MUSIC $2000: The music heard here appears in an Edvard Grieg suite when this title character is chased by trolls

THE "MID" SECTION $1200: The world of mortals in Norse mythology
(Alex: Yes, less than a minute.)

MR. ROBOT $800: The same company that makes the Roomba also made Ariel, a robot that detected & disposed of these buried munitions
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
ad nauseam
the Philippines
onion skin
Ensenada
Tatiana Maslany
to Zerg rush
Chace Crawford
cholera
the "1812 Overture"
Tom Wolfe
The Secret History
the Northern Territory
Zhu Zhu Pets
Edward Snowden
a kimono
the Hawaiian islands
fellowship
Kanye West
Jesse Eisenberg
Peer Gynt
Midgard
landmines
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN THE NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When this man joined Twitter in September 2015, his first follow was the National Security Agency’s account

Sarah Dubnik: 18000+4001=22001
Niki Peters: 13600+5000=18600
Sam Deutsch: 11000+11000=22000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edward Snowden
Coryats
Sarah: 13800
Niki: 13600
Sam: 11000

Combined: 38,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

And then they BMS 'Hawaii' when looking for "this archipelago". I give up.

None of them got 'zerg'. I realize that not everyone plays video games, but it occurs to me that they were probably infants/toddlers when the first Starcraft came out, whereas I bought it the same year (and still have the discs), and once again I feel old.

Instaget FJ. Almost feels pointless to keep saying that this week.

I know it's hard to ask the leader to bet big on the first day of a 2 day final, but uuurrrhhhgghhhh. From a 7k lead over Sam down to a dollar. At least it'll make for an exciting final, although hopefully it won't be just another race to the lead followed by an anticlimactic easy-peasy FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:And then they BMS 'Hawaii' when looking for "this archipelago". I give up.
Yep ...
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

All three players played well. I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: the Philippines, Tom Wolfe, and Northern Territory. I also got FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

xxaaaxx wrote:None of them got 'zerg'. I realize that not everyone plays video games, but it occurs to me that they were probably infants/toddlers when the first Starcraft came out, whereas I bought it the same year (and still have the discs), and once again I feel old.
"zerg rush", that is. Definitely got that one, and definitely played it when it first came out. Was sad not to see the rest of that category.

Very exciting finish, and tomorrow is anyone's game.

I said "Snowden" immediately, but thought about Julian Assange for a bit. But Snowden being an ex NSA contractor made it pretty clear.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

My son is 13, and I haven't played Starcraft since before he was born; he's never played it. He uses the phrase "zerg rush" all the time.
Golf

Post by Golf »

xxaaaxx wrote:I know it's hard to ask the leader to bet big on the first day of a 2 day final, but uuurrrhhhgghhhh. From a 7k lead over Sam down to a dollar.
Being the leader has nothing to do with it. FJ wagering on day 1 is just no fun but you just have to treat it as another DD. Therefore category dependent, you either wager nothing or everything. And starting day 2 with 0 is not a death sentence.

With the ease of FJ clues throughout the tournament, the correct play for all three players is almost certainly wagering everything.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Great game, with all 3 players very much in the mix going into tomorrow -- and it was really fun watching that late charge by Niki in DJ.

Indicative of how well the players did, I only had the following items for LT: the Philippines, Tom Wolfe, and Northern Territory.

Instaget FJ.

I agree that "Hawaii" was a pointless BMS, and it just further indicates the inconsistency of the show lately when it comes to BMS'ing.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote:"zerg rush", that is. Definitely got that one, and definitely played it when it first came out. Was sad not to see the rest of that category.
If the clue didn't require two words, then zerged or zerging are also fine.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote:
OSXpert wrote:"zerg rush", that is. Definitely got that one, and definitely played it when it first came out. Was sad not to see the rest of that category.
If the clue didn't require two words, then zerged or zerging are also fine.
Yeah, I just looked it up and I guess thats all acceptable; my bad. I've only ever seen it as zerg rush, and in fact the most attention I've ever gotten on the internet was because of a song I wrote with a chorus of "Zerg Rush"

Speaking of rushing, that surge at the end by Niki was awesome, and everyone complaining about it on twitter is misguided at best. If I was behind in Double Jeopardy I would say my answers fast and call for the next clue immediately too. It's a serious competition with a huge payday attached to it and getting all the clues in was to her advantage.*

*This also means I'm ok with a leader trying to slow down the tempo of a game.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

1986 (4), Term (1), Celeb (3), North (2), Video (2), Translator (5)
Doctor (3), Film (3), Lit (2), Robot (1), Music (4), "MID" (2)

Lach Trash: Philippines, Northern Territory

Instaget FJ.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Easiest and most obvious FJ in a long time. He popped into my head before I even read the second line of the clue. "Joined in Sept 2015" was enough.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

xxaaaxx wrote:
None of them got 'zerg'. I realize that not everyone plays video games, but it occurs to me that they were probably infants/toddlers when the first Starcraft came out, whereas I bought it the same year (and still have the discs), and once again I feel old.
Yeah, but there has been a sequel released and numerous expansions and several well within the last decade including one just 3 months ago. But yeah, that one took me back to playing LAN over the dial-up with the bros. :lol:

Embarrassed to have picked up Chace Crawford over kids who are 10 years younger than me, but was a huge fan of the initial seasons of Gossip Girl. And that's two Orphan Black clues within the past few months that have been TSed. Does anyone watch this show?

Solid comeback by Niki, but I said I was rooting for Sam to win it all, so no reason to change now.

They could have made this FJ just a little tougher by asking either where he initially fled to, or where he is now. Potentially the name of the Oscar-winning documentary that features his story, although that's perhaps a tad too obscure. Hard for me say to since I've been following Greenwald since his Salon days.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

I continue to be extremely impressed with this year's College players. I had high expectations of Niki and was just thinking that she was toast, and then...pow! Where was that player the rest of the game?
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

xxaaaxx wrote: None of them got 'zerg'. I realize that not everyone plays video games, but it occurs to me that they were probably infants/toddlers when the first Starcraft came out, whereas I bought it the same year (and still have the discs), and once again I feel old.
Likewise. Never played Starcraft, (though I've met its characters in Heroes of the Storm) but the term seems seems so fundamental in gaming culture that even someone with cursory knowledge should get it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OSXpert wrote: Speaking of rushing, that surge at the end by Niki was awesome, and everyone complaining about it on twitter is misguided at best. If I was behind in Double Jeopardy I would say my answers fast and call for the next clue immediately too.
It shouldn't take talking over Alex on numerous responses to clear the board. Answering and selecting the next clue in one run-on sentence makes it sound like she can't be bothered with the host being in charge of the proceedings. It's only common courtesy to allow Alex to tell you whether you're correct or not.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Category 13 wrote:
OSXpert wrote: Speaking of rushing, that surge at the end by Niki was awesome, and everyone complaining about it on twitter is misguided at best. If I was behind in Double Jeopardy I would say my answers fast and call for the next clue immediately too.
It shouldn't take talking over Alex on numerous responses to clear the board. Answering and selecting the next clue in one run-on sentence makes it sound like she can't be bothered with the host being in charge of the proceedings. It's only common courtesy to allow Alex to tell you whether you're correct or not.

I mostly agree with you, but if $100,000 is on the line, there's less than a minute to go and I'm behind, courtesy is not my #1 priority.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

There was a point early in the first round that Alex told Niki: "Go someplace else", when there were still three clues left in that category. Drink