Monday, February 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7236, 2016-02-15

WE ASKED: Stephan James.

9 clues left unrevealed in Double Jeopardy!

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Wright, a school librarian from Plainfield, Indiana
Ramona Riddles, a substitute teacher from Fullerton, California
Chris Becker, a bus driver and trainer from Orlando, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Glibert. And belated happy Valentine's Day to all of you. Hope you enjoyed the last two weeks of play on Jeopardy! We had some very talented, bright young college students, and it produced a worthy champion in Sam Deutsch of USC. Today we're back to our regular fare with Sarah, Ramona, and Chris, so I'll wish you good luck, and put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE YA FROM? (5/5)
COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY (4/5)
COOPER: ALICE, GARY OR ANDERSON (5/5)
GOOD CAUSES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT THE "H"? (5/5)
RACE (5/5) (Alex: A category dedicated to the great Jesse Owens in honor of the film that's upcoming about his life.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Ramona: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Sarah: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chris: $5,400
Sarah: -$200
Ramona: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Wright is a school librarian from Indiana, and also, and she is a woman who enjoys shopping. And I do also, and when I shop, I--I look very closely at items for women, and I've noticed that when it comes for--comes to shoes, there is a much bigger display of shoes in small sizes. What size shoe do you wear?

Sarah: Um, I wear size 4 shoes.

Alex: Hello!

Sarah: And I can usually buy some of my shoes in the children's department. But this has kind of led to a problem.

Alex: Why?

Sarah: Um, once I bought some tennis shoes in the children's department, and I wore them to work, and my co-workers were happy to point out to me that I had accidentally picked up the blinky-light shoes that lit up when I walked.

[Laughter]

Alex: So all of your co-workers knew to--where to find you in the hallway.

Sarah: Yes, exactly!

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Ramona Riddles, substitute teacher from Fullerton, California, whose favorite mode of transportation is something unusual?

Ramona: Yes. I prefer riding the elevator or the lift.

Alex: You can't go very far. I mean, it's all going to happen in one building.

Ramona: Well, the only way to go is up, I believe.

Alex: You don't favor escalators at all? It's got to be an elevator?

Ramona: No, I've tripped on one too many escalators.

Alex: Ah, okay. Be safe in an elevator.

Alex: Chris Becker is a bus driver, a trainer, from Florida, and as you can all see, ladies and gentlemen, he wears a mustache. Whenever he have a contestant with a mustache, we talk about it. He was asked to shave his, and did for a while.

Chris: Well, actually, I--I wasn't asked, I did, for, uh--just on my own. I thought, maybe a change in look. But I was 18 years old.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Chris: Um, my girlfriend looked at me like I was--couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Alex: Yeah.

Chris: All day long she just kept giving me these sidelong looks, and finally when we kissed goodnight, she figured out what--what was different, and she laughed so hard, that I decided that I would grow it back and never shave it again.

Alex: Good for you.

Chris: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Chris had $6,200, Ramona was scoreless, and Sarah had a deficit with -$200. Chris wagered $3,200.

GOOD CAUSES $1000: The National Society for Crippled Children was later renamed this, after its famous stamp that bears a lily

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY $400: A circuit that allows data to travel between a peripheral & a computer is a "local" this vehicle
(Ramona: What is a router?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chris: $10,400
Ramona: $4,200
Sarah: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS PHRASES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In one version of a 19th century quote, “there is room and health…away from the crowds” so you’re urged to do these 2 words

Chris Becker: 10000-601=9399
Ramona Riddles: 5000-5000=0
Sarah Wright: 10600-5000=5600

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Go west (Chris - Rest & relax) (Ramona - Move out) (Sarah - Live wild)
Daily Doubles
Chris: 6200+3200 & 13600-3600
Sarah: 4000+3000

Coryats
Chris: 11400
Ramona: 5000
Sarah: 8800

Combined: 25,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, February 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Savvy wager by the champ wins him the game.

Ramona sounded like the kid who plays Adam Goldberg on The Goldbergs.

They left 9 clues worth $11,200 on the board at the end of DJ. Coincidentally, $11,200 is how much Niki Peters picked up in less than 2 minutes by being rude and talking over Alex. Conclusion: we need more rude contestants.

cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:07 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
They left 9 clues worth $11,200 on the board at the end of DJ. Coincidentally, $11,200 is how much Niki Peters picked up in less than 2 minutes by being rude and talking over Alex. Conclusion: we need more rude contestants.
I remember being shocked when Alex called "Less than a minute" with half the clues still on the board.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 pm

The only thing that came to mind for me for Final was "Go west", but I would have called it a 4 word phrase, being paired with "young man" so I wasn't the least bit confident writing it down, but it was all I had. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I got it right.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Quite the shock to the system with the sleeeeeepy DJ! round after how zippy Niki and Co. were last week. What was with the $5k wager at the end?! At first blush it seems bizarre to me.
Consciously Incompetent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:28 pm

dhkendall wrote:The only thing that came to mind for me for Final was "Go west", but I would have called it a 4 word phrase, being paired with "young man" so I wasn't the least bit confident writing it down, but it was all I had. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I got it right.
Pretty much exactly my experience, too.

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Pretty lenient accpetance on "What is relay? 400 meter relay" versus the correct "4 x 100 meter relay" when there is also a 4 x 400 meter relay.

It was pretty obvious that Jeopardy had contractual obligations to show the entire "Race" category. It's a shame it took a big chunk out of DJ time.

No idea on FJ.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:29 pm

cbec wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I remember being shocked when Alex called "Less than a minute" with half the clues still on the board.
Right? You need to tell Alex to shut up and talk faster. :)

(or cut out some damn commercials. There were 4 1/2 minutes of them between DJ and FJ.)

Grats on the win!

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 pm

one of the jewish members of the 1936 olympic team replaced by jesse owens was marty glickman. he went on to decades of fame broadcasting games of the knicks, giants, rangers, dodgers, jets, nets, and even the horses at yonkers raceway!

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:31 pm

LTaM with what, 13 clues left? WTF!? I had a smile on my face after they cleared the board in the J! round, but clearly it was just so they'd get to all of those Jesse Owens clues.

Spent a good chunk of FJ tossing around things like peace & quiet, rest &...whatever, before rereading the clue, thinking of the word 'go', and it finally clicked.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:31 pm

FJ must have been left over from last week's tourney.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Congrats to Chris on another win. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: bus, The Cricket on the Hearth, hipsters, and Ganges. I also got the missed DD of guttural. I guessed "go away" for FJ.

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Strange game. I was shocked when Alex called LTAM, but then again we had some genteel, take your time contestants calling out the categories.

I had no clue on FJ. Felt extremely vague, and I don't like that they said "one version" of this famous phrase.

Savvy wager from the champ. Congrats.

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Never would have picked up that FJ, and even after the reveal, my only familiarity with that two word expression was the Pet Shop Boys version of what apparently was originally a Village People song.

Jay_OBrien
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Jay_OBrien » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:02 pm

jpr281 wrote:Pretty lenient accpetance on "What is relay? 400 meter relay" versus the correct "4 x 100 meter relay" when there is also a 4 x 400 meter relay.

It was pretty obvious that Jeopardy had contractual obligations to show the entire "Race" category. It's a shame it took a big chunk out of DJ time.

No idea on FJ.
I ran track in HS and college. It is acceptable to refer to a relay by its total distance. We also simply just say "4 by 1" and "4 by 4" etc.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:02 pm

jpr281 wrote:Pretty lenient accpetance on "What is relay? 400 meter relay" versus the correct "4 x 100 meter relay" when there is also a 4 x 400 meter relay.
On the high school track team, we'd never use the full name, just the total length of the race. So the 4 x 100 meter relay was the 400 meter relay and the 4 x 400 meter relay was the 1600 meter relay.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Four word phrase I would have had instantly. Two words took about 25 seconds. Just enough time to write it down.

Hint for future contestants: the more obscure or specialized the category, the easier the questions. Don't be afraid of Jesse Owens or The Byzantine Empire.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 pm

MarkyMarkm wrote:Never would have picked up that FJ, and even after the reveal, my only familiarity with that two word expression was the Pet Shop Boys version of what apparently was originally a Village People song.
Not this band?

phpBB [video]
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.