LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by pburns1587 »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:So here it is... merry MD1, everybody's having fun.

Except I'm up against the person who literally wrote the book about appearing on Jeopardy. And he has a QPct of .707 as opposed to my .539. I predict the first of many defeats... Moriturus vos salutat!
This is the best part of rookie rundle - I have no clue who anyone is and can thus, by default, assume I'm the smartest person in the rundle. Right? That's how assumptions work?
Consciously Incompetent

Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

SBurrus wrote:
Ultraman wrote:I'm also in Pacific R1--hmmm, I see a theme here. BerryJD.
Ha...according to the schedule, you and I do battle tomorrow!
Good luck, man. But not too much. ;)

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

SBurrus wrote:Goodness! Is he retired? There are thousands of players and I'm sure not ALL of them get all six questions correct every day! Even if he had ample free time, it's got to get old after a while going through all the incorrect entries to check for spelling. But hey...that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info.
Thorsten did indeed quit his job a few years ago to run LL full time. With the growth of the league, I think he's doing 'aight. I think the grading can be done pretty quickly with computers to check for similar acceptable answers. It would really only slow down a lot if he has to research some other answers to see if they could also be acceptable.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

silverscreentest wrote:
pburns1587 wrote:
SBurrus wrote:Goodness! Is he retired? There are thousands of players and I'm sure not ALL of them get all six questions correct every day! Even if he had ample free time, it's got to get old after a while going through all the incorrect entries to check for spelling. But hey...that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about this. It would be simple enough to pull a DISTINCT list of answers and mark those correct or incorrect. that way you're not looking at every single answer, just the list of unique answers. On top of that I'm sure he has an algorithm of some sort to immediately toss things that are not even close.
That's how Alpaca works. You only see every unique answer and figure out which misspellings to accept.
I would think all unique answers are looked at based on the existence of Best Wrong Answer.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cmp146 wrote:Alpine: 2
A Alpine gobobbygo
B Alpine mam418

Badlands: 5
A Badlands silverscreentest
B Badlands Cat Hammarskjold
D1 Badlands verna
E1 Badlands BRD-98
R Badlands Pburns1587

Cascade: 3
A Cascade jkbrat, miwasatoshi, OccamsElectricRazor

Central: 11
A Central (not verified, multiple players who I do not have LL names) AustinPowers, JyV'92, mrbungle, OldSchoolChamp, skullturf, VoluptuousLoser
B Central plasticene, seborgium
C Central khiddy
D2 Central Turd Ferguson
E1 Central WooWho?
E2 Central naurae29

Coastal: 2
A Coastal goforthetie jpahk

Continental: 27
A Continental Bomtr, Elendilpickle, IhaveJeoprosy (Choyon), IPreferPi, KillerTomato, Lampy, RandyG, slam, ThisisKirk, Woof
B Continental reddpen
C1 Continental hbomb1947, Jeff6286, Pastor Dave,
C2 Continental Generalist,Ryno
D2 Continental Bamaman, clprez, CrunchyTaco, dhKendall, StevenH
E2 Continental squizzle
R1 Continental BulgarianBeast, BennyBXB (added), cbec, ouachiouat
R2 Continental Armandillo (added)

Corridor: 2
A Corridor Dr. J
C1 Corridor TriviaWayne

Frontier: 4
A Frontier Coelocanth, Qball,SwanShadow
B Frontier MinnesotaMyron

Highland: 4
A Highland Paul5562, Rex Kramer, Schliemann
C2 Highland cf22

Horizon: 17
A Horizon bengland, BoK, goatman, Lhamilton
B Horizon BigDaddyMatty, JJWaymee, okstater04
Chorizo N Caknuck, Sarrison
D2 Horizon Molly427, quarterrican, TheyCallMeMrKid, tjconn728
E2 Horizon UniquePerspective
R Horizon MarkyMarkm, Holocene Hero, Mrexley

Magnolia: 17
A Magnolia Alietr, Boson, Jfrumkin, OntarioQuizzer, Vermonter
B Magnolia cmp146, DadofTwins, MikeDupee, Patkav, ThreeifbyAir
C Magnolia dharrisf, droidysseus
D1 Magnolia grnwaz, missykat16, TerrHeel
E1 Magnolia Nightreign
R2 Magnolia Peachbox

Memorial: 2
A Memorial CheezeWhiz
C1 Memorial kristinsausville

Meridian 1
D1 Meridian BenAlmoite

Metro 3
A Metro TomKBaltimoreBoy
B Metro kickerofelves
D1 Metro makeabeilein

Midland 1
B Midland Schoe

Pacific 17
A Pacific adamnvillani PamIam sherder teapot37
B Pacific mennoknight RichmondJ Winchell Factor
C1 Pacific dnbguy Econgator gnash LinearGnome Volante (fixed!)
C2 Pacific gloriaclemente
D1 Pacific Barandal800 RaffertyBarnes
R1 Pacific OSXpert (added), Sburrus

Sequoia 2
C1 Sequoia sarah0114
D2 Sequoia rjmac

Skyline 2
C1 Skyline mitchparov, TheSunWillComeOut

Sugarloaf 1
D2 Sugarloaf Ivoirians

* I have both their Jboard and LL names for most people in my spreadsheet. I did my best to update to LL68, but some individuals I could not update.
Additional boardies who I don't have LL names or rundles: Benkins, canetts, chrisfish5, Clue Jungry, dinghammer, gamawire, goldenboy, Lefty, OSXpert, shogins, Ultraman, waterloo_guy, ZachTheRiah. A few have not registered for LL68, and are not on this list. Feel free to PM or comment with corrections.
Just to note it doesn't look like StevenH renewed for this season so he's not in my rundle (or any rundle), at least not for LL68.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

dhkendall wrote:
Just to note it doesn't look like StevenH renewed for this season so he's not in my rundle (or any rundle), at least not for LL68.
I made a note in the original post, and added the people up until here in the thread, like Ultraman, jev15, and mpahu. Happy LL68 everyone!

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Except I'm up against the person who literally wrote the book about appearing on Jeopardy. And he has a QPct of .707 as opposed to my .539. I predict the first of many defeats... Moriturus vos salutat!
Five right, every day?
Sprinkles are for winners.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Welp, this was what I deserve for not looking at the schedule ahead of time: I got Lampy on MD1 :roll: The upside is I get to be in a video, I guess. :lol:

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

I am starting Horizon B in my usual position, 26th of 26. I hope that many of the more alphabetically-advantaged Llamas get to watch me blow by them after a few days! :)

dott888
Valued Contributor

Post by dott888 »

I am in Rundle R Pacific Div 1. Looks like a popular spot for newbies from the jboard.

mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

I'm a rookie this season, too, Highland Div 2. Did my first submission earlier today. Excited to join in the games!

TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

It's good to have Learned League's regular season back in my life again! I've been counting down the days until MD1. Good luck this season, everyone!

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Armandillo wrote:Yes, so don't talk about them at all.

But I believe it's okay to admit you did horribly, which I did. First time jitters. Eeek.
Even that is not a good idea. If your opponent reads this (and believes you), then he or she may assume that it is not necessary to agonize over assigning defensive points, which could influence their behavior and result in assigning you different defensive point values from what he or she otherwise would have assigned. Which might result in a higher or lower score for you, which might result in a lower or higher winning margin for one of you, which could affect rundle standings.

Best not to say ANYTHING about the questions, your responses, your reactions to the questions and your responses, etc., until Thorsten has posted the answers and results of each day's matches.

Rex

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Rex Kramer wrote:

But I believe it's okay to admit you did horribly, which I did. First time jitters. Eeek.
Even that is not a good idea. If your opponent reads this (and believes you), then he or she may assume that it is not necessary to agonize over assigning defensive points, which could influence their behavior and result in assigning you different defensive point values from what he or she otherwise would have assigned. Which might result in a higher or lower score for you, which might result in a lower or higher winning margin for one of you, which could affect rundle standings.

Best not to say ANYTHING about the questions, your responses, your reactions to the questions and your responses, etc., until Thorsten has posted the answers and results of each day's matches.

Rex
Which might result in my understanding what you just said. But you're a pretty smart and logical guy, so I'll agree with this 100%. ;)
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
If you really need to talk to somebody about it, I would recommend connecting with your fellow Llamas. It's OK to talk about the match in PRIVATE channels (e.g. PM, e-mail). Be careful to make sure whoever you communicate has already submitted.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The reason that you have to pay after the rookie season is that it's most of Thorsten's annual salary, although he practices just enough law to keep his license each year. That being said, if the interface is anything like Alpaca Farm, each distinct answer is listed, but it would be something like "20 people said that the Hebrew word for one is ehat", and then he'd have to consider if that is close enough to ehad to be accepted.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rex Kramer wrote:

So you should only say something when you get all six or none, and defense can't affect your score, right?

alamble

Post by alamble »

pburns1587 wrote:

This is the best part of rookie rundle - I have no clue who anyone is and can thus, by default, assume I'm the smartest person in the rundle. Right? That's how assumptions work?
That's what I'm going with, as I recognize exactly zero names in R Frontier Div 2.

BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

cmp146 wrote: R1 Continental BulgarianBeast, BennyBXB (added), cbec, ouachiouat
My goal this season is to avoid Rundle E. Gotta dodge the bottom 8. It will be difficult, and I'm more likely to fail than succeed. But if I do my best, I can have no regrets.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)

mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

alamble wrote:
pburns1587 wrote:

That's what I'm going with, as I recognize exactly zero names in R Frontier Div 2.
I have a personal friend in R Metro Division 2, but that lack of recognition almost makes me more worried about ending up in E for LL69. I like your outlook better.