LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by dhkendall »

Lampy wrote:The Secret of the Old Clock is actually a Nancy Drew, Rex #pedantry
I would say admitting to know the difference means Rec wins.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Journey To The Bottom Of The Table: The Benny Berrafato Story. Put up my first ever zero yesterday, and somehow stayed at position 19 of 20. I have 22 matchdays to climb 7 spots, which is unsettling given my -13 MPD at this point.

How are you people so smart? Do you read books? I should read more books.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

dhkendall wrote:
I would say admitting to know the difference means Rec wins.
I got where I am today primarily by being ashamed of knowledge, so I agree.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:I'm trying to remember if women appear at all in LoA other when they're singing (if that's what it is) on the cliffs when they head off to Aqaba.
Define 'appear'...are we counting crowd scene extras?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Of course. I was thinking of "The Secret of the Old Mill", but I was distracted by Pamela Sue Martin.

Rex
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

BennyBXB wrote:Journey To The Bottom Of The Table: The Benny Berrafato Story. Put up my first ever zero yesterday, and somehow stayed at position 19 of 20. I have 22 matchdays to climb 7 spots, which is unsettling given my -13 MPD at this point.

A wise person once told me that as far as LL is concerned, knowledge only gets you so far and the rest is life experience. People like you and I who are pretty young are at a disadvantage just because we lack that life experience. For example, that spaghetti interchange question was easier if you've had the chance to drive on a spaghetti interchange, which I'm assuming you haven't. Also, if you consider the amount of time you as an 18(?) year-old would have spent studying trivia vs. the amount of time someone 20 years older than you would have spent over a lifetime, well, it's not even close. And it shouldn't be.
After being slaughtered in my rookie rundle and spending a season in E, I figured out that I really shouldn't try to compare myself to A rundlers who are 15 years older than me. Instead, I just try to do better than I did last season. A higher TCA. Fewer 0(0)s. I tried to study up on my weaknesses to improve as a player. And right now, that's really all you can do. Also, I've found that looking stuff I missed up on Wikipedia is informative and interesting, and although it (obviously) doesn't help me as far as LL is concerned, it makes me actually feel like I'm learning stuff. It's also helped me out playing Jeopardy! from the couch so many times I lost count.
So keep at it, keeping in mind that probably none of your friends would even be able to answer half as many questions as you can. And be proud of personal improvement, because after all, that's what really matters.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

You do have an advantage on plenty of academic questions, though, in particular math and science ones that aren't widely experienced in the world at large.

I should clarify: you have an advantage over people who do not work in fields that use those concepts regularly.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

nightreign wrote:
BennyBXB wrote:Journey To The Bottom Of The Table: The Benny Berrafato Story. Put up my first ever zero yesterday, and somehow stayed at position 19 of 20. I have 22 matchdays to climb 7 spots, which is unsettling given my -13 MPD at this point.

A wise person once told me that as far as LL is concerned, knowledge only gets you so far and the rest is life experience. People like you and I who are pretty young are at a disadvantage just because we lack that life experience. For example, that spaghetti interchange question was easier if you've had the chance to drive on a spaghetti interchange, which I'm assuming you haven't. Also, if you consider the amount of time you as an 18(?) year-old would have spent studying trivia vs. the amount of time someone 20 years older than you would have spent over a lifetime, well, it's not even close. And it shouldn't be.
After being slaughtered in my rookie rundle and spending a season in E, I figured out that I really shouldn't try to compare myself to A rundlers who are 15 years older than me. Instead, I just try to do better than I did last season. A higher TCA. Fewer 0(0)s. I tried to study up on my weaknesses to improve as a player. And right now, that's really all you can do. Also, I've found that looking stuff I missed up on Wikipedia is informative and interesting, and although it (obviously) doesn't help me as far as LL is concerned, it makes me actually feel like I'm learning stuff. It's also helped me out playing Jeopardy! from the couch so many times I lost count.
So keep at it, keeping in mind that probably none of your friends would even be able to answer half as many questions as you can. And be proud of personal improvement, because after all, that's what really matters.
What Aria said.

Also, if it helps you feel any better, I started off last season in D Rundle in last place out of 26, an 0-6-0 record and -21 MPD. I ended it...well, not much better, haha, but enough to stay out of relegation. So...it's possible! :)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

alietr wrote:I'm trying to remember if women appear at all in LoA other when they're singing (if that's what it is) on the cliffs when they head off to Aqaba.
There's the funeral scene at the beginning of the movie and the hospital tent at the end, but anything that women say in either scene is unintelligible.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Finally, I move into the winner's circle with a 2(3)-1(2) win on MD4.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

My thought process on question 4: "Heh, it would be funny if this referred to the sanitation department. But no, it probably refers to the Port Authority." Still managed a 7(4)-2(3) win, though.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I was screwed by my youth today, as I both did not know the Yogi Bear question and thought it was harder than it was, losing 2(1)-1(1). Thank god I have an undying obsession with/addiction to ice cream.

The wildlife refuge question made me mad because I could give the first names of both Bundys and the town they were near, but even after seeing the answer, I didn't think I had ever heard of Malheur. I guessed Cascade just to have something. With my usually-pretty-good math percentage taking a hit as well (even my math professor mom didn't know vengecimal), it was all around a terrible day for me.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I got a BWA and I honestly don't know how to feel about that.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mennoknight wrote:I got a BWA and I honestly don't know how to feel about that.
Feel good, or weren't you trying for it?

I'm bummed I didn't get BWA for Q5 with my answer of dysentery trail
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

nightreign wrote: The wildlife refuge question made me mad because I could give the first names of both Bundys and the town they were near, but even after seeing the answer, I didn't think I had ever heard of Malheur. I guessed Cascade just to have something. With my usually-pretty-good math percentage taking a hit as well (even my math professor mom didn't know vengecimal), it was all around a terrible day for me.
Whoa, I didn't make the connection to the occupation of the wildlife refuge until just now. I still would have missed it.

The base 20 question is just stupid. Pretty sure everyone who does math would just say base 20. Its like categorizing a question on a "murder" of crows as science. Correctly joining greek and latin prefixes is neither science nor math. Oh well, my good math percentage meant it cost me zero, and got me a tie when I knew less than my opponent.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Feel pretty good with a 3(3) win.

I guessed Rubens for the artist, solely based off the word Rubenesque, and now I know that I was a couple hundred years off. Definitely need to up my art game

I WAGed Columbia Wildlife Refuge since I know thats a river that goes through parts of Oregon, and I was pretty pleased to find out that it's a real thing, even though its not a correct answer.

I teach mathematics and computer science, and I had no idea on the base 20 name. I said ventecimal.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

boson wrote:The base 20 question is just stupid. Pretty sure everyone who does math would just say base 20. Its like categorizing a question on a "murder" of crows as science. Correctly joining greek and latin prefixes is neither science nor math. Oh well, my good math percentage meant it cost me zero, and got me a tie when I knew less than my opponent.
I agree. The average quality of Thorstein's questions is superb, but this was not a great question.

I'm a professional mathematician, and the specific word "vigesimal" is obscure. Perhaps a few people working in the history of math would use it, but maybe not even them.

And it's not sour grapes on my part, because I actually got it right. I surprised myself in doing so. I knew for sure that the first three letters were "vig", but I was unsure whether it was something like "vigintesimal".

Math and language are by far my best categories, so I was assigned 0 points for it as I correctly predicted, but obscure questions about terminology that practically nobody uses are not "about" math in a particularly meaningful way.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bomtr'd yet again :( I thought that the MD4 clues were the hardest of the season, but of course he drinks the beer. And gives me a 3 for Q4 despite my Columbia affiliation. Bravo! So now I sit at 1-2-1 despite a TCA of 20. Life in A Rundle....
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

I won by getting the vigesimal question right, and my opponent assigned me 3 points for it(I don't blame him for that, it was a hard question). The only reason I got that question right was because I was interested in the Mayan calendar back in 2012 when everyone was saying the world would end, so I looked into it and was surprised to know that they used a base 20 system. Being a math guy, that was really interesting to me, and I saw it called vigesimal("How funny! It sounds like BiDeCimal, but has a couple of letters changed!"), so I had a good story that made remembering easy when that question came up :lol: Still took me a solid 10-15 minutes to recall it, and then another 30 minutes to convince myself it was the right way to spell it...

Playing Benny today, should be a good match!