LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by SBurrus »

I also said Hellman's and Miracle Whip.

Lost on MD15 8(4)-4(2); I put 0 on The Prodigal Son and as it turned out, my opponent missed that one. Destroyed my DE ranking with my assignment of points in Friday's match.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

This is my sixth season, and the first time I've lost all five matches in a week. I was so glad that I had gone grocery shopping in Colorado Springs before, and was disappointed that my opponent had done so somewhere in that region as well.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I beat the leader of my rundle today with the highest score in my rundle to boot! Unfortunately, this gained me nothing, as I am still in 8th.

Did anyone else say al fresco for the art question?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:I beat the leader of my rundle today with the highest score in my rundle to boot! Unfortunately, this gained me nothing, as I am still in 8th.

I considered it but it sounded way too Italian for me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

We're 15 MDs in. I am still winless. I'm the only winless player in the Rundle. And my opponent for Monday is the second-worst player. Please, for all that is good and holy, give me some questions I know.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

ABC bombards my NYC station with Beautiful Ads during jeopardy, so that was an instal-get.

I said Dehors for the french term, since I know some french but nothing about art.

I tried my hand at humor for the first time on the condiment question and said "Soylent Green, People" but was not rewarded. I haven't heard of Best Food

Lost 8(5) - 2(2) to the 2nd best scorer in the rundle.

Go Team Pacific in the Mid-Season Classic!
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

For the French art term one I guessed "peinture d'air" and was pleased by not being terribly far off.

Good luck to all in the LL68 Midseason Classic! I know we're rare on this board, but let's go Metro!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

nightreign wrote:I beat the leader of my rundle today with the highest score in my rundle to boot! Unfortunately, this gained me nothing, as I am still in 8th.

That was the MCWA, so you were far from alone. Me, I couldn't come up with anything better than tableau.

And of course my opponent, who was below .400 in theatre, got the 3 points I assigned him on the Carole King question, turning what could have been a win for me into a tie.

Those "multiple regions" questions are tough if, say, you've spent about 90% of your life living in the eastern seaboard. I had NHO "Best Foods."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Female songwriter-composer from the Brill building? Could there be any other choice? Just curious.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Woof wrote:Female songwriter-composer from the Brill building? Could there be any other choice? Just curious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Weil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellie_Greenwich (who had her own broadway show)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I lead my division in ties, after getting consecutive ties for the first time ever. 51 TCA are the most I've ever had at this point in a season; I had 42 after 15 matches last season, followed by my first and only 0(0).
Let's go Horizon!
Hoping for a third lap
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

hbomb1947 wrote:Those "multiple regions" questions are tough if, say, you've spent about 90% of your life living in the eastern seaboard. I had NHO "Best Foods."
Sneakily, the Hellman's jingle references both names: "Bring out the Hellman's, and bring out the best!"
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Today, I noticed that the squeezable mayonnaise bottle I've been using literally every weekday for the entire academic year says "Bring out the best" right below the name "Hellmann's". I don't remember consciously noticing it before.

It doesn't really matter, though, because I'm not sure I've heard of Best Foods before. (I actually flipped a coin between ketchup and mustard for this question, and more or less randomly wrote down two brand names that I was pretty sure didn't actually belong to the same company. I just hate leaving things blank.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hellman's and Best Foods was an instaget for me but I can definitely see how it'd score so low. It's not just enough to travel across the Mississippi Rockies (which is sufficient for Carl's Jr/Hardees*), you have to either watch TV long enough on each side for the jingle or pay attention to the mayonnaise aisle in a supermarket.

I got it because my parents would take me along cross country travel trailer trips and we were a Best Foods family so when we restocked at supermarkets I recognized the same logo but different words within the logo.

*not applicable as much anymore since the TV spots list -both- companies, at least the last one I saw did.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My opponent yesterday appeared to be Canadian, so I was fairly confident assigning two defensive points to the mayonnaise question.

I got three six packs last week and that's just nuts for me. Somehow this season all my guesses seem to be correct. I feel like I'm due for a big crash.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Volante wrote:Hellman's and Best Foods was an instaget for me but I can definitely see how it'd score so low. It's not just enough to travel across the Mississippi Rockies (which is sufficient for Carl's Jr/Hardees*), you have to either watch TV long enough on each side for the jingle or pay attention to the mayonnaise aisle in a supermarket.

I got it because my parents would take me along cross country travel trailer trips and we were a Best Foods family so when we restocked at supermarkets I recognized the same logo but different words within the logo.

*not applicable as much anymore since the TV spots list -both- companies, at least the last one I saw did.
I had no idea Hellman's was otherwise-named out west. The only brand I knew of that split between coasts was Edy's/Dreyer's, and it was a stretch to describe ice cream as a condiment.

Other than Hardee's/Carl's, Hellman's/Best, and Edy's/Dreyer's, are there any others? (Oh, Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation and Panera/St Louis Bread Company, I guess.)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The question about the city in Romania that I had never heard of made me think of how ignorant I am about cities that don't come up in regular trivia questions.

So, a challenge: how far down the list of largest cities by population can you get before there is a city you've never heard of? Here's the list on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_largest_cities

I can get to
Spoiler
Dongguan population 8.2 million!
which I may vaguely have heard of. I definitely never have heard of
Spoiler
Ningbo, population 7.6 million
and the first one outside of China I've never heard of is
Spoiler
Faisalabad in Pakistan, population 6.5 million.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:Other than Hardee's/Carl's, Hellman's/Best, and Edy's/Dreyer's, are there any others? (Oh, Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation and Panera/St Louis Bread Company, I guess.)
It's more Midwestern than national, but there's the Carson Pirie Scott/Boston Store/Younkers/Bergner's/Herberger's department store group.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

skullturf wrote:Today, I noticed that the squeezable mayonnaise bottle I've been using literally every weekday for the entire academic year says "Bring out the best" right below the name "Hellmann's". I don't remember consciously noticing it before.

It doesn't really matter, though, because I'm not sure I've heard of Best Foods before. (I actually flipped a coin between ketchup and mustard for this question, and more or less randomly wrote down two brand names that I was pretty sure didn't actually belong to the same company. I just hate leaving things blank.)

I hate to break this to you, but it also says, "Known as Best Foods(R) west of the Rockies," right below the storage instructions. If I were smarter, I'd be able to upload a picture of this.

I remember noticing that when I was a kid.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote:I think it's a good idea for the trivia-minded to have details of various languages' orthography at their disposal.
Case in point: although the Romania question was gettable from the geography, I got it because of the second t in Constanța. The T with a comma under it is almost a unique feature of Romanian (the only other languages that use it are Livonian and Gagauz). It also has an s-comma, as in the name of Nicolae Ceaușescu.