LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by BRD-98 »

Last edited by BRD-98 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Well, I submitted my first slate of answers. Do all contestants at LL get the same set of questions?
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Yes, so don't talk about them at all.

But I believe it's okay to admit you did horribly, which I did. First time jitters. Eeek.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I'm in R Pacific Division 1 for my rookie campaign. Got so excited to see the email that I submitted for today already and now I have to wait a full day for more questions.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Armandillo wrote:Yes, so don't talk about them at all.

But I believe it's okay to admit you did horribly, which I did. First time jitters. Eeek.
My poor performance wasn't due to jitters -- I just didn't know some of that stuff.

How does a spelling or grammatical error work on that site? I assume a computer is trying to grade the results.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

SBurrus wrote:
Armandillo wrote:Yes, so don't talk about them at all.

My poor performance wasn't due to jitters -- I just didn't know some of that stuff.

How does a spelling or grammatical error work on that site? I assume a computer is trying to grade the results.
Thorsten gives a surprising amount of leeway on these things. I'm thinking that for the 1DS I'm smithing in April, that I should give Thorsten a list of things that I would accept as legitimate ways to transliterate Hebrew words, since most Chinese speakers were ticked that he gave too much leeway for the question in LL66 that amounted to "What is the Chinese word for seven?"
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Sorry about that, 'discussion' removed.

Hyped to go hard in this Horizon league though.
Last edited by Holocene Hero on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

MD1 is finally here! I'm down in R Metro Div 2.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Probably also worth reminding the Crias (look it up!) that there's absolutely no discussion of live questions during the match day. Even the most innocuous of comment could lead a player to a correct (or incorrect) answer, or influence their defense. Nothing can't wait until the results are posted.

Thanks. And now back to compulsively clicking F5.
Don't even say things like they were hard or how many you got right.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Holocene Hero wrote: (discussion deleted)
What part of ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION is so hard to understand? :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: How does a spelling or grammatical error work on that site? I assume a computer is trying to grade the results.
I don't know if Thorsten has ever said how his grading algorithm works, but I imagine it accepts a number of variations of the correct answer, such as full name, last name only, first initial and last name, etc. I am pretty certain he personally goes through every answer marked wrong to check for a misspelling or anything else that is clearly correct that is not caught by the computer. In the past, he has been pretty lenient when it comes to grading. If you have an issue with a ruling, you can e-mail him to appeal. I got marked wrong once last season for a misspelling and filed an appeal that he quickly approved with an apology. It turned a loss into a tie for me that day.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Goodness! Is he retired? There are thousands of players and I'm sure not ALL of them get all six questions correct every day! Even if he had ample free time, it's got to get old after a while going through all the incorrect entries to check for spelling. But hey...that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info.
pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

SBurrus wrote:Goodness! Is he retired? There are thousands of players and I'm sure not ALL of them get all six questions correct every day! Even if he had ample free time, it's got to get old after a while going through all the incorrect entries to check for spelling. But hey...that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about this. It would be simple enough to pull a DISTINCT list of answers and mark those correct or incorrect. that way you're not looking at every single answer, just the list of unique answers. On top of that I'm sure he has an algorithm of some sort to immediately toss things that are not even close.
Consciously Incompetent
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Bamaman wrote:
SBurrus wrote: How does a spelling or grammatical error work on that site? I assume a computer is trying to grade the results.
I don't know if Thorsten has ever said how his grading algorithm works, but I imagine it accepts a number of variations of the correct answer, such as full name, last name only, first initial and last name, etc. I am pretty certain he personally goes through every answer marked wrong to check for a misspelling or anything else that is clearly correct that is not caught by the computer. In the past, he has been pretty lenient when it comes to grading. If you have an issue with a ruling, you can e-mail him to appeal. I got marked wrong once last season for a misspelling and filed an appeal that he quickly approved with an apology. It turned a loss into a tie for me that day.
I can also say that in the past, I've occasionally written to Thorsten during the match day when I was worried about a typo I made, or when I felt that an answer I gave should be an acceptable alternate response to a question. While he doesn't always directly respond to the emails, I know that he considers them and I don't remember a time when I was disappointed by the ultimate result.

Happy Opening Day to all my fellow LLamas!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

So here it is... merry MD1, everybody's having fun.

Except I'm up against the person who literally wrote the book about appearing on Jeopardy. And he has a QPct of .707 as opposed to my .539. I predict the first of many defeats... Moriturus vos salutat!
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

I'm also in Pacific R1--hmmm, I see a theme here. BerryJD.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This was fun - glad I got an invite. I assume discussion is allowed once the days battle is officially over?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OSXpert wrote:This was fun - glad I got an invite. I assume discussion is allowed once the days battle is officially over?
Yes. We generally have a full rehashing of the questions after the results have been posted on the LL website.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Ultraman wrote:I'm also in Pacific R1--hmmm, I see a theme here. BerryJD.
Ha...according to the schedule, you and I do battle tomorrow!
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

pburns1587 wrote:
SBurrus wrote:Goodness! Is he retired? There are thousands of players and I'm sure not ALL of them get all six questions correct every day! Even if he had ample free time, it's got to get old after a while going through all the incorrect entries to check for spelling. But hey...that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about this. It would be simple enough to pull a DISTINCT list of answers and mark those correct or incorrect. that way you're not looking at every single answer, just the list of unique answers. On top of that I'm sure he has an algorithm of some sort to immediately toss things that are not even close.
That's how Alpaca works. You only see every unique answer and figure out which misspellings to accept.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.