Monday, October 31, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 31, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
alamble wrote:
Paucle wrote: I don't recall the clue. What body part was mentioned? Legs = Grable, hair = hayworth.
And no kidding re: "4x." :roll:
Neither, actually, if memory serves, but "WWII Pinup Girl" is Pavlovian for Betty Grable. She was the most popular pinup poster of the era.
"Now see here, Scarlett, I got you kisses for breakfast, kisses for lunch and kisses for dinner. Now I find you've been eating out."
"GRABLE! Not Gable!!"
I want to play.

Animal! How many times have I told you, you got to pour from the left!
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

dhkendall wrote:Indeed, I got a HUGE chuckle when Alex said something along the lines of "and he was wrong both times" knowing full well approximately when this was taped
A risky move. How would it have looked if he had been wrong and the world HAD ended on October 21, before this taping aired? ;)
dhkendall wrote: what I like to call "the Jeopardy daily facade" (where they do things like have the contestants change after each game to give the illusion of a new day - Alex's Halloween comment at the start of the game was part of that as well, of course)
And again today when he mentioned that the champion would have "two weeks" on account of the ToC. In fact, I'm guessing they proceeded to tape the next game only a short while later that day.

Alex, if you really want to complete the facade, I dare you to congratulate, by name, the winner of the 2012 presidential election when you tape the Nov. 7, 2012, program several weeks prior to the election! :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Alex, if you really want to complete the facade, I dare you to congratulate, by name, the winner of the 2012 presidential election when you tape the Nov. 7, 2012, program several weeks prior to the election! :mrgreen:
How hard would that be? Heck, I'll be happy to prepare a short post to this board next October 21, congratulating the winner by name. I'll release that post on November 7, 2012.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Alex, if you really want to complete the facade, I dare you to congratulate, by name, the winner of the 2012 presidential election when you tape the Nov. 7, 2012, program several weeks prior to the election! :mrgreen:
My favourite cruxiverbal tale was when the New York Times crossword puzzle did exactly that, the morning of November 5, 1996.

Alex could, however, cheat, and record two openings. :mrgreen: (That is, if Jeopardy! ever wanted to be that overtly political - they were in enough hot water from fans merely by having the sitting president (regardless of party) open the teachers' tournament with a tale about his favourite teacher.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

BigDaddyJ wrote:And again today when he mentioned that the champion would have "two weeks" on account of the ToC. In fact, I'm guessing they proceeded to tape the next game only a short while later that day.
You are correct. They did do a full day of taping on September 21.

The midweek ToC start threw Alex after Sunny's second win on Friday, when he announced that Sunny would have two weeks until her next game. His correction was a little more complicated than his usual clue reading corrections because the audience was applauding at the time.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

opusthepenguin wrote:How hard would that be? Heck, I'll be happy to prepare a short post to this board next October 21, congratulating the winner by name. I'll release that post on November 7, 2012.
At this point, I'd say the election is too far off to say how hard that will be. It could end up being easy, or it could end up being a close race. A lot can happen between now and then. And wouldn't the November 7 game be taped a bit earlier than October 21?
dhkendall wrote:(That is, if Jeopardy! ever wanted to be that overtly political - they were in enough hot water from fans merely by having the sitting president (regardless of party) open the teachers' tournament with a tale about his favourite teacher.)
I appreciate the fact that Jeopardy mostly avoids being political, and I hope Alex doesn't take my dare. Instead, Alex, if you're still reading this, perhaps you could congratulate, by name, the Super Bowl champions on the Feb. 6, 2012, program. That would actually be more impressive than predicting the election results because Alex won't even know which teams will be in the Super Bowl when they record that show, whereas the election will most likely be down to two major candidates by the corresponding taping.
Ryan wrote:The midweek ToC start threw Alex after Sunny's second win on Friday, when he announced that Sunny would have two weeks until her next game. His correction was a little more complicated than his usual clue reading corrections because the audience was applauding at the time.
Did they have to retape part of the FJ reveal? Or did they splice in the correction at the point just afterwards where the camera switches from Sunny to Alex? If so, it's pretty seamless.
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Did they have to retape part of the FJ reveal? Or did they splice in the correction at the point just afterwards where the camera switches from Sunny to Alex? If so, it's pretty seamless.
Well, I guess it wasn't that complicated, though it took them a few more minutes to figure out what to do than it did when Alex flubbed the clues. I think they just spliced in the corrected video after switching from Sunny. The main differences from the clue corrections were having the camera on Alex and having the audience applaud while he talked.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Just out of curiosity, how often does Alex flub a clue so badly that it requires retaping? Does this happen during most games, or is it more rare?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Just out of curiosity, how often does Alex flub a clue so badly that it requires retaping? Does this happen during most games, or is it more rare?
It's pretty common. Probably at least once or twice a game from my observations. They just do it during the "commercial breaks".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will also add that if you go back to the beginning of this thread, the Archivists, bless their productive and knowledgeable little hearts, are working on getting the game recaps put into each day's thread. This will be the return of a feature I really enjoyed on the Sony board. A round of applause for the Archivists!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

chuck5982 wrote:
StevenH wrote:This was the easiest board that I have seen in regular play in quite awhile. "Trickle" for $2000, really?
Don't forget about Harold Camping for $2000.......
I had never heard of him. I ignore the news as much as I possibly can. I realize that this, along with ignoring current pop-culture as much as possible, dooms me in Jeopardy! and other trivia games. Fine by me...

Looked him up after reading this thread... Some religious kook, I guess. Big deal.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

alietr wrote:I will also add that if you go back to the beginning of this thread, the Archivists, bless their productive and knowledgeable little hearts, are working on getting the game recaps put into each day's thread. This will be the return of a feature I really enjoyed on the Sony board. A round of applause for the Archivists!
Awesome! Thanks to all involved!