For any of you who got "The Call"...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: For any of you who got "The Call"...

Post by alamble » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 pm

goroshnik wrote:Making the confirmation call tomorrow... I do have a couple of questions for them that you guys might be able to answer ahead of time...

1. Making ticket reservations for guests. My wife's coming along, and there are two friends of mine who live in Cali and hope to come, so will I be giving this info tomorrow or will I do that on the taping date (next Tuesday)? I might have one or two others out there who haven't confirmed their possible attending, so this list isn't set in stone by any means.
You will give them the names of all your guests tomorrow, and give them everyone who might come; it won't be a problem if some of them don't show, because the contestants' guests aren't seated with the regular audience anyway.

MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:11 am

Vermonter wrote:This is why I think the "CAR" wedge in the Wheel bonus round is the most disappointing prize in all of television.
Can confirm. I just taped "College Road Trip" for "Wheel of Fortune" on Friday, February 19 (airing Monday 3/28, eek! Watch for my J! reference during my interview ;) ) and all the contestants I talked to before taping agreed we didn't want to win a car, haha.

So of course WoF and J! are completely different shows, but they are on the same lot and share a lot of the same staff. The outside legal person for WoF (who I assume will also talk to you alone without J! staff) also works for Jeopardy. (That came up because we were talking about collusion and how that's obviously not allowed. She said it's more likely to happen on J! as it can be thrown easier. So, we were all asked "Are you going to cheat" and replied with "no" in unison). There was a person at my taping that had lots of ties with LA people and has a classmate that is a producer that works at the affiliate that airs Wheel. Not a problem. Just disclose everything. And there have been been people on Wheel which much closer ties to production. She gave the example of, "If you know a camera person or something from school, let us know. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to play, they just may be separated for your taping." They just want to avoid any impropriety. You'll have no problem, I'm sure.

Make-Up people are pros. I had Sandy who also does Trebek's make-up so it was fun to talk to her about that. I asked about him retiring soon and we talked about potential hosting prospects. She also does Dan Patrick's makeup for Sports J! They will make you look good. One of the contestants my week had really bad acne and she worked some magic on him! Yes to the hygiene of the makeup as well; they had the little poofy things numbered for each of us for commercial touch ups.

I strongly agree with cmp146's advice of trying to see a taping the day before if you can. I did this with the Thursday afternoon taping of "Wheel" (after seeing TPiR that morning...looooong day) and it put me at a lot more ease. Like, for the first 10 minutes my jaw was just dropped. "Am I really here?!" It made me a lot less nervous when I taped Friday. In fact, I had no nerves at all until our group of 3 drew the dreaded "1" ball (= first taping = Monday).

The Doubletree is a really great hotel. I mean, it's good enough. Super close to LAX, like a 10-15 minute uber. There is no shuttle to the Doubletree in Culver City on Centinela (from what another shuttle driver told me. Don't get on to the LAX Doubletree shuttle!)

Speaking of uber, USE IT! Or Lyft. It's stupid cheap. Lyft is more driver-friendly. They are the same thing. But please tip your uber driver a couple bucks. (Biased here...)

I had never been to LA (or CA) so I made a mini-vaca of it. Did the game show stuff Thurs, went to the comedy store and WeHo on Friday (where I met Hons Van Walter! Awesome btw), then Venice beach/Santa Monica Pier Saturday. All reasonable uber or lyft fares.

Overall, just have fun. Getting to the show is the real accomplishment. Yes, of course you want to win some money and hopefully at least one game, but keep it all in perspective! How many people get to actually be on Jeopardy!? And be prepared for a long day as someone else mentioned. I believe the schedule is similar (Rehearsal/rules & legal briefing/howdies from 8-12, then start at 12) but remember you could tape last as someone said. Which is really late. Best of luck and HAVE FUN!!!
Training for J! Follow me on Twitter if you want: https://twitter.com/IdLike2BuyAnOwl

goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Two days away now from beginning the fun of it all, and I'm ready to enjoy the whole ride. The wife, however, told me that she doesn't know if she can stand sitting in a studio all day long watching a quiz show.

Guess it's up to me to make sure that she's forced to watch her husband play as many games possible then. :)

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:43 pm

goroshnik wrote:Two days away now from beginning the fun of it all, and I'm ready to enjoy the whole ride. The wife, however, told me that she doesn't know if she can stand sitting in a studio all day long watching a quiz show.

Guess it's up to me to make sure that she's forced to watch her husband play as many games possible then. :)
If you win enough money then you can divorce her, problem solved. :o

MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 am

Haha your wife sounds like my best friend.

Also, if you do want to go to the taping the day before (looks like they do 11:00 and 2:15), just call the audience coordinator early that morning at 818-772-6788. (I know this is the number for large groups only, but it is the number I was given for Wheel when I emailed. From the J! ticketing website, I can tell this is the same number). It's weird though if the guy doesn't answer (forget his name), it's just a normal voicemail. But that is the number. And, he said it wouldn't be a problem to have 1 or 2. ("We always need 1," I was told).

Good luck and enjoy L.A.!
Training for J! Follow me on Twitter if you want: https://twitter.com/IdLike2BuyAnOwl

BarbraDarling

Post by BarbraDarling » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:28 pm

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:How late do people get The Call anyways? Since it's already mid-March, should pool swimmers wait until Season 33? (Stefan, your first show was very late int he season, when was your Call?)
February 23, actual contact made 2/26, for a March 25 taping (third to last week of shows of the season) as alternate, then an hour later to see if I was available to actually play at the March 31 taping (last week of shows for the season).
Actually, I just got the call last week for a taping the last week in April, so maybe they've extended things?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 pm

BarbraDarling wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:How late do people get The Call anyways? Since it's already mid-March, should pool swimmers wait until Season 33? (Stefan, your first show was very late int he season, when was your Call?)
February 23, actual contact made 2/26, for a March 25 taping (third to last week of shows of the season) as alternate, then an hour later to see if I was available to actually play at the March 31 taping (last week of shows for the season).
Actually, I just got the call last week for a taping the last week in April, so maybe they've extended things?
My dad was supposed to be an alternate the day after Alex ended up having his first heart attack, and the last episodes of that season were taped in April. I'm not surprised that after tapings were delayed for Alex's surgery this season, something similar should happen.

goroshnik

Post by goroshnik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 pm

MrMushnik wrote:Haha your wife sounds like my best friend.

Also, if you do want to go to the taping the day before (looks like they do 11:00 and 2:15), just call the audience coordinator early that morning at 818-772-6788. (I know this is the number for large groups only, but it is the number I was given for Wheel when I emailed. From the J! ticketing website, I can tell this is the same number). It's weird though if the guy doesn't answer (forget his name), it's just a normal voicemail. But that is the number. And, he said it wouldn't be a problem to have 1 or 2. ("We always need 1," I was told).

Good luck and enjoy L.A.!
Ah, if only we were getting there sooner tomorrow. Our flight won't land until 3:30 or so, so we're just a couple of hours too late for that 2:15 taping, which would have been GREAT to do ahead of time. Getting to see the layout of everything a day ahead of time would have greatly calmed these nerves, that's for sure.

T-minus 40 hours until game time!

MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:38 pm

You'll have plenty of time to see the set/rehearse (and hopefully don't go first or against some super-champ. :P) Have fun and here's to getting your wheelhouse categories!

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 pm

MrMushnik wrote:You'll have plenty of time to see the set/rehearse (and hopefully don't go first or against some super-champ. :P) Have fun and here's to getting your wheelhouse categories!
goroshnik, it's an absolutely magical experience when you go through the door, round the corner, and find yourself seeing the J! stage for the first time from a totally different angle. It feels so unexpectedly small and like a palace at the same time. Treasure that moment when you're in it, and good luck.

goroshnik

Post by goroshnik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Thanks for ALL the great advice, everyone!

Off to the airport we go in the morning, so this'll be the last you hear from me until I get back (hopefully on Friday). :)

And of course, I won't be able to share anything until June, so that'll be fun.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 am

goroshnik wrote:Thanks for ALL the great advice, everyone!

Off to the airport we go in the morning, so this'll be the last you hear from me until I get back (hopefully on Friday). :)

And of course, I won't be able to share anything until June, so that'll be fun.
This is why its essential to get the contact info for your fellow contestants! They'll be the only ones you can really talk to until your airdate. I was lucky that the returning champion was already a jboardie (old-school Sony boards in those days), so he just gave me a slip of paper with his name here.

MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:26 am

Excellent idea!!

I actually started writing a paper with "2016 WoF College Week" contact info, but didn't want to be *that* weirdo so I threw it out. :P Of course, I imagine it's different for J! since there's returning champions and stuff. I was lucky enough to know 2 others through the "Wheel" fan site "Buy A Vowel" boards though, so we weren't allowed to play against each other (and thank god b/c they were good :P )

SeanC
Contributor

Post by SeanC » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:31 am

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
MrMushnik wrote:You'll have plenty of time to see the set/rehearse (and hopefully don't go first or against some super-champ. :P) Have fun and here's to getting your wheelhouse categories!
goroshnik, it's an absolutely magical experience when you go through the door, round the corner, and find yourself seeing the J! stage for the first time from a totally different angle. It feels so unexpectedly small and like a palace at the same time. Treasure that moment when you're in it, and good luck.
What blew my mind about that moment was that the studio wasn't behind any great big closed doors or anything; it was just around a divider wall from the main hallway, right across from the green room. They walked us over there, and I thought, "This was right here when we came in the building, and I didn't even know it!" It's a weird thought, because of course it was, but it still blew my mind. Somebody in our group commented that it was surreal, and someone else (I think Steve Stoffle, this past Friday's champ) said that it was more "super-real." I think that's a good summary of it.

goroshnik

Post by goroshnik » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:12 am

Well, I can't update anything that happened, of course, but I did find out just a few hours ago that my initial airdate, June 17th, will almost certainly get pre-empted here in the Chicago market, thanks to the ABC Channel 7 affiliate's acquiring a slew of Chicago Cubs games this year.

Sure enough, one of the afternoon games that ABC's got on the slate is Friday, June 17th:

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/abc7-to-t ... 6/1196679/

ACK! Well, there goes the viewing party.

In the past, any J! shows that were pre-empted by Cubs games would be shown late, LATE at night, usually around 2AM or so, but that's never really been set in stone, so for now, I really don't know WHAT time I'll be seeing my big mug on TV.

Guess it's gonna be a slumber party! :roll:

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 am

goroshnik wrote:Well, I can't update anything that happened, of course, but I did find out just a few hours ago that my initial airdate, June 17th, will almost certainly get pre-empted here in the Chicago market, thanks to the ABC Channel 7 affiliate's acquiring a slew of Chicago Cubs games this year.

Sure enough, one of the afternoon games that ABC's got on the slate is Friday, June 17th:

In the past, any J! shows that were pre-empted by Cubs games would be shown late, LATE at night, usually around 2AM or so, but that's never really been set in stone, so for now, I really don't know WHAT time I'll be seeing my big mug on TV.

Perhaps someone from somewhere else can record it and you can watch (at your convenience, since I'm sure that 3:30 (?) would be inconvenient for a viewing party anyways) the video for your party!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

goroshnik

Post by goroshnik » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 am

dhkendall wrote:
goroshnik wrote:Well, I can't update anything that happened, of course, but I did find out just a few hours ago that my initial airdate, June 17th, will almost certainly get pre-empted here in the Chicago market, thanks to the ABC Channel 7 affiliate's acquiring a slew of Chicago Cubs games this year.

Perhaps someone from somewhere else can record it and you can watch (at your convenience, since I'm sure that 3:30 (?) would be inconvenient for a viewing party anyways) the video for your party!
We were already planning to head out to either a bar or restaurant that would have made sure to have the show on at 3:30, but I don't know about 3:30 in the morning.

The funny part is that my sister and her husband are heading up to Milwaukee that day, so they'll be able to watch it before I do. I told them not to spoil it for me by telling me who won. :)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:36 am

goroshnik wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

We were already planning to head out to either a bar or restaurant that would have made sure to have the show on at 3:30, but I don't know about 3:30 in the morning.

The funny part is that my sister and her husband are heading up to Milwaukee that day, so they'll be able to watch it before I do. I told them not to spoil it for me by telling me who won. :)
Actually I was referring to 3:30 in the afternoon (oh good, I was right in remembering the Chicago time!) I thought that was inconvenient because most people are still at work at 3:30, most viewing parties I hear about are around 7 or so, but most viewing parties are in Eastern or Pacific, when it airs then.

I'm wondering if other midwesterners had low turnout for their viewing party because it was during work hours? With my local station (also in the midwest) airing it at 3:30 it's become a real concern for me (I was half thinking of making sure the place where mine would be would have a decent cable package to get the Spokane station that airs it at 9pm Central time), or is this something I'd needn't worry about?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012