Pavlov revival

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

phi
Contributor

Re: Pavlov revival

Post by phi »

DDG wrote:What I would find most useful, and I think I may be speaking on behalf of a few of my Canadian compatriots when I ask, is whether anyone knows of a reliable Pavlov list or other resource for Americana / American presidents / American history / American literature / etc?
I would be surprised if a nice list of such Pavlovs exists. From my experience watching the show, Jeopardy! asks an enormous number of questions about the presidents (indeed, I would anecdotally say it's the #1 category you should know), and while there are certainly some associations you could make (i.e. bachelor president = Buchanan), I think this is a case where having some depth of knowledge will prove really useful. Like, at a minimum, you should know their names in order, the years they served and what party they belonged to. Other things that are sometimes asked, or that are useful to know, roughly in decreasing order of importance: vice presidents, what political positions they held before they became president, names of spouses, state they're from, middle name, names of children. You should also know major things that happened when they're in office, plus, like, a ton of other stuff.

I think having a deeper understanding of presidents also helps solidify my knowledge of events in American history. For example, when I decided to memorize the order of the presidents a few months ago, I didn't just go off a list; rather, I perused the Wikipedia article of each one. Now I can kind of work forward by thinking about the major events that were happening in American history at the time. This makes me slower, yes, but it also means I'm less likely to forget. Depends on your learning style, I suppose.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure a list of such Pavlovs would actually be useful; while some definitely exist (i.e. president who served on supreme court), such a list would only cover a small fraction of the amount of information you need on this particular topic, so your time is probably better spent learning about the subject as a whole. I find that this also makes studying easier to justify to myself, because I can convince myself I'm actually learning important things, rather than memorizing useless associations for a game show. In contrast, for example, I think that patent/inventor list I gave earlier covers like, 90% of what you'll need to know on that topic, so there you're probably best off just memorizing the Pavlovs. But maybe you're still interested anyway? And maybe your study methods differ from mine.
DDG wrote:I would add one more subject to that desired Pavlovs list: The Bible. I am consistently stumped on what I am sure are relatively straightforward Bible questions, and I'm not sure of a useful resource with which to study the subject "broad and narrow" for Jeopardy! and general knowledge purposes...
From skimming j-archive, it doesn't look like there's as ton of coherence to the bible questions. I mean sure, there's some -- Moses = Exodus; people cast into flames = Daniel; Solmon = wise; pity sayings = Proverbs, etc. etc. -- but there's a lot of odds and ends, and I'm guessing this is another category where it might be useful to have a general understanding of the major events.

Thoughts?
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

All of these have been asked about before, though with varying frequencies. In three groups, based roughly on how often they seem to appear; I'd say the top group is essential, second group is important, third group is extremely low-frequency and you can ignore it. Michigan gets asked about a lot. This list is close to exhaustive.

PENINSULAS

Yucatan peninsula - Mexico. Cozumel is an island just off it.
Arabian peninsula - World's largest. Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Oman. Contains the "empty quarter" desert Rub Al-Khali. Red sea created when it "split" from Africa
Sinai peninsula - Egypt. Israel occupied it 1967-82
Jutland - Denmark
Malay peninsula - also called Kra peninsula. Singapore at its tip.
Peleponesian peninsula, Peleponnesus - Greece
Crimean peninsula - Ukrane. Contains Yalta.
Iberian peninsula - Spain, Portugal
Korean peninsula
Balkan peninsula
Scandanavian peninsula - Norway, Sweden

Baja peninsula - Mexico
Seward peninsula - Alaska
Indochina peninsula - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam
Kamchatka peninsula - Russia
Bataan peninsula - Phillippines
Gallipoli - Turkey
Cape York peninsula - Australia
Apennine peninsula - Italy

Gaspe peninsula - Quebec
Kola peninsula - Russia
Brittany - in northwest of France
Attic peninsula - Greece
Labrador peninsula - Canada
Asia minor - Turkey
Kowloon peninsula - Hong Kong

U.S.
Michigan: Upper peninsula, lower peninsula, Macinack bridge. Motto: "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you"
Florida
Massachusetts - Cape Cod (Clue often contains the word "fish")
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

DDG wrote:I would add one more subject to that desired Pavlovs list: The Bible. I am consistently stumped on what I am sure are relatively straightforward Bible questions, and I'm not sure of a useful resource with which to study the subject "broad and narrow" for Jeopardy! and general knowledge purposes...
I've put together a short diagnostic quiz (taken from actual Jeopardy! clues) to see how much you know about the Bible. I've placed the clues in what I think is increasing order of difficulty. If you are someone who feels that Bible clues are a strong weakness, I'd be interested to know how you do on this quiz. (If you don't consider Bible clues to be a weakness, I suspect this quiz will give you no trouble. I would say, save for the last clue, these are all pretty basic.)

For bonus points or extra practice, for the starred clues pick out the single word which represents the "Pavlov point" for that clue.

*1. THE OLD TESTAMENT: The son of Lamech & grandson of Methuselah, he was 600 years old "when the flood of waters was upon the earth"

*2. JOHN GREENLEAF WHITTIER LINES: When this biblical king spares an ant hill, the Queen of Sheba realizes she knows "the secret of thy worth and wisdom"

*3. APOSTLES: There's no doubt Jesus told him "I am the way, the truth & the life"

4. BIBLICAL PEOPLE: "The angel of the Lord appeared unto him" in a burning bush

5. THE NAKED TRUTH: When Adam & Eve realized they were naked, they sewed these together to make aprons

6. BIBLE BOOK HIGHLIGHTS: 7 seals, 7 trumpets, Satan gets his, don't add "S" to the response

*7. OLD TESTAMENT WOMEN: After his patience was tested, he was rewarded with a new family including 3 girls, Jemima, Kezia & Kerenhappuch

8. THE BIBLE: He easily broke the bowstrings Delilah used to bind him

9. HEY, "GOOD" LOOKING!: He's the hero of the parable in Luke 10

*10. TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL: A Michigan realtor claimed that this New Testament man (& his head) appeared to him 30 times between 1927 & 1933

*11. BIBLE BOOKS BY FAMOUS PHRASE: "Physician, heal thyself"

-M3
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

Nice. Here are two more which should probably appear toward the top of your list; both also include single word "Pavlov points."

*GIANTS: Before David cut off his head, this Philistine giant stood "six cubits and a span"

*THE BIBLE: This book says Nineveh was so big it took 3 days to cross; that's a whale of a tale to us
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:strong weakness
Heh-heh. :P That's how I actually talk.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
I've put together a short diagnostic quiz (taken from actual Jeopardy! clues) to see how much you know about the Bible. I've placed the clues in what I think is increasing order of difficulty. If you are someone who feels that Bible clues are a strong weakness, I'd be interested to know how you do on this quiz. (If you don't consider Bible clues to be a weakness, I suspect this quiz will give you no trouble. I would say, save for the last clue, these are all pretty basic.)

For bonus points or extra practice, for the starred clues pick out the single word which represents the "Pavlov point" for that clue.

*1. THE OLD TESTAMENT: The son of Lamech & grandson of Methuselah, he was 600 years old "when the flood of waters was upon the earth"

*2. JOHN GREENLEAF WHITTIER LINES: When this biblical king spares an ant hill, the Queen of Sheba realizes she knows "the secret of thy worth and wisdom"

*3. APOSTLES: There's no doubt Jesus told him "I am the way, the truth & the life"

5. THE NAKED TRUTH: When Adam & Eve realized they were naked, they sewed these together to make aprons

6. BIBLE BOOK HIGHLIGHTS: 7 seals, 7 trumpets, Satan gets his, don't add "S" to the response

*7. OLD TESTAMENT WOMEN: After his patience was tested, he was rewarded with a new family including 3 girls, Jemima, Kezia & Kerenhappuch

*10. TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL: A Michigan realtor claimed that this New Testament man (& his head) appeared to him 30 times between 1927 & 1933

-M3
Spoiler
1. Noah
2. David
3. Thomas
4. Moses
5. Fig leaves
6. Revelation
8. Samson
9. The Good Samaritan
10. John the Baptist
11. Luke (he was a doctor)
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

Bamaman wrote: *2. JOHN GREENLEAF WHITTIER LINES: When this biblical king spares an ant hill, the Queen of Sheba realizes she knows "the secret of thy worth and wisdom"
Spoiler
2. David
Spoiler
For the sake of others who might study off this, the correct answer is actually Solomon. The Pavlov word here is "wisdom"; whenever you see that in reference to a biblical king, it's Solomon.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:For bonus points or extra practice, for the starred clues pick out the single word which represents the "Pavlov point" for that clue.
I got 10 out of 11 going through the quiz just now. In the spoiler, I've highlighted what I think of as the "Pavlov point" (there may be some subjectivity here).
Spoiler

DDG
Contributor

Post by DDG »

5/10. That was a bloodbath, although this exercise was useful for its introducing me to a few new Pavlovs and highlighting just how much I have to learn about Bible. Give me mythology any day!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: For bonus points or extra practice, for the starred clues pick out the single word which represents the "Pavlov point" for that clue.
Spoiler
*1.flood
Noah

*2. wisdom
Solomon

*3. doubt
Thomas

4. Moses

5. fig leaves?

6. Revelation

*7. tested
Job

8. Samson

9. Good Samaritan

*10. head
John the Baptist

*11. Clam
Thanks for this, Myron. I consider the Bible a weakness for myself, so I was heartened to see that I at least had a confident guess for all but the last question.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Warning - I started this post and then proceeded to ramble on. I shouldn't have posted it, but after working on it for a half hour. I thought, what the heck and put it on here. If I am chastised for rambling on. Hey, I've already warned you and you are preaching to the choir, so to speak. :)

There are things you know and things you do not know. Bible quiz, piece of cake. Those were not 10 questions, those were 10 easy questions. I've attended church most of the 45 years of my life, and my wife is an ordained minister. I've had a great love of sports all of my life. Almost every single sports question that is on jeopardy is easy.

I've said this before, I have way too many gaps in knowledge that would kill me on a show of jeopardy. For example, there are probably people on this board that have spent more time in a bar in the last month than I have my entire life. What I know of alcohol comes from Beer commercials on TV, and that ain't much. I speak zero foreign languages, so any answer based on this foreign word meaning.... is probably impossible for me. Greek or Latin word origins. I’d like to go back in time and make those fools from Italy, Greece and the middle east use English word origins. Then I might stand a chance.

I've found that I know next to nothing about food, other than I eat what my wife cooks, and she is an outstanding cook, I don't know a lot about fruits/vegetables or spices. And anything grammer related. Lord, help me I'm hosed. I cannot spell. Nastiest Jeopardy category ever. Spell the answer. The person that comes up with that category is a heartless sherm killer that probably loves words of greek and latin origin.

My spelling is so bad that I even spell check any post on here of length so I don't look like a fool. Then often replace a word with something close in spelling and still look like a fool (I confuse the usage of where and were, all of the time, I know it and still mess it up). Here is the problem. That stuff doesn't interest me. Therefore, I do not learn it easily. If the bible does not interest you, you are in trouble on bible questions.

I've really gotten the Jeopardy bug over the last year. I've raised my average Coryat score from around 15K to 21K, and on the tests. I've taken a handful of the old ones from youtube. I'm now a 32 to 34 guy on really consistent basis, but I can see it slowing down. The first time I ever took a jeopardy test, early 2011. I got a 26. Of the three from last week. I would have gotten a 39 on the first one, but I was just under 35 on the other two including the one I took for real on Thursday.

I'm getting very proficient in the items I enjoy. US and World History, geography, famous people. Presidents. TV and movies (especially from my youth anything from 1970's-to the mid 90's), but there is almost always two categories on most shows. That I get stoned (zero or one out of five). That is a killer, and it is very hard to change.

Swing categories for me. Artist, composers and literature. Two years ago, I knew very little. Today I find myself saying. I knew that after the answer, or saying Goya when it was Velazquez. Hey, they are both Spanish, they should both be right.

Jeopardy, for me has become a self-competition on a nightly basis. I truly enjoy seeing how I do. It would be neat to be able to get on the show or even an audition, but I’m half afraid that If I made the show it would ruin it for me. What do you shoot for then, because you are going to lose and its going to happen very quickly.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sherm wrote:There are things you know and things you do not know. Bible quiz, piece of cake. Those were not 10 questions, those were 10 easy questions. I've attended church most of the 45 years of my life, and my wife is an ordained minister. I've had a great love of sports all of my life. Almost every single sports question that is on jeopardy is easy.
That is what the Pavlovs are for, for people whose Bible knowledge isn't as sound as yours or mine (I also have been a long-time church goer), but there have been some that have already said that they didn't do that well on the quiz and a Bible Pavlov is/was needed. While I don't need a Bible Pavlov, I do need a sports Pavlov, as I would vehemently disagree with your statement that "almost every single sports question that is on [J]eopardy is easy". I don't follow sports, and I don't absorb sports trivia as easily as other types, so I don't do well on Jeopardy sports questions at all (a 0/5 is not uncommon for a sports category for me). "Degree of difficulty" is always variable, which is why there should be as many Pavlov lists as we can, to cover all the knowledge holes out there, we may not need the Bible one, but others definitely will.
Sherm wrote:Here is the problem. That stuff doesn't interest me. Therefore, I do not learn it easily.
But, here's the thing, Jeopardy isn't out to have you know everything about a particular topic, just certain key facts (which is the beauty of the Pavlovs, they're a condensing of the key facts that Jeopardy asks and that's it, reading the Bible Pavlov wouldn't let you, say, be able to expound a theory on who the author of the book of Hebrews is, or the activities of Jesus during his adolescence, or to identify which parts of the Gospels were from the Q source, say, but it will lead you to respond "Job" when there's a clue of "trials" or "patience" in the clue. That's good enough for Jeopardy.As I mention, sportsdoesn't interest me, but I'm at least attemtping to learn what Jeopardy will ask about sports to get my Coryat up.
Sherm wrote:I’m half afraid that If I made the show it would ruin it for me. What do you shoot for then, because you are going to lose and its going to happen very quickly.
As you point out, everyone loses a game of Jeopardy! eventually, and I think part of the criterion the CCs are looking for are people that realize that (and realize that "it's only a game"). You know that there are a fair number of former contestants (ranging from TOC winners to one-and-dones) on the board, and obviously none of them think that Jeopardy! is "ruined" for them, because they're active contributors on a board about Jeopardy!.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

dhkendall wrote:As you point out, everyone loses a game of Jeopardy! eventually, and I think part of the criterion the CCs are looking for are people that realize that (and realize that "it's only a game"). You know that there are a fair number of former contestants (ranging from TOC winners to one-and-dones) on the board, and obviously none of them think that Jeopardy! is "ruined" for them, because they're active contributors on a board about Jeopardy!.
I used to be a very competitive person in certain areas. Basketball, I was good (small college level) and played in leagues into my mid 30's. I often said I'd rather lose 71-70 to a team better than win a game 90-50. The thrill of giving everything you had, even when you come up short, is about as good as it gets. Then it started to happen. Pulled muscles, and not being able to walk without a limp for days at a time. I still play basketball. Pickup games. I called it a jog while we shoot around a little. The competitive part of it is completely gone and it should be. I want it to be pure fun for the others around as well as myself. We laugh make fun of ourselves, but the thrill of giving it all, left a long time ago, and it is not the same.

I never was on a trivia team in HS, College or anything like that. I always knew jeopardy existed, but rarely ever watched, and then I started sometime in 2010. I have good recall. I pick up things, and they stay in my memory. I mentioned in the other post. History, Presidents, Geography. I enjoy them. It's interesting, because I never gave that stuff much of a thought. I started tracking my scores in March of 2011. Now, I'm watching Jeopardy, and find myself going to the Jarchive and checking out stuff. Wikipedia has become easily the most viewed webpage on my computer.

I get a true joy out of how I do a nightly basis. It has really become a competition against myself. I’m watching jeopardy nightly. It's an automatic record on my DVR and its the last thing I do before going to bed. I truly look forward to it. A good end to the day. That competitive thing I lost in hoops. I'm getting some of that feeling again, it's neat. I would never turn down a chance to be on the show, but in trying to get better (and I have improved) I am hoping that I can get good enough to get the opportunity. It would be great, but I'm sure I'd lose something as a result, because the ultimate goal would be gone.

That's just me, everyone is different.

BTW, the Pavlovs from the early pages of this thread. They are all in a folder and I go over them monthly, with the exceptions of the sports one. ESPN had a beat the expert show a couple of years ago. Except for the horseracing and hockey, I could match their expert on about everything else, but I wasn't going to drive to New York just to wait and hope to get an interview. I wish they would have had an on-line test.
Last edited by Sherm on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't catch the wisdom TOC, costing me a sweep. Oh, well.

On presidents, Id say learning them in order and the years they served is the most important thing. A lot of clues are basically "Who was president in such and such year?".
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

dhkendall wrote:
Sherm wrote:Here is the problem. That stuff doesn't interest me. Therefore, I do not learn it easily.
But, here's the thing, Jeopardy isn't out to have you know everything about a particular topic, just certain key facts (which is the beauty of the Pavlovs, they're a condensing of the key facts that Jeopardy asks and that's it, reading the Bible Pavlov wouldn't let you, say, be able to expound a theory on who the author of the book of Hebrews is, or the activities of Jesus during his adolescence, or to identify which parts of the Gospels were from the Q source, say, but it will lead you to respond "Job" when there's a clue of "trials" or "patience" in the clue. That's good enough for Jeopardy.
This is very, very true. For example, I've looked through the archive. Here is 90% of what you need to know about Andrew Jackson:

7th president, 1829-37
Democrat
Associated with the state of Tennessee; founded Memphis
His Tennessee residence was called the Hermitage
Also associated with expelling Indians from Florida; hated Indians in general
Nicknamed "Old Hickory"
Defeated the British in the Battle of New Orleans, in the War of 1812
His cabinet was known as the "kitchen cabinet"
Appears on $20 bill
Got involved in a lot of duels
White house trashed during his inauguration
Got more popular votes and electoral votes than John Quincy Adams 1824, but lost in the house of representatives
Whig party was formed to defeat him

I think the "right" way to study for this stuff is to just trawl through the archive and extract the requisite information, then just study only those facts. There are other questions that might be asked about Jackson, but they're so low-frequency that your time will be better spent studying common facts about other topics.

Is this what counts as "Pavlov"? I think I'm a little misguided about the term... I assumed Pavlovs referred to one or two-word call-and-responses (Finnish + composer = Sibelius is, to me, the canonical example). The above list is more "short list of facts you should know." If that's the kind of thing people are looking for, I've mostly compiled a list for bible stuff, and am slowly working on presidents; I can post that when it's done.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

phi wrote:Is this what counts as "Pavlov"? I think I'm a little misguided about the term... I assumed Pavlovs referred to one or two-word call-and-responses (Finnish + composer = Sibelius is, to me, the canonical example). The above list is more "short list of facts you should know." If that's the kind of thing people are looking for, I've mostly compiled a list for bible stuff, and am slowly working on presidents; I can post that when it's done.
Your Sibelius example is the quintessential Pavlov, yes, and what the Pavlov lists are for, but such compilations of facts are very useful to us too, they just aren't Pavlovs in the strict sense.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

I think that this thread needs a bump in recognition of mrbungle aka Ryan Chaffee's "Jeopardy pavlovs".

http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... ecades00s/
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

omgwheelhouse wrote:I think that this thread needs a bump in recognition of mrbungle aka Ryan Chaffee's "Jeopardy pavlovs".

http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... ecades00s/
thank you, omg!!!!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Whats the pavlov for the question about the scientist and the ringing bell? Something to do with a dog? Man I just cant figure it out
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Not that this would help for this year's online test, but it would be helpful if someone did a Pavlov list for bodies of water (lakes, rivers, etc.)

OK, it would help people that aren't taking the test tonight like me. :roll:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.