Pavlov revival

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Pavlov revival

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm
davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm
Numbered poem = Emily Dickinson
I wouldn't say Dickinson's poems are particularly known for being numbered...especially since she didn't number them herself. They're known by their first lines, and that's how J! refers to them.
That's how J! refers to them = the reason it's a Pavlov!
Yes, their first lines can be Pavlovian. Not numbers.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:13 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm
davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm
Numbered poem = Emily Dickinson
I wouldn't say Dickinson's poems are particularly known for being numbered...especially since she didn't number them herself. They're known by their first lines, and that's how J! refers to them.
That's how J! refers to them = the reason it's a Pavlov!
Yes, their first lines can be Pavlovian. Not numbers.
"Her poem No." followed by a numeral appears 5 times in clues in the J-Archive, always referring to Emily Dickinson. It's a Pavlov.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And there was just a clue for the college test this week that quoted a poem of hers I'd never heard of, but I got it because they cited a number.

E.E. Cummings actually numbered his poems himself.
davey

Post by davey »

Thanks, both, and my apologies to mas3cf. Obviously I haven't had a look at the college test yet... :oops:
I would point out, though, that 5 is a pretty low number of the hits for Emily Dickinson in the archive. This isn't the only thing to know about her. For instance, there are dozens of hits that include her hometown.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm Thanks, both, and my apologies to mas3cf. Obviously I haven't had a look at the college test yet... :oops:
I would point out, though, that 5 is a pretty low number of the hits for Emily Dickinson in the archive. This isn't the only thing to know about her. For instance, there are dozens of hits that include her hometown.
I haven’t checked, but I would guess there’s more that might say her many poems, over one thousand poems, or other wording to indicate a huge volume of work.

That and timeframe always gives me her name.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am
davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm Thanks, both, and my apologies to mas3cf. Obviously I haven't had a look at the college test yet... :oops:
I haven’t checked, but I would guess there’s more that might say her many poems, over one thousand poems, or other wording to indicate a huge volume of work.

That and timeframe always gives me her name.
Yes, there are some that refer to her volume. "Timeframe" is even more key, I'd think. Is there another 19th C. American female poet that J! cites?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

At various times during my 8 years playing LearnedLeague, I have missed all of the following questions:

What are the 2 South American countries that do not border Brazil?
Spoiler
Ecuador and Chile
What are the 2 South American countries that are landlocked?
Spoiler
Bolivia and Paraguay
Lake Titicaca is located on the border between what 2 South American countries?
Spoiler
Peru and Bolivia
The equator passes through what 3 South American countries?
Spoiler
Ecuador, Colombia, and Brazil
Not exactly Pavlovs, but definitely Things Worth Knowing. I'd throw in "What 2 countries meet at the border between North and South America?", in case you don't already know that.
Spoiler
Panama and Colombia
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

I wonder what revenge Schrödinger’s cat cooked up? Assuming of course the box was opened.....
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Golf wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:06 am I wonder what revenge Schrödinger’s cat cooked up? Assuming of course the box was opened.....
The cat, of course, refused to come out of the box, thereby stymying all attempts to determine his state.