Friday, March 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BILLION VIEWS ON YOUTUBE (4/5)
EXPLORATION (5/5)
BUGGY WORDS & PHRASES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
U.S. FIRSTS (4/5)
THE MIDDLE (4/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS' LAST WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gordon: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Katrina: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Victor: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katrina snagged the next Daily Double on the 26th clue. Katrina had $7,000, Victor had $5,600, and Gordon was at $18,600. Katrina wagered $4,000.

BUGGY WORDS & PHRASES $2000: This phrase for a flaw that spoils something good has its origin in Ecclesiastes 10:1
(Alex: We're running out of time, Katrina. At the moment, this game's a runaway for Gordon.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katrina who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Katrina had $11,400, Victor had $5,200, and Gordon was at $20,200. Katrina wagered $4,000.

LITERARY CHARACTERS' LAST WORDS $1200: "Bob! Make up the fires, and buy another coal-scuttle before you dot another I, Bob Cratchit!"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A BILLION VIEWS ON YOUTUBE $2000: Count the views on "Counting Stars" by this group & it's north of a billion

U.S. FIRSTS $2000: Depicting the 5,400 stars visible to man, the USA's first planetarium was this one in Chicago that opened in 1930

THE MIDDLE $2000: This 3-word Latin phrase means "in the middle of things"
(Victor: What is in media res?)
(Gordon: In res media?)

LITERARY CHARACTERS' LAST WORDS $2000: Tessie Hutchinson, in this 1948 short story:
"It isn't fair, it isn't right"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gordon: $20,200
Katrina: $15,400
Victor: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY DOCUMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Gordon: Wager $10,601 to cover Katrina. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $201.
Katrina: You'll want to wager between $4,801 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), and you'll win the game if Gordon wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Victor: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its preamble substituted the words "a permanent federal government" for "a more perfect union"

FINAL SCORES
Victor: $5,200 - $0 = $5,200 (What is the Gettysburg Address?) (3rd place)
Katrina: $15,400 - $5,000 = $10,400 (What is the Constituion?) (2nd place)
Gordon: $20,200 + $4,500 = $24,700 (What is the Confederate Const.) (New champion: $24,700)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gordon: $20,200, 26 R, 2 W
Katrina: $10,600, 16 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Victor: $5,200, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Gordon: 27/58 = .466
Katrina: 16/61 = .262
Victor: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
U.S. GEOGRAPHY $200: The Niagara River is the only natural outlet of this Great Lake

FROM "C" TO SHINING "C" $400: Type of unit used to measure 3-dimensional volume
(Gordon: What is [*]...)
(Alex: [*] is enough. Just stop right there. You were--you were doing so well, and your mouth wanted to keep going.)

BUSTED! $200: Seen here is a bust by Rodin of this "Les Miserables" author

IT'S THE WURST $400: Jadgwurst is also known as hunter's this sausage, named for an Italian city
(Gordon: What is... salami?)

BUSTED! $400: A gigantic bust of his head tops his monument at Highgate Cemetery in London

FROM "C" TO SHINING "C" $200: Our clue is written in this alphabet

FROM "C" TO SHINING "C" $1000: A person skeptical of others' motives, or a member of an ancient Greek sect founded by Antisthenes
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute now.)

BUSTED! $1000: The bust of this Egyptian queen has been called the ultimate symbol of female beauty

BUSTED! $800: At the Louvre, you can see Bernini's bust of this French cardinal & statesman

WEAPONS IN THE BOARD GAME CLUE $600: Name of the former park for football's 49ers
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A BILLION VIEWS ON YOUTUBE $1200: The son of a singing superstar from Spain, he got into the billion club with "Bailando"
(Katrina: Who is Ricky Martin?)

THE MIDDLE $800: About the size of Africa, Aphrodite Terra is a plateau region stretching across the middle of this planet

EXPLORATION $2000: In January 1643 this Dutchman left New Zealand & a month later became the first European to reach Fiji
(Katrina: Who is Magellan?)

BUGGY WORDS & PHRASES $1600: A nice housewarming gift, it grows easily in baskets

U.S. FIRSTS $400: Launched in 1965 as the USA's first commercial satellite, it caught TV signals, not "the worm"
(Victor: What is the Apple?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Bavaria
lead pipe
a fly in the ointment
(Ebenezer) Scrooge
OneRepublic
the Adler Planetarium
in medias res
"The Lottery"
the Confederate Constitution
Lake Erie
cubic
Victor Hugo
bologna (baloney accepted)
Karl Marx
Cyrillic
a cynic
Nefertiti
Richelieu
Candlestick Park
Enrique Iglesias
Venus
(Abel) Tasman
a spider plant
the Early Bird

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY DOCUMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its preamble substituted the words “A permanent federal government” for “a more perfect union”

Katrina Mundinger: 15400-5000=10400
Victor Ferreira: 5200-0=5200
Gordon Moffat: 20200+4500=24700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Confederate Constitution (Katrina - The Constitution) (Victor - Gettysburg Address) (Gordon - Confederate Const.)
Daily Doubles
Katrina: 800+800 & 7000+4000 & 11400+4000

Coryats
Katrina: 10600
Victor: 5200
Gordon: 20200

Combined: 36,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Not to all Golf, but that was horrible end game play. Then three bad FJ wagers.

FJ was a pretty easy get. Was there a big debate on taking Const. for constitution?

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Bamaman wrote:Not to all Golf, but that was horrible end game play. Then three bad FJ wagers.

FJ was a pretty easy get. Was there a big debate on taking Const. for constitution?
My thinking on FJ was that it must be the Constitution that the Confederate States wrote up, but I wasn't sure it was called simply the "Confederate Constitution." Pretty pleased that my guess ended up correctly.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that Katrina didn't try to protect herself from a lock on the penultimate wager there. If she had wagered a dollar less in Final, I think that would have been acceptable strategy. Maybe Gordon was betting to win on a TS in Final?

I got 40 right, 3 wrong. Cleaned up on Lead Pipe, OneRepublic, and The Lottery. Also got all three DD's.

EDIT: After some further research, I think it's 39R, 4W, because I said "Nefertiri" instead of "Nefertiti". :|

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Bamaman wrote:Not to all Golf, but that was horrible end game play. Then three bad FJ wagers.
Don't forget Katrina's DD wager on that final clue. Woooof. She wagers enough to give Gordon a runaway if she misses, but not enough to take over first place if she gets it right. Instead she settles for being within two-thirds if she gets it right. But at least she has Victor locked out... until she wagers just enough to let him back in the game to win via forced tiebreaker if everything goes his way.

The wagers did make some sense. Katrina was trying to get ahead of Gordon's score if she got it right. She just wagered $1 too much and let Victor back in the game. Gordon was trying to stay ahead of Katrina's score if he got it wrong. He was banking on her not going all in but trying to stay ahead of Victor. Victor was pretty much hosed and had to decide what kind of wagering mistakes his opponents might make. His $0 wager didn't position him well to take advantage of those mistakes in my opinion. But maybe he hated the category.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:31 pm

If you're going to bet enough to sink you if you're wrong, go for the lead!! I know it's futile, but it makes me feel better typing it :lol:

I'm not even sure what to say about those FJ wagers. At least Katrina would've beaten Gordon if he got it wrong wtih a standard shutout wager, but why offer Victor the tie? And Victor, your only shot is to get it right, and hope for the suicide wager from 2nd. Don't give up!

FJ took longer than it should have, but a get is a get.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:37 pm

I ended a bad week of FJ!, but thankfully not an 0fer, by guessing the constitution of Liberia.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Congrats to Gordon on his win. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: lead pipe, OneRepublic, Adler Planetarium, and The Lottery. I also got FJ.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Anybody out there with mad Latin skilz? It's been too long for me on this one. Here's my understanding. They negged in media res, insisting on the phrase in medias res. Fair enough, that's the literary term. But it does not mean "in the middle of things". It means "into the middle of things". "In the middle of things" would require a switch from the accusative to the ablative: in mediis rebus. The negged response in media res couples an ablative singular adjective with an accusative plural noun, so it's just a big ole mess. But still. If they're going to get stuffy about things like that, it behooves them to get their own Latin right.

I suspect more than a few scholarly sources have used the incorrect in media res, which would be a good argument for accepting it. But Google insists on being helpful and returning hits for in medias res even when that's not what I'm asking about. So I can't zero in on sources that use the wrong form.

Golf

Post by Golf » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Katrina did well with 5 clues on the board to pick the one guaranteed to hold a DD, then failed on her wager.

But the worst was yet to come! With two clues left Gordon knows for sure where the last DD is, and picks the other clue. But then, when Katrina luckboxes into the last DD, makes a wager that if wrong guarantees a loss. If right doesn't change much. "Just wagers $4000" because it worked out last time. Well, no. It didn't work out last time. You simply answered correctly.

It is situations like these that cause me to scream at the TV. Preparation is so important and so few contestants do so. I want to see these contestants do well.

I got a bit distracted during FJ, but from what I saw Victor didn't even try to win when he could have. Katrina had the right idea with her wager but offered a tie to a Victor double up. And Gordon didn't protect the double up but at least forced Katrina to answer correct.

DBear

Post by DBear » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:29 pm

I knew the betting police would be out after that ending DD bet. If she's wrong, she's out of it, and if she's right, she's still behind? Made no sense.
FJ Response: "What is the CSA Constitution?"

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:34 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Not to go all Golf, but that was horrible end game play. Then three bad FJ wagers.
The wagers did make some sense. Katrina was trying to get ahead of Gordon's score if she got it right. She just wagered $1 too much and let Victor back in the game. Gordon was trying to stay ahead of Katrina's score if he got it wrong. He was banking on her not going all in but trying to stay ahead of Victor.
I didn't think Gordon's FJ wager made a heck of a lot of sense. If he wanted to stay above a zero wager by Katrina, why stop at $4500? That leaves him with 300 over her pre FJ score if he gets it wrong. He could have gone for $24,999 total and still stayed above her hypothetical zero wager. Maybe he just likes even 500s in the same way Katrina likes nice even 100s. Or maybe he is another Fred Vaughn.
It's going to be very, very interesting to see how he wagers in FJ on Monday.

Katrina's wager on the first DD in DJ was almost as bad as the last one.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:01 pm

50R + FJ. Pondered ?German Constitution? Nah... French? Canadian? Nah... hmmm; "replaced 'a more perfect union'..." hohoho of course they wanted a change to the change! :o

LT: lead pipe cinch (pretty sure that's been on at least 3x now!); 1851 novel; 'it isn't fair, it isn't right' > The Lottery; no get on Adler Planetarium OW! NHO One Republic, meh. :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

sarisson

Post by sarisson » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 pm

It's almost a rule that if I have a strong game from the fourth, I miss Final, and today was no exception. I knew it couldn't be the Articles of Confederation (since the category was 19th Century Documents) so I figured the Gettysburg Address- while a speech- was still a document, because it wasn't impromptu. And I considered the Confederate Constitution, but thought that might be too obscure! Four score and seven bad coin flips ago....
"In medias res" was overvalued at $2000. It's how many stories are organized.
I can't say anything about the contestants' strategies that hasn't already been said.
In for a second lap

mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:00 pm

When the FJ clue came up I thought the category was 18th Century and I had just written it down wrong. Then suddenly was sure it was written right and managed to guess the Confederate Constitution just in the nick of time. Never did feel at ease about it until the reveal, though.

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Was it a coin toss between Ranier and St. Helens, or are we supposed to know that?

I pre-called "cc" for cubic centimeter, then blanked when they wanted "cubic" instead. :)

Very embarrassed not to recognize Venus. My hero Sagan would not be pleased.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:10 pm

SlickRick87 wrote:My thinking on FJ was that it must be the Constitution that the Confederate States wrote up, but I wasn't sure it was called simply the "Confederate Constitution."
My first thought was the constitution of Liberia. But that seemed pretty obscure so I kept thinking. I ended up in the right place, assuming they would have accepted "Constitution of the Confederacy". Like you, I didn't know if it had a formal name.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:I ended a bad week of FJ!, but thankfully not an 0fer, by guessing the constitution of Liberia.
It just seems so plausible, doesn't it? Did you spend any time trying to think of an alternative or were you happy with your first guess?

Vowela
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vowela » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm guessing that Gordon forgot there was another daily double when he picked the $400 clue over the $1200 one. That could've been a fatal error.

I felt so stupid in FJ, guessing the Articles of Confederation, and remembering all too late that no, that was something very different. Kinda' got my Confederacy stuff mixed up :oops:.