Tuesday, March 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7262, 2016-03-22

CONTESTANTS
Claudia Stucke, a former writer and high school English teacher from Decatur, Georgia
Joshua Wennrich, a U.S. Air Force munitions officer originally from Canton, New York
Melissa Spencer, an adjunct physics intructor and stay-at-home mom from Des Moines, Iowa (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. To start today, a few words of explanation about what happened at the end of yesterday's program. When we went into Final Jeopardy!, our champion, Steve, had exactly twice as much money as Melissa, so he could not lose the game in final, but he could be tied. And he was a little worried about having to deal with a tiebreaker clue, so he risked the minimum--$1. And he was incorrect in final, and he lost by $1 to Melissa. What will happen today? A lot of excitement, we hope. Joshua and Claudia, welcome aboard. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BESTSELLERS BY PARTIAL TITLE (4/5)
MEDICAL MATTERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I SING FOR THE TREES (4/5)
THEIR MARRIED NAMES (0/0)
IT'S POTPOURRI, "C"? (5/5)
ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joshua: 9 R, 1 W
Claudia: 7 R, 0 W
Melissa: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joshua: $3,200
Claudia: $2,400
Melissa: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Claudia Stucke must be a slow learner. She graduated college at how old?

Claudia: I was 32.

Alex: And you got your master's at...?

Claudia: 54.

Alex: Yeah, but I don't want to know about that. I want to know about that you're not a stranger to this kind of competition.

Claudia: No, I'm afraid not.

Alex: Yeah, you were in the college bowl, and you hurt your team.

Claudia: Single-handedly lost the tournament. Agnes Scott was playing Emory, which happens to be my husband's alma mater.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Claudia: And he wasn't playing, fortunately. But a very good team was. We were in for the championship. We were down to the last question. And in college bowl, you can ring in ahead of time. You don't have to wait for the question to finish. And you really do have to because people are very quick on the buzzer. The question contained the information "the composer born in 1685." Well, it could have been two people--one of two people.

Alex: George Gershwin?

Claudia: Oh, yes, of course.

[Alex laughs.]

Claudia: No, Bach or Handel. Well, I figured Handel might be less obvious than Bach. And I buzzed in, I guessed Handel. I was wrong. So I would like to publicly apologize to Ayla, Lisa, Kathy, and Beth. I am so sorry I cost you the championship.

Alex: Well, it's about time.

Claudia: It's about time.

Alex: It's about time. Well, we have no more time now for the other contestants with that.

Claudia: I'm sorry.

Alex: Joshua, you're a marathoner.

Joshua: I am.

Alex: What's the most exotic place in which you've run a marathon?

Joshua: Marrakesh, Morocco.

Alex: Did you win?

Joshua: I did not win. I just, uh, I had a really good time doing, uh, the 26 miles through orange groves and, uh, seeing some camels.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Melissa Spencer is our champion. Played softball as a kid and had a particular number--the number of your hero who played for a Chicago team?

Melissa: The Chicago Cubs. That's right. I wore number 23 'cause I played second base, just like Ryne Sandberg.

Alex: Ryne Sandberg.

Melissa: Yeah, who just joined the organization again, so we're really excited.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Melissa found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Melissa had $2,800, Joshua had $3,600, and Claudia was at $3,400. Melissa wagered $1,000.

MEDICAL MATTERS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents.) Here is blood clotting normally at a wound site; here is blood that is missing or has low levels of clotting factor 8, meaning the person has the "A" type of this disease
(Melissa: What is...?)
(Alex: Say something.)
(Melissa: What is anemia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BESTSELLERS BY PARTIAL TITLE $1000: Mary Karr joined this "Club"

I SING FOR THE TREES $800: Radiohead went melancholy with their hit about "fake" these trees

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $800: (Mishael Morgan and Bryton James give the clue as Hilary and Devon from The Young and the Restless.) "Devon, please! You're like a teenage boy, we have the whole night to ourselves"
"I know, Hilary. I'm sorry. It's just that my passion for you, sometimes it's so overwhelming, so undeniable. It's this adjective, from the Latin for 'devour'"
(Joshua: What is ravenous?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joshua: $4,400
Claudia: $3,400
Melissa: $1,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FOLLOW THE LEADER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE! (3/5)
HOT POTATO (5/5)
CAPTURE THE FLAG (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"TAG", YOU'RE IT (3/5)
NO MORE GAMES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Melissa: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: 7 R, 1 W
Joshua: 8 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Melissa snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Melissa had $2,200, Joshua had $4,400, and Claudia was at $4,200. Melissa wagered $1,500.

CAPTURE THE FLAG $800: The flag of this Asian democracy depicts a yin-yang symbol in its center

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Melissa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Melissa had $7,700, Joshua had $5,200, and Claudia was at $4,200. Melissa wagered $2,000.

FOLLOW THE LEADER $2000: As monarch: James IV, James V, her
(Melissa: Who is Victoria?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"TAG", YOU'RE IT $1200: From the Italian for "to cut", it's pasta cut into long, flat strips
(Joshua: What is fettuccine?)
(Melissa: What is linguini?)

DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE! $1200: The bar-headed goose's migration includes flying over this mountain range at altitudes exceeding 23,000'
(Joshua: What is Titicaca?)

CAPTURE THE FLAG $1600: 2 sprigs of sagebrush, the state flower, surround a single star on this state's blue flag
(Claudia: What is Texas?)

"TAG", YOU'RE IT $1600: It's the lower house in the German legislative system
(Joshua: What is the Reichstag?)

DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE! $400: It's the alliterative bird doing its thing here
(Joshua: What is a...?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Melissa: $10,500
Claudia: $9,800
Joshua: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC CHILDREN'S BOOK CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Melissa: Wager $9,101 to cover Claudia.
Claudia: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Joshua, hoping that you give the correct response and Melissa doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,801 to cover Joshua's doubled score, but no more than $8,400 if you want to top Melissa on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $999 and win if both Melissa and Joshua miss Final.
Joshua: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Claudia while still beating Melissa and Claudia on the Triple Stumper (should Melissa wager to cover Claudia's doubled score and Claudia wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this character who lives in a forest is a shortening of an Italian word for a newborn

FINAL SCORES
Joshua: $8,800 - $8,000 = $800 (Who is Winnie the Pooh) (3rd place)
Claudia: $9,800 + $9,000 = $18,800 (Who is Bambi?) (New champion: $18,800)
Melissa: $10,500 - $8,101 = $2,399 (Who is Gretel?) (2nd place)
(Alex: First, it helps if you know the Italian word for a newborn.)

(Alex: [After revealing Claudia's response] The Italian word is "bambino.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Melissa: $12,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Claudia: $9,800, 14 R, 1 W
Joshua: $8,800, 17 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Joshua: 17/58 = .293
Claudia: 15/58 = .259
Melissa: 14/61 = .230
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $200: (Gina Tognoni gives the clue as Phyllis from The Young and the Restless.) I will never forgive Sharon for pushing me down those stairs; no matter what she claims, it wasn't this adjective, like the tourist in the title of an Anne Tyler bestseller

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $400: (Peter Bergman gives the clue as Jack from The Young and the Restless.) Being a business mogul, patriarch & all around good guy isn't as easy as it seems, with rivals like Victor Newman, sometimes I want to be angry, bloodthirsty, amoral & this adjective, kind of like a Bible missing the book named for a wife of Boaz

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $600: (Justin Hartley and Christian LeBlanc give the clue as Adam and Michael from The Young and the Restless.) "I can represent myself, Michael; I'm going to tell the whole truth on the witness stand no matter what"
"Listen, Adam, I've been on both sides of those prison bars; if you want to avoid years in jail, you'll be this adjective used in the name of a less vocal swan"

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $1000: (Eric Braeden and Melody Thomas Scott give the clue as Victor and Nikki from The Young and the Restless.) "You expect me to believe you? Give you yet another chance? Are you serious?"
"I mean it this time, Victor; I'm off the booze for good. From this day forward I will be these 2 adjectives in the title of a 1988 Michael Keaton film"
(Alex: And I want to thank the members of The Young and the Restless cast. We tried to include as many of your favorites as possible.)

MEDICAL MATTERS $800: A tick-transmitted infection, it gets its name from a Connecticut town
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

MEDICAL MATTERS $200: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is in the same disease family as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, aka this
[The end-of-round-signal sounds.]

CAPTURE THE FLAG $1200: This nation covers 130,000 square miles of Nordic Europe

CAPTURE THE FLAG $2000: Symbols on the flag of this country come from a flag flown during resistance to French colonialism

NO MORE GAMES $1200: He was 52 on April 11, 1980 when he played his last NHL game
(Alex: [*]. My hero.)

NO MORE GAMES $2000: It was the 4th of October, 1987, so of course this A's, Angels & Yankees star went 2 for 3 with a hit in his final at-bat
(Alex: Mr. October. Right.)

HOT POTATO $800: Shepherd's pie has a traditional crust of this on top
(Claudia: What are potatoes?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Claudia: [*], piped around--)

HOT POTATO $2000: Yee-ha! I've struck it rich with these potatoes that were developed in Canada and are perfect for boiling

CORRECT RESPONSES
hemophilia
The Liars' Club
plastic trees
voracious
South Korea
Mary, Queen of Scots (Mary Stuart)
tagliatelle
the Himalayas
Nevada
Bundestag
diving duck
Bambi
accidental
ruthless
mute
clean and sober
Lyme disease
mad cow disease
Finland
Algeria
Gordie Howe
Reggie Jackson
whipped potatoes
Yukon gold

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC CHILDREN'S BOOK CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this character who lives in a forest is a shortening of an Italian word for a newborn

Melissa Spencer: 10500-8101=2399
Joshua Wennrich: 8800-8000=800
Claudia Stucke: 9800+9000=18800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Bambi (Joshua - Winnie the Pooh) (Melissa - Gretel)
Daily Doubles
Melissa: 2800-1000 & 2200+1500 & 7700-2000

Coryats
Melissa: 12800
Joshua: 8800
Claudia: 9800

Combined: 31,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Was today the first time that they've mentioned the tiebreaker rule change on the TV show?

38R/5W for a $30k Coryat, including the triple stumper of "Voracious". Had no clue at all on FJ. On that top-row Triple Stumper late in DJ!, I was thinking, "It couldn't be diving duck, could it?"

Just rewatched the FJ! reveals and realized that that would have been a heartbreaking mathematical error (I assume) if Melissa had gotten it right.

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Jeopardy! on WABC pre-empted for ABC News special report on Brussels. It will air tonight at 2:05 am.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:07 pm

jpr281 wrote:Jeopardy! on WABC pre-empted for ABC News special report on Brussels. It will air tonight at 2:05 am.
Yeah, I just saw that. Bummer.

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:12 pm

econgator wrote:
jpr281 wrote:Jeopardy! on WABC pre-empted for ABC News special report on Brussels. It will air tonight at 2:05 am.
Yeah, I just saw that. Bummer.
I'm in the northern burbs of NY and am watching it on a CT ABC channel, which is not pre-empted.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Pre-empted here as well. No pre-emption last week for attacks in Ankara, Cote I'voire etc.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Congrats to Claudia on her win. I had 44 correct responses including these triple stumpers: The Liars' Club, plastic trees, the Himalayas, Nevada, Bundestag, and diving duck. I also got the missed DD of hemophilia, and I got FJ.

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 pm

I got the FJ from the Italian. Not sure I ever knew that the movie was adapted from a book.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:57 pm

I am already looking forward to a five minute interview segment about the third grade spelling bee finals tomorrow.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 pm

I tried to think of an Italian children's book character and the only one that came to mind was Pinnochio. But that isn't a shortened name and he didn't like in a forest. Well, he used to live in a forest because he used to be a tree, but I digress.

Being a baseball fan is what got it for me when I remembered another nickname for Babe Ruth was the Bambino, so I was able to get Bambi from there. With Melissa's story about liking baseball, I thought she might get it.

Not a good night for Keith. In his latest Alpaca Farm quiz, he said he wrote it last night in a bar. He'll probably be heading there after seeing these wagers.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:10 pm

While Alex did mention the tie-breaker, he didn't specifically say it was a new rule. If I didn't read these boards or the J! web site, I'd probably still be confused.

Amoy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Amoy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi,
New to board. Sounds like it's gonna be fun.
I wish I could see tonight's show again. That duck looked more like a dabbling duck than a diving duck, but I was reading and only looked up at the last second.
Dabbler or diver?

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 pm

J not preempted, but it is during NCAA games :evil:

Was that the longest interview ever? Throw-in a video category, I am shocked that only one whole category was not revealed.

Today's game addressed any doubts about Melissa's wager in yesterday's game.

The FJ category is as dreaded as "pop music/ no.1 hits etc", random answer from me hit the mark and will gladly take it :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

DBear

Post by DBear » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Italian for newborn gave me the FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:28 pm

"Wait, where the hell is there a Boaz in the Bible?! Ah, one of the books we never read."

Well, thanks to that stupid Y&R category, we left an entire category on the board. Freakin' yay.

Flags always strikes me as a YEKIOYD category whenever it comes up.

I knew "mallard" but blanked on it. Guess the problem there was that I actually know more than one species of duck and couldn't wade my way to the most obvious one.

I think "diving duck" was a TS because no one thought to just add "duck" to make it alliterative due to "duck" already being in the category. Easy mental trap there, and IMO a rather inelegant clue.

Potatoes can be whipped?! Devo never told me that!

"Well, that sounds like scalloped potatoes, but there's no mollusk in 'scalloped'!" Derp.

Character who lives in the woods. Um, Winnie the Pooh? No. Wait, newborn... baby... bam... bambino... that sounds right because of Gesu Bambino... Bambi. Took me about 25 seconds but I got it. I think the "gnocchi" clue was enough to prime the pump on what little Italian I do know, otherwise I think I'd have been stumped.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:51 pm

SlickRick87 wrote:Was today the first time that they've mentioned the tiebreaker rule change on the TV show?
Yep. And Alex talks about it casually like everyone knows about it and it's always been the rule. At least he did it though. Otherwise everyone would think Steve was a grade A chump for betting that buck.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 pm

TPH... <FacEPalm> Boaz...>Ruth...less. Pavlov. Earl Grey back again; NHO Tagliatelle::"to cut"; apparently resembles fettucine,

47R instaFJ Bambino ooh lala Baby. Lotta trash; Radiohead: Fake Plastic; voracious; hemophilia; NV .Sagebrush state; Bundestag; "Diving Duck"! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!