Monday, March 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Monday, March 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

DefCon4 wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Now that I look it up, it appears Fossey is known for gorillas and Goodall is known for chimpanzees?
Yes, and Birute Galdikas for orangutans completed the "Trimates."
Yep little known factoid, these girls were AKA Leakey's Angels; Birute has NEVER YET been asked on J! clue! PRECALL!! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When he hit the last DD, the scores were as follows:

Doug: $9,600
Ken: $9,400
Erin: $16,400

The DD was under Swamped for $1,600. He had already gotten the first two clues played correct in the category. (Though White Nile was probably a lucky rebound).

There were eight clues remaining. Left on the board was $800 and $2,000 in Swamped, the $2,000 in the 1880s. and the entire Chicago TV category. He bet $3,000. They avoided the TV category to the end. He did get two right in that category, but they were on old shows and he (and the others) didn't know two on shows currently on the air. So he probably wasn't 100% comfortable with that category. Missing the DD bet drops him to $6,600. Not completely out of it, but taking the lead would have been close to impossible.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

What lady worked with chimps in the 60s?

What is this India-shaped country?

Honestly.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Tarzan (5), First (3), Brown (1), Online (2), Rep (2), GOP (2)
Women (3), Question (3), Chicago (2), 1880's (3), Swamp (2), "U" (4)

Lach Trash: North Carolina, Mike & Molly

I said polyester for FJ instead.
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

Bamaman wrote:When he hit the last DD, the scores were as follows:

Doug: $9,600
Ken: $9,400
Erin: $16,400

The DD was under Swamped for $1,600. He had already gotten the first two clues played correct in the category. (Though White Nile was probably a lucky rebound).

There were eight clues remaining. Left on the board was $800 and $2,000 in Swamped, the $2,000 in the 1880s. and the entire Chicago TV category. He bet $3,000. They avoided the TV category to the end. He did get two right in that category, but they were on old shows and he (and the others) didn't know two on shows currently on the air. So he probably wasn't 100% comfortable with that category. Missing the DD bet drops him to $6,600. Not completely out of it, but taking the lead would have been close to impossible.
Ah, I see. I hadn't internalized just how much of a lead Erin had at that point.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

grindcore wrote:What is this India-shaped country?
"What are India and... uh... uh... crap."
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
grindcore wrote:What is this India-shaped country?
"What are India and... uh... uh... crap."
TBF, I omitted Bangladesh from my post to make my snark a little snappier, but for a DJ DD, identifying Bangladesh on a map is hardly a lot more difficult than identifying India.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

ron wrote:Surprised they accepted Doug's answer of "nuclear reaction... nuclear explosion." It wasn't the first demonstration of a nuclear reaction and it wasn't an explosion. The correct answer is nuclear chain reaction.
I agree with this, although I think it's better described as the first controlled nuclear chain reaction.

I worked through three options for FJ!: nylon, Kevlar and Teflon. I picked the right one due to the year, but I was nearly thrown off by the "strong as steel" claim. I didn't think there's a nylon half as strong as steel, and looking at a couple of tables on the net, it appears that there is not.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said atomic explosion for that clue. Judges?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

OrangeSAM wrote: I worked through three options for FJ!: nylon, Kevlar and Teflon. I picked the right one due to the year, but I was nearly thrown off by the "strong as steel" claim. I didn't think there's a nylon half as strong as steel, and looking at a couple of tables on the net, it appears that there is not.
Advertising puff.

Nylon was an insta-guess for me, based on the date: one of the stereotypes of American GIs based in the UK during WWII is that they could charm local girls by offering them "nylons" - which had not yet made it across the Atlantic through conventional means.
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

You guys are a tough crowd!

I regret missing the Moveable Feast question more than my DD wager, but I certainly could've gone bigger with it. I also don't think Bangladesh is as easily identifiable as the second country as some of you are making it out to be, but it's a part of the map I studied as I was working on all the changes in central and south Asia. I've had to do a lot of relearning--the map today is very different from the map I grew up with.

And, yes, Fossey = Gorillas, Goodall = Chimps, and Goodall actually spoke here within the last year, so I was clear on that one. :D

Congrats to Erin on a well-deserved win! She's sharp and fast and could go on a run and I'm thrilled for her.
Similar minds think alike.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Today I learned the actual meaning of Moveable Feast.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J!6 for WAYS TO REACH FIRST BASE was a single, so what goes with BB, HBP, FC, or E2 for the $200 box? I'm guessing it was some kind of infield error since it would not be fair to the catcher to blame that position a second time for dropping a third strike.

Erin knew The Night Stalker, so I'm glad that old favorite did not stump the panel.

Doug: Do you have any crossword puzzles you constructed that can be found with an easy link or a date in the NYT archives?

+5400 on both DJ! round Daily Doubles, yet still trailing by $3000? It was Dr. Lee in the O.J. trial that said, "Something wrong."

For the FJ! clue nylon went on my paper with instant hesitation. During think time I considered other possibilities that ended with "-on" or an "-ester" while shrugging that nylon seemed to add up properly. A get's a get. I'll take it.
davey

Post by davey »

OrangeSAM wrote: I worked through three options for FJ!: nylon, Kevlar and Teflon. I picked the right one due to the year, but I was nearly thrown off by the "strong as steel" claim. I didn't think there's a nylon half as strong as steel, and looking at a couple of tables on the net, it appears that there is not.
That's the main reason I didn't think of nylon. I don't consider it such a strong fabric. The date should have led there, I suppose, but instead I spent the :30 trying to remember the word Kevlar... :oops:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

A Moveable Feast is the title of one of Hemingway's posthumous books so that was tough to see it missed. Really easy game today including FJ. I missed the last 2 episodes due to basketball so it was nice to see it again.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

zakharov wrote:Today I learned the actual meaning of Moveable Feast.
Ditto. 'Til now, I'd thought the phrase referred to something moveable in space, not time.
OCSam
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The nuclear chain reaction clue got me thinking of fission, which I later used as an incorrect response for the mitosis clue when I remembered reading that nuclear fission was named by analogy to biological fission.
Last edited by cosmos on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:The J!6 for WAYS TO REACH FIRST BASE was a single, so what goes with BB, HBP, FC, or E2 for the $200 box? I'm guessing it was some kind of infield error since it would not be fair to the catcher to blame that position a second time for dropping a third strike....
It isn't always the catcher's fault on strike three. Sometimes it's a WP. Anyway, that's not top box material.
OCSam
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The J!6 for WAYS TO REACH FIRST BASE was a single, so what goes with BB, HBP, FC, or E2 for the $200 box? I'm guessing it was some kind of infield error since it would not be fair to the catcher to blame that position a second time for dropping a third strike.

Erin knew The Night Stalker, so I'm glad that old favorite did not stump the panel.

Doug: Do you have any crossword puzzles you constructed that can be found with an easy link or a date in the NYT archives?

+5400 on both DJ! round Daily Doubles, yet still trailing by $3000? It was Dr. Lee in the O.J. trial that said, "Something wrong."

For the FJ! clue nylon went on my paper with instant hesitation. During think time I considered other possibilities that ended with "-on" or an "-ester" while shrugging that nylon seemed to add up properly. A get's a get. I'll take it.
Mark--Most of my crossword construction was done quite a while ago. If you google Douglas Behrend Crossword, a link to a Simon & Schuster collection comes up with one of my puzzles in it. Mel Rosen at Running Press edited most of my published puzzles and those are not available online, and I never got one into the Times.

Still nearly 11K on the board after my Daily Double so at the moment under the lights I thought it was too early for the huge wager, but I did later regret not going bigger. Still, if I had buzzed in first on the the last clue of the round (Night Stalker), I would've had the lead.
Similar minds think alike.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Like Alex, I hope he never has to read another category as Tarzan, but probably for a different reason: I can only stand to hear Alex's pronunciation of "Tarzan" (with a schwa in the second syllable) once per game.