Finally. Unbelievably Epic.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Finally. Unbelievably Epic.

Post by koozbane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:54 am

After trying to get on Jeopardy for 18 years and 6 in-person auditions, I finally got The Call. My episode airs April 5th.
For those of you who have been at it for a while, stick with it; Ya never know!

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Finally. Unbelievably Epic.

Post by triviawayne » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Retro luck and never give up!

How many in person auditions in the online era?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 pm

4 in-persons during the online era. The first two were "send in a postcard" and then there would be 200+ people there instead of the 25-30 now.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Congratulations, koozbane! I'm so happy you got the chance to strut your stuff after all your dedication.

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:26 pm

koozbane wrote:After trying to get on Jeopardy for 18 years and 6 in-person auditions, I finally got The Call. My episode airs April 5th.
Hey! I know you! My episode airs April 8.

Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for the post! You give us all hope. I've had 2 auditions, and keeping my fingers crossed that I get a third.
Retro good luck. Looking forward to seeing your episode.

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Retroluck to Koozbane and SlickRick.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:19 pm

+1 for perseverance, koozbane! I guess I was luckier than I thought when I got The Call after just one in-person audition. I did my taping(s) last week, and lemme tell you... it was awesome! You're gonna love it, no matter how your game(s) turn out. Maggie, Corina, Aimee, Glenn and the rest who work behind the scenes do a FANTASTIC job of making you feel at ease and ready to play. When I was on stage, it almost felt like I was playing at home, in that I was focused on reading the clues and listening to Alex's voice, just like I would do in front of my living room.

Also, when you're there, try and get email addresses and/or contact info from every other person in your group. That way, when you return from your trip, you can swap stories and try to remember as much as you can, and in hearing others tell their stories, it'll very likely make you remember something you'd have totally forgotten otherwise.

Enjoy the crazy ride!
Last edited by goroshnik on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Whooo hoooo!!! Congratulations and retro good luck!

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:19 pm

How exciting! It seems like there have been lots of boardies to root for lately. (Never enough!)

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Retro good luck! You're an inspiration to us all.

DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 pm

koozbane wrote:After trying to get on Jeopardy for 18 years and 6 in-person auditions, I finally got The Call. My episode airs April 5th.
Talk about tenacity! That's great!

NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Awesome and congrats!
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:12 am

I won this shirt at my first Jeopardy tryout, 18 years ago. I’ve never worn it before. I stored it away in a zip-lock bag and said, “I’m not putting it on until I get on the show.” Here it is for the first time. “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:16 am

koozbane wrote:I won this shirt at my first Jeopardy tryout, 18 years ago. I’ve never worn it before. I stored it away in a zip-lock bag and said, “I’m not putting it on until I get on the show.” Here it is for the first time. “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1)

And it still fits! For me that's far less likely to happen than getting The Call!

(When I went to my (very first) audition this summer I brought both my favourite suit and my tux that I got when I got married 15 (at the time) years ago. The tux did not fit anymore in the least which is why I'm wearing a suit in my avatar.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:21 am

dhkendall wrote:
koozbane wrote:I won this shirt at my first Jeopardy tryout, 18 years ago. I’ve never worn it before. I stored it away in a zip-lock bag and said, “I’m not putting it on until I get on the show.” Here it is for the first time. “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1)

And it still fits! For me that's far less likely to happen than getting The Call!

(When I went to my (very first) audition this summer I brought both my favourite suit and my tux that I got when I got married 15 (at the time) years ago. The tux did not fit anymore in the least which is why I'm wearing a suit in my avatar.)
Funny you should mention this. I had just lost 80 lbs in the 8 months since my audition. From 275 to 195. I had to buy all new clothes to take to the taping! I shrank out of everything I owned!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 am

I like spotting the EW in the photo. You got the Cersei cover. I got the Arya one. Congrats on finally getting the The Call.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 am

EXCELLENT! TRULY EXCELLENT!

I admire your stick-to-it-iveness and offer up my heartfelt congratulations.

I don't have a T-shirt, but I do have a J! cap that I brought home from one of my, um, several :roll: auditions. I never made any promise the way you did with your shirt, but the only times I've ever worn it were sitting at the computer taking the online quiz.

Everything about your report gives me hope: 18 years, multiple auditions, invited back multiple times in the online era, etc. Thanks for sharing, and retro good luck. I'll be watching your pluralgames (!) eagerly.

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:52 am

MarkBarrett wrote:I like spotting the EW in the photo. You got the Cersei cover. I got the Arya one. Congrats on finally getting the The Call.
You're goona laugh at this--my wife and I went the first 20 years of our marriage with no TV. All that time I subscribed to EW to stay up on pop culture in case I got "The Call." I kept it by the toilet and read it during my morning "business meetings." The only reason it's not by the toilet in this picture, I was getting over a back injury and was couch-bound for three days. Had it by the couch for something to do!

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 am

John Boy wrote:EXCELLENT! TRULY EXCELLENT!

I admire your stick-to-it-iveness and offer up my heartfelt congratulations.

I don't have a T-shirt, but I do have a J! cap that I brought home from one of my, um, several :roll: auditions. I never made any promise the way you did with your shirt, but the only times I've ever worn it were sitting at the computer taking the online quiz.

Everything about your report gives me hope: 18 years, multiple auditions, invited back multiple times in the online era, etc. Thanks for sharing, and retro good luck. I'll be watching your pluralgames (!) eagerly.
Thanks for the encouragement! I think I must have the record for "Jeopardy Bling" garnered from auditions. I have a tote bag, 2 baseball hats, the t-shirt, water bottle, ear buds, key chain, pens and pencils I won/obtained at my 6 auditions!