LL68 Mini-Leagues and One-Days

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: LL68 Mini-Leagues and One-Days

Post by nightreign »

hbomb1947 wrote:I enjoyed the Crusades 1DS. I finished in the 91st percentile in it, which is my best-ever performance in a 1DS. Of course, in an august herd of LLamas, it was only good enough for a 61st-place tie. But I'll take it. Still, I can only think of what might have been. Embarrassingly, while correctly answering 10 of the 12 questions, I missed the second-easiest (Constantinople), which had an 87% get rate. I overthought that one and guessed "Acre," which is another city in Turkey that played an important role in the Crusades.

I also never would have imagined that I would have gotten 23 more points if I'd moneyed sugar instead of the True Cross. I thought the sugar question was really easy (with the "sweet" TOM, WECIB?), and I never would have guessed that the True Cross one would have an 83% get rate. Admittedly, the hint about shipbuilding in the True Cross question probably gave that one away. I also expected the Saladin question to play easier than it did; in retrospect, that one would have also been a much better moneying choice than the True Cross.

Oh, and studying pays off for 1DS's! No fewer than 3 of my gets in this one (Albigensians, Battle on the Ice, and Mamluks) were tidbits I'd learned the previous evening while reading the Wikipedia article on the Crusades. And those were the 3 questions that, by a wide margin, played the most difficult.
I tested that One-Day, and I actually told the smith that I thought the sugar question was too easy. Guess not.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

nightreign wrote:I tested that One-Day, and I actually told the smith that I thought the sugar question was too easy. Guess not.
I missed it (said pepper) but got Battle of/on the Ice, so go figure.

The quote "Kill them all – God will recognize his own" is one I love to pull out whenever appropriate. (That is rare, unfortunately)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It says something about me (or perhaps more about LLamas) that I did better, percentile-wise, on the Sex Pistols 1DS (4 correct!) than I did on the Crusades 1DS (9 correct). My costly miss on Saladin with Suleiman the Magnificent was partly responsible for that outcome, as was my lack of conviction in my answer of Cathars leading to not moneying it (shout out to Name of the Rose for that one).
Last edited by Woof on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

nightreign wrote: I tested that One-Day, and I actually told the smith that I thought the sugar question was too easy. Guess not.
I had my TPH moment when I thought "there is no way it can be sugar, that's too easy" and left it blank. So, I guess it was too easy for me. I had a similar thought (without the leaving blank part) about the sacking of Constantinople.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote:It says something about me (or perhaps more about LLamas) that I did better, percentile-wise, on the Sex Pistols 1DS (4 correct!) than I did on the Crusades 1DS (9 correct). ... Gratz to Schlie on the Sex Pistols victory.
That's not schliemann; he's MeyerT. Don't know who MyersT is, but they sure know their Pistols. I finished in 66th with just four right (three $), largely from having just seen a D.A. Pennebaker documentary, which I hadn't known existed, about Bowie's Hammersmith Odeon show in 1973.

Aria, best of luck in group 30. With three A and five B rundlers, it's gonna play rough. KreitzerJ is my pick to win it, but after that who knows?
In and out of the pool four times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote:
Woof wrote:It says something about me (or perhaps more about LLamas) that I did better, percentile-wise, on the Sex Pistols 1DS (4 correct!) than I did on the Crusades 1DS (9 correct). ... Gratz to Schlie on the Sex Pistols victory.
That's not schliemann; he's MeyerT. Don't know who MyersT is, but they sure know their Pistols. I finished in 66th with just four right (three $), largely from having just seen a D.A. Pennebaker documentary, which I hadn't known existed, about Bowie's Hammersmith Odeon show in 1973.

Aria, best of luck in group 30. With three A and five B rundlers, it's gonna play rough. KreitzerJ is my pick to win it, but after that who knows?
Oops, right you are, Bill. I've done that before with the two of them.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I have never heard of sugar, so that was a big YEKIOYD. I put cocaine.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

All the previews of Humanities 4 as well as the previous Humanites MLs convinced me I didn't stand a chance, but now I'm really feeling like I should have signed up. If anything, it's because those questions from MD1 were incredibly entertaining. Remind me never to miss anything that Hicks smiths ever again.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Yesterday in Humanities, I was so proud to have gotten 3 right...only to wake up and find that my opponent defended me perfectly and I really shouldn't have put that 2 on Mozart.

It hurts worse given that of the 11 other people in my group, I was playing one of two that only got two right.

I did puzzle out the letters question though, so I'll just continue being proud of that.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

mpahu wrote:All the previews of Humanities 4 as well as the previous Humanites MLs convinced me I didn't stand a chance, but now I'm really feeling like I should have signed up. If anything, it's because those questions from MD1 were incredibly entertaining. Remind me never to miss anything that Hicks smiths ever again.
Me too. 4/6 on MD1 without thinking very hard. Sigh.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

In Group 90 for Humanities. Figuring out the Jane Austen sequence was one of the most satisfying lightbulb moments I've had so far in LL. Hope all the days are as fun and interesting (and for me, successful) as the first one.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Group 76 for me. I think I'm with TomKBaltimoreBoy.

A 5(3)-0(1) win is my kind of start to a ML. That El Greco question was very cleverly written. So was the Austen one, I just didn't get it right. :P

Had this been the regular season, I might have gone for a BWA on Q5 with "Andy."
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Felt decent about the Humanities ML, then realized who was in my pool . . . Brad Rutter & Dan Melia . . . *sigh*
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I managed a 0(1)-0(0) tie in Humanities Day 1 yesterday, getting Lazarus correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My first of many 1(2)-9(6) losses, I'm sure.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

quarterrican wrote:In Group 90 for Humanities. Figuring out the Jane Austen sequence was one of the most satisfying lightbulb moments I've had so far in LL. Hope all the days are as fun and interesting (and for me, successful) as the first one.
Yes! I was pretty darn proud of myself for figuring out The Austen Code.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I hate when I know the answer but type the wrong thing, and don't notice until the next day when I wonder why I got the question wrong.

That is to say, I knew it was "Macbeth", but typed "Hamlet" instead. Still won the day, though, thanks to defense. Today I play Jordan / heelsrule.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:That is to say, I knew it was "Macbeth", but typed "Hamlet" instead.
I don't feel so bad now.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

ElendilPickle wrote:
quarterrican wrote:In Group 90 for Humanities. Figuring out the Jane Austen sequence was one of the most satisfying lightbulb moments I've had so far in LL. Hope all the days are as fun and interesting (and for me, successful) as the first one.
Yes! I was pretty darn proud of myself for figuring out The Austen Code.
The best questions (like the Austen one) are the ones you figure out two hours later and your kneejerk reaction is to yell "aw, f***" loudly
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

My group is the supreme Group of Death. We tied for the highest Q% yesterday and the second-highest on Thursday. And that's with my, er, lack of knowledge of the humanities there to bring the group's percentage down. I somehow managed a Buckner tie yesterday, and that's probably the closest to a win I'm going to get.

I'm enjoying the questions, though! This is fun.

(By the way, what did people guess for that Japanese question? I guessed "The Tale of Genji.")