Friday, April 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:I wonder if anyone can pinpoint the exact episode the Mambo Kings clip is from.
That sounds like my kind of job and I verified from my tape.

It's from this game in CINE DE BANDERAS for $500: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1907

Alex says, "The movie was The Mambo Kings."

The J! site has put together all 10 stunts in one place: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... -10-tricks
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

thenextofken wrote:One gag no one has noticed (I think): In the show's opening, they showed Alex coming out in his boxers, a scene from the UTOC.
I am pretty sure at least one person has pointed that out.... I can't quite remember who.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote:I spent think time trying to decide if Indonesia was technically in Asia or not, guessed it wasn't and went away from Jakarta to Singapore.
Despite having at least 15 brain cells left, I did manage to miss FJ. In my favor, however, I DID pick a city that is in Asia, not Australia.

Seriously, the champ has looked pretty strong in 4 wins, but that FJ answer of his had me shaking my head.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I wonder if anyone can pinpoint the exact episode the Mambo Kings clip is from.

It's from this game in CINE DE BANDERAS for $500: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1907

Likewise, Ken Jennings saying "What is turquoise?" is from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2699 , WHAT A GEM! for $800. Someone could probably work out where Watson's "$1,000, same category" is from, but it won't be me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:

That game also serves as a cautionary FJ wagering tale.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

First thought was Singapore, switched to Jakarta about 10 seconds later.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Watson selection is after DIALING FOR DIALECTS $800: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3577

The clip shows Watson with $800 and Brad in the red, so only that instance of Watson selecting $1000 in the same category fits from either game.
cherrypork
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cherrypork »

Todd here. What a fun game that was to watch! We knew it had an April 1 air date, so I was expecting something, but the game was taped normally. Yes, I know Sydney is not in Asia, but brain fart. Somehow I was only thinking about island cities below the equator and lost the Asian part. Oh well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cherrypork wrote:Todd here. What a fun game that was to watch! We knew it had an April 1 air date, so I was expecting something, but the game was taped normally. Yes, I know Sydney is not in Asia, but brain fart. Somehow I was only thinking about island cities below the equator and lost the Asian part. Oh well.
Congrats on doing so well. I figured Sydney had to be one of those moments under the lights, at least it was a lock game so you still won. Retro good luck in becoming a five timer Monday.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I uploaded the game if anyone wants to see it again or catch Milton's dancing pecs.

https://vimeo.com/161313178
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:What I was not able to do was get to Broad City in time as I had to dismiss both Broadchurch and Broad Street that popped in first.
Todd Alan Crain would be disappointed in you.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

cherrypork wrote:Todd here. What a fun game that was to watch! We knew it had an April 1 air date, so I was expecting something, but the game was taped normally. Yes, I know Sydney is not in Asia, but brain fart. Somehow I was only thinking about island cities below the equator and lost the Asian part. Oh well.
Welcome and congratulations!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:What I was not able to do was get to Broad City in time as I had to dismiss both Broadchurch and Broad Street that popped in first.
Todd Alan Crain would be disappointed in you.
I'm really glad he turned me on to that show. It's hysterical.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Wasn't there some famous contestant who was also a hotel front desk clerk in New Orleans? Maybe Jeopardy! should have a tryout of just hotel front desk clerks from New Orleans (kidding, of course).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Wasn't there some famous contestant who was also a hotel front desk clerk in New Orleans? Maybe Jeopardy! should have a tryout of just hotel front desk clerks from New Orleans (kidding, of course).
It would almost certainly turn out better that a tryout of just self-proclaimed gadabouts from Lakeland, Florida.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Wasn't there some famous contestant who was also a hotel front desk clerk in New Orleans? Maybe Jeopardy! should have a tryout of just hotel front desk clerks from New Orleans (kidding, of course).
Sounds like James Arey to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Sounds like James Arey to me.
James Arey had a memorable moment on J!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApE_euMcyeE
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Thanks Opus for posting the game, I only got part of it but enough to see the pec "hello". I thought it was a good/fun game. I especially liked Milton's interview/monolog.
To me the interview part of the show is enjoyable especially when the host allows the guest to speak and not talk about himself, (AT that is)
Milton, if you are here, Thanks, that was comical and congrats for making it on the show and please excuse the host for his unnecessary remark, "not mortar"
earendel

Post by earendel »

In your interview on Friday you mentioned a costume you crocheted - a squid and a whale fighting. Well, my wife is part of an online knitting/crocheting community called "Ravelry" and they were abuzz with discussion about this. My wife asked me to ask you, should you happen to stop by here, if you could post a picture of that costume for the Ravelry crowd. (Unless, of course, that interview segment was an April Fools' joke.)
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cherrypork
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cherrypork »