TD 290 - 2016 Masters Tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 290 - 2016 Masters Tournament

Post by Ryno »

Welcome to TD¬290: 2016 Masters Tournament

This is Ryno's 2nd Annual Masters themed TD competition. If you want to get a better idea of how this works, look up TD-237. This year's event will run in the same manner.

This week (April 7-10) The Masters Tournament of golf will be held at the Augusta National Golf Club. This TD is in honor of The Masters. Don’t worry you need not be a fan of golf to play this TD, though knowledge about golf can certainly help. The theme is used as a framing device. Like most TDs this one should touch on a diverse array of subject matter. There should be something for everybody. That said, when it comes to the format and scoring of this TD, I set it up like a golf tournament, so see the rules and format below.

Tournament Rules
Give correct answers that match as few of the other players as possible. Just like golf, the lower your score the better. On each question you may score:
-2 = Singleton! (one player with a particular correct answer)
-1 = Doubleton (two players with the same correct answer)
+2 = SHEEP (most common correct answer)
+3 = Incorrect answer
PAR = When none of the above apply
• You may drop one question, which will score PAR. Please write “PAR”.
• Blank answers will be considered incorrect as will second drops.
• Four questions will have a bonus (“Birdie Opportunity”), in which a correct answer will score -1. There is no penalty for incorrect answers on these bonus questions.
• Minor spelling or title discrepancies are OK, I’ll be somewhat flexible.
• No external help (e.g. Google, Wikipedia).

Tournament Format:
This TD tournament is scheduled for 4 rounds (just like a golf tournament) composed of a total of 12 questions. Each round consists of 3 questions with one bonus. There is also a “Playoff Question” in case of a tie for first place. After two rounds (6 questions) there will be a CUT. That means that only the top 50% scoring players (plus ties) will continue on for rounds 3 and 4. So when it comes to scoring, I will only be considering and counting those players that made the cut for questions 7 to 12. That said, make sure that you answer all 12 questions!

Ties will be recognized, except for the winner. If there is a tie for first place then I will consider the Playoff Question, so make sure that you answer that one too. Note: there is an earlier date to be considered for this Playoff Question.

Submit your responses to me by PM. Do not post your answers on this message thread.

Due by Sunday April 10th at 11:00 PM EST.

Now on to the tournament.

ROUND ONE - (RECENT CHAMPS ROUND)

Question #1
2015 Maters champion Jordan Spieth is sometimes described as a "Boy Scout" by commentators due to his squeaky clean image and politeness with reporters. In honor of Jordan Spieth, name one of the 13 required merit badges that a Boy Scout must earn in order to attain the rank of Eagle Scout. Note: I will be somewhat flexible here, I will accept answers that basically give the basic "gist" of the official name of the merit badge. (13 possible answers)

Birdie Opportunity (bonus question): Name a corporate sponsor of a regular PGA tournament won by Jordan Spieth.

Question #2
2014 & 2012 Masters champion Bubba Watson is well-known for his pink shirts and pink driver. In honor of Bubba Watson, name a studio album by the legendary band "Pink Floyd", or a solo studio album by the singer Pink (AKA, Alecia Moore). (21 possible answers)

Question #3
2009 Masters champion Angel Cabrera is one of the great players from the nation of Argentina. In honor of Angel Cabrera, name one of the nations, other than Italy or Vatican City, that has been visited by a more famous native son, Pope Francis, from July 22, 2013 (first papal overseas visit) to February 18, 2016 (last overseas visit). (20 possible answers)

ROUND TWO - (AUGUSTA SIGHTS ROUND)

Question #4
The Green Jacket is awarded to the Champion of the Masters Tournament. In honor of The Green Jacket, name one of the standard colors of green that has been used for Crayola crayons, past or present. (27 possible answers)

Question #5
An iconic sight at Augusta National is "Magnolia Lane". The road lined with 61 magnolia trees on each side which leads to the clubhouse. Mississippi is known as the "Magnolia State". So in honor of all things magnolia, name a novel written by: William Faulkner, Eudora Welty or John Grisham. (many possible answers)

Birdie Opportunity (bonus question): OK, so Augusta National always hosts the Masters, but which golf course will host the 2016 men's U.S. Open this June?

Question #6
The Masters is held every year in Georgia. Martin Luther King, Jr. is from Georgia. So with that in mind, name one of the people (historical or contemporary) mentioned by name in Martin Luther King's famous "Letter from Birmingham Jail". (28 possible answers)

ROUND THREE - (AROUND THE COURSE ROUND)

Question #7
No bag of golf clubs would be complete without the wedges, the "pitching wedge" (PW) and the "sand wedge" (SW). In honor of these clubs, name a chemical element from the periodic table that has either the letters P, S or W as a part or whole of its atomic symbol.
(24 possible answers)

Question #8
One of the iconic sights at Augusta National was the "Eisenhower Tree", a loblolly pine at the 17th hole which became infamous because former President Dwight Eisenhower used to drive his tee shots into it on a regular basis. In honor of the Eisenhower Tree name one of the five code-named beaches of the June 6, 1944 Normandy landings (D-Day), or one of the six U.S. Army divisions that participated in these landings. (11 possible answers)

Birdie Opportunity (bonus question): In what year was the Eisenhower Tree removed from Augusta National due to extensive damage from a rainstorm?

Question #9
Another famous sight at Augusta National is the "Hogan Bridge", a footbridge over Rae's Creek which leads to the green on the 12th hole. In honor of the Hogan Bridge, name a nation which has at least one of the 50 longest suspension bridges in the world.
(12 possible answers)

ROUND FOUR - (LEGENDS ROUND)

Question #10
Legendary golfer and three-time Masters champion Gary Player is known as the "Black Knight" because of his signature all-black wardrobe. In honor of Gary Player, name a television series, special or TV-movie which has seen an appearance by another famous man in black - Johnny Cash. Note: this includes starring roles, supporting roles, guest appearances and even cartoon voice overs. To clarify, this includes a few variety shows and a documentary where Johnny Cash appears as "himself", but not talk shows (e.g. The Tonight Show)
(26 possible answers)

Birdie Opportunity (bonus question): Name a singer who has attached his or her name as a title sponsor to a PGA or LPGA tournament.

Question #11
Jack Nicklaus has won more Masters titles than anyone, six total, and has earned the nickname, the "Golden Bear". Just as William Shakespeare is considered the greatest playwright ever, many consider Jack Nicklaus the greatest golfer ever. In honor of Jack Nicklaus: a few quotes from Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice" contain the word "gold", name a word from such a quotation besides
"gold"; or give a stage direction from a Shakespeare play which has the word "bear" (need full quote). (many possible answers)

Question #12
Last but not least, four-time Masters champion Arnold Palmer is such a legend that he even has a drink named after him the "Arnold Palmer" (half iced tea, half lemonade). In honor of Arnold Palmer, name one of the top 10 selling tea companies in the world, or one of the companies that produced one of the 19 brands of lemonade that were subject to a 2013 taste test by the Good Housekeeping Institute. Note: these tea companies sell bags of tea that can be used for making hot tea or iced tea. (26 possible answers)

PLAYOFF QUESTION
Note: Need to submit by 8:00 AM EST on Thursday, April 7th! Otherwise, by default, I will use earliest entry as your tie-breaker, but those that submit a score will have the advantage.

What will be the winning four round score of the 2016 Masters?

(To help you, the last four winning four round scores were: 270, 280, 279 & 278)
(Hopefully, you see why I need your guesses in by Thursday morning for this ;) )

Thanks. Good luck to all players.
Last edited by Ryno on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Ryno

Re: TD 290 - 2016 Masters Tournament

Post by Ryno »

List of Tournament Players:
Spoiler
1. MarkBarrett
2. 9021amyers
3. gamawire
4. ElendilPickle
5. BigDaddyMatty
6. geolawyerman
7. ChexMix
8. jev15
9. Rackme32
10. DadofTwins
11. patkav
12. Bamaman
13. Tabby
14. AgentCooper
15. Rusty's in the club
16. SBurrus
17. dinghammer
18. AgentSeto
19. colonial rampage
-------------------------------
20. econgator
21. Woof
22. dott888
23. Blue Lion
24. clprez
Last edited by Ryno on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

clprez

Post by clprez »

Sorry, but I didn't find how PAR will be scored.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Essentially, any answer with at least 3 players answering the same, but not the SHEEP answer will score PAR (0).
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Is there any penalty for missing a birdie opportunity? I want to take this quiz, but want to know if missing the bonus questions would count against my score.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Is there any penalty for missing a birdie opportunity? I want to take this quiz, but want to know if missing the bonus questions would count against my score.
Ryno wrote:• Four questions will have a bonus (“Birdie Opportunity”), in which a correct answer will score -1. There is no penalty for incorrect answers on these bonus questions.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Is there any penalty for missing a birdie opportunity? I want to take this quiz, but want to know if missing the bonus questions would count against my score.
Ryno wrote:• Four questions will have a bonus (“Birdie Opportunity”), in which a correct answer will score -1. There is no penalty for incorrect answers on these bonus questions.
Exactly, no harm no foul. The bonus is there to give a little bit of actual golf trivia.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

The real Masters started this morning. :) Nineteen players made it in before the deadline to be considered for the Playoff Question, in case there is a tie for first place (winner) at the end of 12 questions. Keep in mind, ties for 2nd place and below will be recognized, just like an actual golf tournament.

That said, there is still plenty of time to get in your responses to play.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

It's Sunday. Final Round. Less than 12 hours left. Time to make your Sunday afternoon Augusta charge to go down in history.

Still plenty of Singletons
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you had 283 for the tie breaker, you are in good shape if you avoid a Jordan Spieth collapse on the back nine of the quiz.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Some toonamint.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Darn, I got sidetracked from submitting when I first saw this, and now it's too late. I probably wouldn't have won, anyway. Congratulations to the eventual winner.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Instead of watching the tournament today, I went out to an arts and crafts festival with family, where the location and the crowds meant that I could only sporadically update the scoreboard on my phone. When I left there at 5:00, I saw that Jordan Spieth was leaving five shots. He's got the green jacket in hand; I keep my phone in my pocket, and head to a food market for dinner. One hour and one foot-long Cuban sandwich later, I check the leaderboard one more time. Somehow, some guy named Danny Willett has the lead on the 18th hole, and Spieth's three shots behind. "How could that happen?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote:Instead of watching the tournament today, I went out to an arts and crafts festival with family, where the location and the crowds meant that I could only sporadically update the scoreboard on my phone. When I left there at 5:00, I saw that Jordan Spieth was leaving five shots. He's got the green jacket in hand; I keep my phone in my pocket, and head to a food market for dinner. One hour and one foot-long Cuban sandwich later, I check the leaderboard one more time. Somehow, some guy named Danny Willett has the lead on the 18th hole, and Spieth's three shots behind. "How could that happen?"
The Dodgers got 5 off Cueto and the Giants in the 1st inning and lost 9-6. It was a strange afternoon bouncing back and forth between the golf and baseball with leads not as safe as they seemed. Then later in the evening it was the Spurs watching their lead against the Warriors disappear to kiss their home winning streak goodbye.

Spieth may not sleep well tonight, but he does have $880,000 for his troubles. Not bad for a T2 finish with Lee Westwood.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Alright, the deadline to enter has passed and it is time to begin this year's Masters TD tournament. :)

There are a total of 24 players this year. At least 12 will make the CUT. Unfortunately the usual weekend surge of entries did not happen.

Now on to the action.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Here we go, ROUND ONE - (RECENT CHAMPS ROUND)

To remind you of the first question:

Question #1
2015 Maters champion Jordan Spieth is sometimes described as a "Boy Scout" by commentators due to his squeaky clean image and politeness with reporters. In honor of Jordan Spieth, name one of the 13 required merit badges that a Boy Scout must earn in order to attain the rank of Eagle Scout. Note: I will be somewhat flexible here, I will accept answers that basically give the basic "gist" of the official name of the merit badge. (13 possible answers)

And your responses were:

Singletons (-2)

Communications - colonialrampage

Personal Fitness - Rackme32

Doubletons (-1)

Cooking - geolawyerman; clprez

Citizenship in the Nation - Rusty's in the Club; Agent Seto

First Aid - Dad of Twins; patkav

Par (E)

PAR - jev15; Woof; Tabby; Blue Lion; dott888

CO-SHEEP (3 players a piece) (+2)

Camping - gamawire; ElendilPickle; Bamaman

Cycling, Hiking, Swimming - Mark Barrett; Agent Cooper; econgator

Citizenship in the Community - 9021amyers; BigDaddyMatty; ChexMix

Incorrect (+3)
Service - dinghammer
Survivalist - SBurrus

Unused

Citizenship in the World
Lifesaving or Emergency Preparedness
Environmental Science or Sustainability
Personal Management
Family Life
Last edited by Ryno on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Now to our bonus:

Birdie Opportunity (bonus question): Name a corporate sponsor of a regular PGA tournament won by Jordan Spieth.

The regular PGA tournaments won by Jordan Spieth are: John Deere Classic (2013, 2015); Valspar Championship (2015); The Tour Championship by Coca-Cola (2015); Hyundai Tournament of Champions (2016)

The players that sunk their birdie putts (-1) are:

9021amyers
ChexMix
Rusty's in the Club
Agent Seto
jev15
colonialrampage
Dad of Twins
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Moving further in Round ONE:

Question #2
2014 & 2012 Masters champion Bubba Watson is well-known for his pink shirts and pink driver. In honor of Bubba Watson, name a studio album by the legendary band "Pink Floyd", or a solo studio album by the singer Pink (AKA, Alecia Moore). (21 possible answers)

Your answers were:

Singletons (-2)

I'm Not Dead - gamawire

Funhouse - Elendilpickle

Can't Take Me Home - ChexMix

Meddle - Rusty's in the Club

The Truth About Love - Agent Seto

Doubletons (-1)

The Wall - Mark Barrett; Tabby

Missundaztood - patkav; clprez

Atom Heart Mother - Woof; dott888

Par (E)

PAR - Dad of Twins

Animals - 9021amyers; jev15; Agent Cooper

The Division Bell - BigDaddyMatty; dinghammer; econgator

SHEEP (+2) (5 players)

The Dark Side of the Moon - geolawyerman; Rackme32; colonialrampage; Blue Lion; Bamaman

Incorrect (+3)
Pigs - SBurrus

Unusued
The Piper at the Gates
A Sauceful of Secrets
More
Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds
Wish You Were Here :(
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Endless River
Try This (by Pink!, all the others above are by Pink Floyd)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Crud. I was 50/50 with Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother and, as usual, made the wrong call. I figured that Saucerful of Secrets and Piper at the Gates of Dawn would be the obvious obscure Pink Floyd albums :mrgreen:

ETA: And no one went for Obscured By Clouds? Argggghh.