Tuesday, April 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7272, 2016-04-05

CONTESTANTS
Toni Johnson, a retail sales associate from Charlotte, North Carolina
Jeff Crosby, a youth ministry consultant from Rochester, New York
Udit Banerjea, an international relations graduate student from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Getting to be a contestant on Jeopardy! is not easy. Our test is 50 questions long and reflects 50 different categories. But once you're a contestant on the program, if you happen to hit a category that is familiar to you, you can do very well, as was the case on yesterday's show with Udit. He, in Double Jeopardy!, hit that 5-letter world capitals category and built up a lot of cash. So he's the champ. Jeff and Toni are the challengers today. Good luck to all three of you, and let's go to work right now. Take a look at the categories. Today you're dealing with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALL THE PRESIDENTS' CHILDREN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FROM THE GERMAN (5/5)
OFFICIAL STATE ANIMALS (5/5)
TRANS"PO"TATION (5/5)
THE BEATLES... GEAR! (4/5)
INDIRECT QUOTES (4/5) (Alex: In which you have to correct the part that is in parentheses.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Udit: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jeff: 9 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Toni: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Udit found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Udit had $3,200, Jeff had $2,000, and Toni had nothing in the bank. Udit wagered $1,000.

ALL THE PRESIDENTS' CHILDREN $1000: Last name of John, who before his death in 2013 at 91 was the oldest living child of a president
(Alex: And he looks like his father, doesn't he?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Udit: $4,200
Jeff: $2,000
Toni: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Toni Johnson is from Charlotte, North Carolina. And this lady has some spunk about her. She likes to do wild things. We have the Indy 500 race coming up soon. And you rode in an Indy car.

Toni: Yeah, who knew they had a back seat? It was in, uh, Charlotte Motor Speedway. It was a present from my brother. And you could either drive or you could ride, and I chose to ride, and we went 175 miles an hour for 5 laps. It was amazing.

Alex: Would you do it again?

Toni: Sure. I'd drive next time.

Alex: Oh, hello!

[Laughter]

Toni: Oh, yeah.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Jeff Crosby from Rochester, New York. A youth ministry consultant. Sometimes our preconceptions about people can... [snaps fingers] be dealt a serious blow. You and your family were having car trouble one day, and you were assisted by what a lot of people would've thought, hmm, I'm not sure about these guys. Who helped you?

Jeff: About--about 15 years ago, had all three of my daughters--Jessica, Rachel, Nicole--in the car with us. The engine started smoking. We pulled off the road. I had to pull up the hood. The engine was on fire. Found some sludge in a gully, threw it on the engine, put it out. We're trying to wave down cars to stop, and no one would. Finally, this guy in a very old, beat-up rusty truck stopped. He had a shotgun on the rack. He had a bumper sticker of Satan that said, "Dirty, mean, and nasty."

[Laughter]

Jeff: And he was a tobacco-chewing, swearing redneck if you've ever seen 'em. He loaded up my entire family in his old truck and took us to get help.

Alex: I like that story. Good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Udit Banerjea is our champion. He's an international relations graduate student who speaks how many languages?

Udit: Uh, five.

Alex: This is gonna help you. What are you gonna do, uh, when you're done with your studying?

Udit: Uh, hopefully, uh, work in some capacity formulating foreign policy or analyzing foreign policy.

Alex: Okay, the five languages are...

Udit: Uh, English, French, Hindi, Bengali, and Persian.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BEATLES... GEAR! $800: That crashing chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" is John, Paul, Ringo & Mal Evans on 3 of these

INDIRECT QUOTES $600: "The carriage held but just ourselves--/ And (eternal life)"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Udit: $7,400
Jeff: $4,200
Toni: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUTTER'S FORT (5/5)
TOUGH EUROPEAN CAPITALS (4/5)
A LITERARY MARY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE COMMON THREADS (5/5)
FAMOUS PAIRS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "X" FACTOR (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Udit: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Toni: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Udit had $6,600, Jeff had $7,000, and Toni was at $4,200. Jeff wagered $3,000.

A LITERARY MARY $1600: Mary Stewart's enchanting Arthurian trilogy starts with "The Crystal Cave", the saga of this character's youth
(Jeff: Who is Lancelot?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Udit who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Udit had $7,800, Jeff had $4,000, and Toni was at $4,200. Udit wagered $2,000.

FAMOUS PAIRS $800: In the 1990s their "two thumbs up" became a registered trademark

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TOUGH EUROPEAN CAPITALS $2000: Podgorica
(Jeff: What is...)
(Udit: What is Albania?)

FAMOUS PAIRS $400: Unveiled in 2013, their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is just steps away from Houdini's
(Udit: Who are Siegfried and Roy?)

THE "X" FACTOR $2000: A limb of the body, or the terminal point of something
(Toni: What's an apex?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Udit: $16,200
Jeff: $12,000
Toni: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Udit: Wager $7,800--wagering any more risks falling behind Jeff's wager of $3,600.
Jeff: While wagering all $12,000 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $3,600.
Toni: Wager $7,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This cereal brand that's been with us since the 1920s teamed up with a brewer in 2015 to create a Hefeweizen

FINAL SCORES
Toni: $7,800 - $7,700 = $100 (What is General Mills?) (3rd place)
Jeff: $12,000 - $3,600 = $8,400 (What is Grape Nuts?) (New champion: $8,400)
Udit: $16,200 - $8,000 = $8,200 (What is Kellogg's) (2nd place)
(Alex: [After revealing Toni's response] You went for the company, instead of the product.)
(Alex: Hefeweizen is also known as a wheat beer, and the cereal is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Udit: $15,000, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Jeff: $15,000, 21 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Toni: $7,800, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $37,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 21/59 = .356
Udit: 21/60 = .350
Toni: 12/58 = .207
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TRANS"PO"TATION $600: It transports a very special person around town
(Udit: Who is the pope?)

THE BEATLES... GEAR! $600: Paul played a Hofner '61 "violin"-shaped one of these
(Jeff: What is a guitar?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jeff: What is an electric guitar?)

ALL THE PRESIDENTS' CHILDREN $200: Since 2009, this presidential daughter has been a correspondent for the "Today" show

ALL THE PRESIDENTS' CHILDREN $600: That's Abraham Lincoln looking at a book with son Thomas, who was better known by this three-letter nickname
(Toni: Who is Tod?)

FROM THE GERMAN $200: Put this 4-letter word after "gab" or "fun" & you get an event with lots of those
(Toni: What is haus?)

TRANS"PO"TATION $200: In 1919 George Hansburg patented this jumping device, a big hit in the bouncing '20s
(Alex: That's right, with about a minute to go.)

OFFICIAL STATE ANIMALS $400: In 1995 Missouri designated this stubborn equine its state animal
(Jeff: Donkey?)

FAMOUS PAIRS $2000: In 1924 they published the first crossword puzzle book, and their company still publishes them today

SUTTER'S FORT $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Sutter's Fort.) In 1840, John Sutter received a grant from Mexico of around 50,000 acres here in the Sacramento Valley on which he built his fort; he named his landholdings New Helvetia for his homeland in this country

SUTTER'S FORT $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Sutter's Fort.) After years of disrepair, the fort was restored in the 1890s to serve as a museum; refugees from this 1906 event were temporarily housed at the fort, with the immigrant room here serving as a shower room

SUTTER'S FORT $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the Clue from Sutter's Fort.) In operation for only a short time, the distillery at the fort was used to make wine, but the grapes were so low in sugar, Sutter decided to distill the wine and make this fruity alcoholic drink that became known in California as aguardiente or "burning water"

SUTTER'S FORT $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Sutter's Fort.) Since almost everything shipped or stored had to be in barrels, the cooperage where they were made was crucial to Sutter's enterprises, one of which was baking and exporting the tough flour and water biscuits known as ship's bread, or this

SUTTER'S FORT $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the Clue from Sutter's Fort.) In July 1846, this army officer known as "The Pathfinder" took temporary control of the fort after the Bear Flag Revolt, renaming it Fort Sacramento, thus leaving John Sutter as a figurehead in his own fort

CORRECT RESPONSES
Eisenhower
pianos
immortality
Merlin
Siskel and Ebert
Montenegro
Penn and Teller
extremity
Wheaties
the Popemobile
a bass
Jenna Bush
Tad
fest
a pogo stick
a mule
Simon and Schuster
Switzerland
the San Francisco earthquake
brandy
hardtack
(John C.) Frémont
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

When the game was over, Alex walked over to the contestants and said
Spoiler
"I told the producers that the Final was too obscure, that no one would get it, but they overruled me." I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so! My only saving grace was being in second place on a TS.
I'm hanging my head in shame because
Spoiler
I blanked on Montenegro/Podgorica. Honest--I had all the capitals memorized. I even reviewed them the night before in the hotel. Of course I thought of it the second Alex ruled me out. The pressure of being "under the lights" was a little more intense than I expected!
Last edited by koozbane on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did AT really say "back to you" on the first clue?

I couldn't understand what the Trans"po"tation clue for $400 was asking for, because the wording was so weird. Even though I know that Crown Vics are police cars.

NHO Jenna Bush. The whole category was alien to me.

4/5 in Beatles, couldn't pull Clapton in time. Brain kept getting snagged on "Les Paul" even though that was in the clue.

Those were indeed tough European capitals. I've never heard of any of them.

I knew what Common Threads wanted from the first clue, but I didn't recognize a single one of those titles.

Nothing sounded remotely familiar in Sutter, either.

Not a guess on FJ! I have no idea what a "hefeweizen" is, so that led me nowhere. What is it with German words and obscure-ass foods in FJ! clues?
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Took me a while, but I got down Wheaties just in the nick of time. Total guess that Weizen = wheat.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Having no idea WTF hefeweizen is, and seeing no way to suss it out, I guessed Cheerios and just sort of did a little tap dance for 20 seconds. Wheat beer!? Sure, OK.

Evenly spaced scores, and still no tiebreaker. It's just never going to happen, is it? :(

After all the negs over the years on exact quotes, I'm surprised they were OK with 'colorblindness'.

That hardtack didn't look edible, in the 'fit for human consumption' or 'chew it without breaking your teeth/jaw' sense.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpr281 wrote:Took me a while, but I got down Wheaties just in the nick of time. Total guess that Weizen = wheat.
At first I went with Weetabix, but thought that would be a tad too obscure and shifted over to Wheaties.
pretzelgreg
Contributor

Post by pretzelgreg »

Wheat Beer! so glad for a misspent youth
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

That was a terrible final. It was completely unclear whether they wanted the cereal name, or the company that made the cereal and considering two contestants guessed companies that made cereal, and one contestant even guessed the right company, I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure out what the question even wanted. I went with Kellogg's anyway, so I was pretty much wrong regardless, but still did not like the question.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Jeff on his win. I had 43 correct responses including three triple stumpers: pianos, Montenegro, and Penn & Teller. I got FJ, but it took me several seconds. My first thought was shredded wheat, but that's not a brand. Then I remembered Wheaties.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Abraxas wrote:Congrats to Jeff on his win. I had 43 correct responses including three triple stumpers: pianos, Montenegro, and Penn & Teller. I got FJ, but it took me several seconds. My first thought was shredded wheat, but that's not a brand. Then I remembered Wheaties.
Shredded Wheat is a brand owned by the Post company (also was my answer to this Final, but I digress.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Vowela wrote:That was a terrible final. It was completely unclear whether they wanted the cereal name, or the company that made the cereal and considering two contestants guessed companies that made cereal, and one contestant even guessed the right company, I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure out what the question even wanted. I went with Kellogg's anyway, so I was pretty much wrong regardless, but still did not like the question.
They said "Brand". Sounded pretty clear to me.

General Mills = Company
Wheaties = Brand
if they made Frosted Wheaties = product
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:They said "Brand". Sounded pretty clear to me.

General Mills = Company
Wheaties = Brand
Aside from me, two-thirds of today's contestants didn't find it clear.
Leander

Post by Leander »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Vowela wrote:That was a terrible final. It was completely unclear whether they wanted the cereal name, or the company that made the cereal and considering two contestants guessed companies that made cereal, and one contestant even guessed the right company, I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure out what the question even wanted. I went with Kellogg's anyway, so I was pretty much wrong regardless, but still did not like the question.
They said "Brand". Sounded pretty clear to me.

General Mills = Company
Wheaties = Brand
I agree it was clear, but I used to work in the food business and understand the difference between the company and the brand.

That said, I thought the FJ pretty unfair, hinging on one's knowledge of what a hefeweizen is, which is sorta obscure unless you're a beer geek.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

"Hefeweizen" is a wheat beer; so the answer must be a well-known cereal made of wheat. My first thought was Shredded Wheat, but I had a hunch that cereal dates back to before the 1920s, and changed to Wheaties. I didn't think it was a terrible clue.

Our new champion was sitting down during the game; the credits talk took place behind the podium, rather than the middle of the set. I wonder what the story is behind that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9021amyers wrote:"Hefeweizen" is a wheat beer; so the answer must be a well-known cereal made of wheat. My first thought was Shredded Wheat, but I had a hunch that cereal dates back to before the 1920s, and changed to Wheaties. I didn't think it was a terrible clue.
One that relies entirely on you knowing what "hefeweizen" is.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So, who were they actually quoting on that "Our constitution is colourblindness" clue, and why did they not word it a little better? I was absolutely gobsmacked that they weren't going for 'colourblind'. The quote really makes no sense.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:So, who were they actually quoting on that "Our constitution is colourblindness" clue, and why did they not word it a little better? I was absolutely gobsmacked that they weren't going for 'colourblind'. The quote really makes no sense.

Brian

It is "color-blind". Don't know why they accepted "colorblindness".
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats koozbane. No idea on FJ.. Went with cap n crunch.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!