Tuesday, April 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:This does bring up an interesting point: should the way someone answers influence whether or not a BMS is warranted? For example, if there's a clue about politics and someone answers "Clinton" you'd expect a BMS because both Bill and Hillary are politicians and the "Clinton" answer doesn't tell you which one they're referring to. However, when someone answers "guitar" for a question where "bass" is the expected answer it's pretty clear the contestant wasn't thinking of a bass even though a bass is a type of guitar.
I still say that guitar / bass guitar should fall under the Ireland / Northern Ireland rule. If the clue points to Northern Ireland, they don't accept (or BMS) Ireland. So, even though a bass is a subset of guitar, it is for all intents and purpose a different instrument. Bass players are never* referred to as guitar players.

*Conceding, of course, that many bass players are also proficient on the guitar (McCartney included especially) and would therefore be called guitar players based (no pun intended) on that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:This does bring up an interesting point: should the way someone answers influence whether or not a BMS is warranted? For example, if there's a clue about politics and someone answers "Clinton" you'd expect a BMS because both Bill and Hillary are politicians and the "Clinton" answer doesn't tell you which one they're referring to. However, when someone answers "guitar" for a question where "bass" is the expected answer it's pretty clear the contestant wasn't thinking of a bass even though a bass is a type of guitar.
I still say that guitar / bass guitar should fall under the Ireland / Northern Ireland rule. If the clue points to Northern Ireland, they don't accept (or BMS) Ireland. So, even though a bass is a subset of guitar, it is for all intents and purpose a different instrument. Bass players are never* referred to as guitar players.

*Conceding, of course, that many bass players are also proficient on the guitar (McCartney included especially) and would therefore be called guitar players based (no pun intended) on that.

Brian
"Oh the singer, he looks angry
At being thrown to the lions
And the bass player, he looks nervous
About the girls outside
And the drummer, he's so shattered
Trying to keep up time
And the guitar players look damaged
They've been outcasts all their lives..."

The Rolling Stones, "Jig-Saw Puzzle"

So, a "bass player" and a "guitar player" are two separate things. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I suppose I'm still not seeing the confusion over 'brand name.' The most common realm, I think, where we run across it is drugs, where you have your 'brand name' (e.g., Advil) and the 'generic' or 'store brand' (e.g., ibuprofen). No one goes in looking for "Pfizer ibuprofen."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

brick wrote:I bought a retired police car once. That car was a beast. Honest to God.
My father had a 1996 Chevy Impala SS, which was essentially a Chevy Caprice with the "police car" package. It was fun.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote:
brick wrote:I bought a retired police car once. That car was a beast. Honest to God.
My father had a 1996 Chevy Impala SS, which was essentially a Chevy Caprice with the "police car" package. It was fun.
My experience driving police cars comes from Rockstar games like the GTA series or these models in L.A. Noire:

There are 9 total Police vehicles.
Buick Super
Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
Chevrolet Fleetmaster 2DR
Chevrolet Coroner's Van
Ford Police Special
Hudson Commodore
International Police Wagon
Nash Super 600
Studebaker Commander
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

9021amyers wrote:"Hefeweizen" is a wheat beer; so the answer must be a well-known cereal made of wheat. My first thought was Shredded Wheat, but I had a hunch that cereal dates back to before the 1920s, and changed to Wheaties. I didn't think it was a terrible clue.

Our new champion was sitting down during the game; the credits talk took place behind the podium, rather than the middle of the set. I wonder what the story is behind that.

I had Cheerios, FWIW. And I TOOK two years of German at University of Oklahoma.