Wednesday, April 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7273, 2016-04-06

WE ASKED: TV host Rachel Maddow.

CONTESTANTS
Paul Belin, a business development manager originally from Columbia, Maryland
Sabrina Fritz, an engineering student originally from St. Charles, Missouri
Jeff Crosby, a youth ministry consultant from Rochester, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $8,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. Tough Final on yesterday's program, but I can't help but wonder how many people went out after the show and tried to find some of that wheat beer, that Hefeweizen. Jeff is our returning champion. Sabrina and Paul are the challengers. And I wish you all good luck as we begin the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WELCOME TO (5/5)
THE PEPYS SHOW (3/5)
SPORT ABILITY (5/5)
WE'LL SPOT YOU A LETTER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL CUISINE (2/4)
THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD (4/5) (Rachel Maddow: I'm Rachel Maddow with a twist on a favorite feature of mine...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sabrina: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jeff: 7 R, 2 W
Paul: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sabrina found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Jeff had $600, Sabrina had $3,600, and Paul was at $1,200. Sabrina made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

WE'LL SPOT YOU A LETTER $600: Third letter V:
The conditional agreement made to humanity by God, as revealed in scripture

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sabrina: $7,200
Jeff: $1,400
Paul: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Paul Belin is a business development manager who is also a power lifter.

Paul: Correct.

Alex: Okay. Bench-press, how many pounds?

Paul: Uh, 405.

Alex: How long have you been doing this?

Paul: Uh, probably since I was 16 years old, so quite a long time.

Alex: And what's the great satisfaction to you?

Paul: Uh, I think every year getting a little bit stronger, uh, beating your personal best.

Alex: Now you're an amateur. Do you--do you compete against other people?

Paul: I do. I do.

Alex: And it's in weight classes?

Paul: It's by weight class and also by age class. But, uh, you know, I haven't lost yet.

Alex: Oh, well, congratulations on that score.

Alex: Sabrina Fritz is an engineering student who is studying a specific biomedical engineering area. With a view to doing what?

Sabrina: Uh, ideally, I would really like to go into the prosthetics industry. Um, we actually have classes specifically on prosthetics in school, and those have been my favorite so far. So...

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Jeff Crosby, a youth ministry consultant from New York whose great-grandfather is on a Canadian postage stamp? Is that right?

Jeff: That's right. My mom is the former Elisabeth Comeau. What up, Betty? Her grandfather was Napoléon Comeau, who was a Quebec outdoorsman, sportsman, uh, wannabe doctor, delivering Indian babies. And he, uh, rescued two guys that were trapped on an ice floe, and he has since been honored on a stamp in Canada.

Alex: Oh. Congratulations. That's great.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WE'LL SPOT YOU A LETTER $800: Sixth letter G: Phosphorescence, or the pleasant remembrance of past glory

INTERNATIONAL CUISINE $1000: Cassoulet, a traditional dish from France's Languedoc region, features various meats & this color beans
(Paul: What is green?)

INTERNATIONAL CUISINE $800: This stir-fried Chinese dish of shredded meat & vegetables is mixed with scrambled eggs & then rolled into thin pancakes
(Alex: Good stuff. I love this category. Sabrina.)
(Sabrina: Uh, ha-ha.)

THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD $600: (Rachel Maddow delivers the clue.) Im 1990 it was this, created by Tim Berners-Lee & now the leading information retrieval system of the Internet

THE PEPYS SHOW $1000: As president of this "Society", Pepys put his imprimatur on the title page of Newton's "Principia Mathematica"
(Alex: Oh, Jeff thought about it, but too late.)

THE PEPYS SHOW $600: As secretary of this, which he doubled in fighting strength, Pepys "encompassed Britain with wooden walls"
(Jeff: Uh, what is the Secretary of the War?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sabrina: $9,400
Paul: $2,400
Jeff: $1,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FICTIONAL HUNCHBACKS (5/5)
3 LITTLE WORDS (1/2)
THE HIMALAYAS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"R" HOTEL (4/4) (Alex: Each hotel beginning with the letter "R".)
THE WAR OF 1812 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHARED INITIALS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Paul: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sabrina: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Jeff had $1,600, Sabrina had $9,400, and Paul was at $2,400. Jeff wagered $2,000.

THE WAR OF 1812 $1200: In September 1814 major George Armistead resisted an attack by the British navy on this fort

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sabrina who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Jeff had $6,400, Sabrina had $11,800, and Paul was at $4,800. Sabrina wagered $2,500.

THE HIMALAYAS $2000: Tea is the main product of this city on the slopes of the Himalayas in West Bengal
(Sabrina: What is... Chai?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHARED INITIALS $1200: Bill Todman's game show partner & a perestroika pioneer
(Paul: What is M.G.?)
(Jeff: Who is Goodman?)
[Initially both ruled incorrect; before the Daily Double at clue 24, Alex explained that "Our judges are in a very good mood today, and they have decided, because of the confusion in that SHARED INITIALS category a few moments ago, they are not going to penalize you two for your incorrect responses."]
(Alex: Sabrina, you select.)
[Sabrina did not have control of the board, but the mistake went without being caught.]

SHARED INITIALS $2000: The original cyberpunk scribe & the tunesmith of "This Land Is Your Land"

3 LITTLE WORDS $2000: An online "Australian English Glossary from A to Zed" translates it as "Well done!"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jeff: $14,000
Sabrina: $10,900
Paul: $10,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jeff: Wager $7,801 to cover Sabrina.
Sabrina: You ought to wager to cover Paul, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $10,900. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,900 (to shut out Paul) or less than $4,700 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Paul). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jeff.
Paul: Consider risking between $501 and $4,200. This will top a $0 wager by Sabrina while still beating Jeff on the Triple Stumper (should Jeff wager to cover Sabrina's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its name means "fear", & this moon orbits closest to a planet's surface of any moon in the solar system

FINAL SCORES
Paul: $10,400 + $2,000 = $12,400 (What What is Phobos) (3rd place)
Sabrina: $10,900 + $10,899 = $21,799 (What is Phobos?) (2nd place)
Jeff: $14,000 + $7,801 = $21,801 (What is Phobos?) (8401-day champion: $21,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jeff: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sabrina: $10,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Paul: $10,400, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 19/59 = .322
Sabrina: 17/60 = .283
Paul: 12/58 = .207
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPORT ABILITY $1000: In world team tennis in the 1970s, this 6-time Wimbledon singles champ was one of the first women to coach pro men
(Jeff: Who is Navratilova?)

WELCOME TO $800: Welcome to this Chicago landmark

THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD $200: (Rachel Maddow delivers the clue.) In 1955 the best new thing in the world was Jonas Salk's vaccine for this, which saved hundreds of thousands of children from contracting the disease

THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD $400: (Rachel Maddow delivers the clue.) Around 1455 the best new thing in the world was movable type, used in a 42-line Bible produced by this German printer

THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD $800: (Rachel Maddow delivers the clue.) In 1824 it was this writing system for the blind, developed by a blind teenager

THE BEST NEW THING IN THE WORLD $1000: (Rachel Maddow delivers the clue.) In 1976 it was Muhammad Yunus' program of these, a credit system to help the impoverished become self-sufficient by borrowing as little as $30
(Alex: And our thanks to Ms. Maddow for picking all of those best new things for us.)

INTERNATIONAL CUISINE $400: This Indian relish containing fruit, vinegar, sugar & spices is a delicious accompaniment to curry dishes
(Alex: With less than a minute, you are right.)

WE'LL SPOT YOU A LETTER $400: First letter H:
A small village
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE WAR OF 1812 $1600: In October 1814 Congress proposed moving the capital back to this city but the house rejected the bill, 83-74
[Alex added "by a vote of" when reading the clue.]
(Jeff: What is New York City?)

THE WAR OF 1812 $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map-like diagram on the monitor.) Using barricades of earthworks & cotton bales, he set a defensive line on Rodriguez Canal to defend New Orleans; in a half-hour of fighting on January 8, 1815, British causalities were over 2,000; Americans?--fewer than 100

"R" HOTEL $400: We're not puttin' you on: this luxury chain has hotels in McLean, Virginia & Bachelor Gulch, Colorado
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

3 LITTLE WORDS $1600: Closely contested, or minor cosmetic surgery
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the covenant
the afterglow
white
moo shu (pork)
the World Wide Web
the Royal Society
the Royal Navy
Fort McHenry
Darjeeling
Mark Goodson & Mikhail Gorbachev
William Gibson & Woody Guthrie
Good on ya
Phobos
Billie Jean King
the Sears Tower
polio
Gutenberg
Braille
microloans
chutney
a hamlet
Philadelphia
(Andrew) Jackson
the Ritz
nip and tuck

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its name means “fear”, & this moon orbits closest to a planet’s surface of any moon in the solar system

Jeff Crosby: 14000+7801=21801 (2x = $30,201)
Sabrina Fritz: 10900+10899=21799
Paul Belin: 10400+2000=12400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Phobos
Daily Doubles
Sabrina: 3600+3600
Jeff: 1600+2000
Sabrina: 11800-2500

Coryats
Jeff: 13200
Sabrina: 10400
Paul: 10400

Combined: 34,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Spoiler
Show
Asked for a planetary moon and spotted "fear?"
What a contrast from yesterday's FJ.

At the end of the first round I thought,
Spoiler
Show
"Boy am I in trouble." I was completely oblivious to the score throughout DJ. Never looked at it once. At the end of the round I thought "I wonder how far behind I still am." I was surprised as anyone to see I had the lead. Rewarded with an uber-easy FJ.
Perhaps the most gracious, undeserved reversal in Jeopardy history. I ain't complain'
Last edited by koozbane on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:26 pm

The World Wide Web clue stumped me because I didn't know what it exactly meant by retrieval system. A piece of technology? An early search engine?!

Not an iota of recognition in that fancy-pants food category.

The War of 1812 spread into Detroit?!?

I couldn't think of any famous hunchbacks besides Quasimodo, and had no idea what he had to do with roofs, so I was lost there.

"blah blah fear blah blah moon" = Phobos before Alex was done reading the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Awesome victory, Jeff. That's the way to come from behind.

I was going to call BS on the Initials category, but they made it right.

Unless you've never heard of Phobos, there's no way you could miss this.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Congrats to Jeff on his second win. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: afterglow, white beans, World Wide Web, and Royal Society. I also got FJ.
Last edited by Abraxas on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Abraxas wrote:Congrats to Paul on his second win. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: afterglow, white beans, World Wide Web, and Royal Society. I also got FJ.
And Jeff, too. ;)

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 pm

So there was a category involving Rocky Horror, Batman and Young Frankenstein?! Talk about dream board for me ...

This FJ's gotta poll really, really high.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm

From last night's clue...to Astronomy 101. Wow. Instaget the second the clue popped up and I saw "fear".

My exact reaction to that first 'Shared Initials' pileup was "what kind of !@&#%(! is that??? Explain the category!! I actually had a slight attitude, waiting for the reversal.

Not sure what happened to Sabrina. The others found their buzzer mojo? Bad categories? I thought we were headed for a blowout for a second there.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vowela
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vowela » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm

I agree on the World Wide Web clue. I had no idea what exactly they were looking for there.

Today's Final being so easy kinda' makes up for yesterday's being so ridiculous.

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:From last night's clue...to Astronomy 101. Wow. Instaget the second the clue popped up and I saw "fear".

My exact reaction to that first 'Shared Initials' pileup was "what kind of !@&#%(! is that??? Explain the category!! I actually had a slight attitude, waiting for the reversal.

Not sure what happened to Sabrina. The others found their buzzer mojo? Bad categories? I thought we were headed for a blowout for a second there.
Due to the initials kerfuffle mentioned above, there was a pretty significant pause in gameplay once Sabrina called the clue that would end up being the Darjeeling DD. I obviously can't read her mind, but it seems like the pause in conjunction with the missed DD may have thrown her off her game.

Congrats to Jeff!

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm

More likely, it was probably a combination of the two things you mentioned. I'll have to watch the game again (I'm traveling right now) to figure it out better.

mfc248

Post by mfc248 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:44 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:The World Wide Web clue stumped me because I didn't know what it exactly meant by retrieval system. A piece of technology? An early search engine?!
Vowela wrote:I agree on the World Wide Web clue. I had no idea what exactly they were looking for there.
I'd think (Sir) "Tim Berners-Lee" is a Pavlov for the World Wide Web. Without the name, I'd likely have been just as clueless.

brick

Post by brick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:55 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:From last night's clue...to Astronomy 101. Wow. Instaget the second the clue popped up and I saw "fear".

I dunno. I think if you plunge into a category in the middle sometimes you take some lumps.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 pm

My station showed the pre-chat portion from yesterday's game before getting it right after the break.

I missed FJ, could not remember Mars' moon's names.

I agree on the correction on the initials.

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:10 pm

I was all ready to guess "internet" for "Tim Berners-Lee", but I knew it wasn't right. Didn't come up with www in time.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:13 pm

mfc248 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The World Wide Web clue stumped me because I didn't know what it exactly meant by retrieval system. A piece of technology? An early search engine?!
Vowela wrote:I agree on the World Wide Web clue. I had no idea what exactly they were looking for there.
I'd think (Sir) "Tim Berners-Lee" is a Pavlov for the World Wide Web. Without the name, I'd likely have been just as clueless.
Without the name, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:03 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:
mfc248 wrote:
Without the name, I wouldn't have gotten it.
Same here. Berners-Lee is a pavlov for WWW just like Al Gore is for "information superhighway". I TAed nine different sections of the "astronomy for non-science students" class at Ohio State, and so FJ was probably the fastest instaget I've ever had, although the Ma'oz Tzur/Rock of Ages one came close.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:04 pm

I don't know how the first half of the Jeopardy round played out, because my station (WXIA in Atlanta) broadcast the first segment of yesterday's game by mistake. I recorded the show on DVR, and it freaked me out.