Wednesday, April 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:12 am

Did anyone else use the conspicuous absence of country names in their respective clues to bolster their confidence in guessing Guatemala City and Panama City?

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 am

Budphrey wrote:Suggestion for a question in the weekly poll: I would have won Wednesday's game based on running the Central American capitals category and getting Final Jeopardy!.
I would not have done that, but I would have won the game based on 8 total TSs ($11,200) plus Algonquin.

Let's see. Nobody gets Bobby Hull, You Bet Your Life, the "Good Neighbor Policy," or the Algonquin Roundtable/Hotel. Another opportunity for me to feel really old.

Oh, and yeah, Christian joins the long list of people who totally throw away a J! victory that coulda shoulda been theirs, if only they knew any danged thing about FJ wagering strategy. (Deep Sigh)

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:18 am

floridagator wrote:I'm with grindcore. It was an easy set of boards. The capitals category was practically a giveaway. Just asking for the capital name. And no gets on that easy FJ? Woof.
Woof indeed! :mrgreen: instaget FJ:

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
After four I'm under my host.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 am

skullturf wrote:I knew all that, but I still wasn't positive that "Algonquin" was the name of the hotel. It could have just been the name of the room, or the society, for all I knew.

But I still wrote down "Algonquin" because I knew it was talking about that group of writers, and I thought Algonquin could have been the name of the hotel.
+1 with everything except what I wrote down. I immediately knew it was the round table, knew the name of the group, didn't know if that was the name of the hotel. After an embarrassing length of time trying to remember what hotel was "the lullaby of ol' Broadway" (locals will prob get the reference), I went with Waldorf-Astoria.

Can we see if enough people are in the similar situation (Knew it was the name of the round table, wasn't aware it was the name of the hotel) to warrant a poll q?

davey

Post by davey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:21 am

MitchO wrote:
skullturf wrote:I knew all that, but I still wasn't positive that "Algonquin" was the name of the hotel. It could have just been the name of the room, or the society, for all I knew.

But I still wrote down "Algonquin" because I knew it was talking about that group of writers, and I thought Algonquin could have been the name of the hotel.
+1 with everything except what I wrote down. I immediately knew it was the round table, knew the name of the group, didn't know if that was the name of the hotel. After an embarrassing length of time trying to remember what hotel was "the lullaby of ol' Broadway" (locals will prob get the reference)...
The Milford Plaza...one of the least storied hotels in New York City history. Underwent a hip overhaul in 2014 and now known as Row NYC.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:19 am

I knew FJ, but I win from third place even if I don't by not betting everything but a dollar.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:50 am

Gemini Bowie wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I have seen Alien. I have enjoyed Alien (the sequel was better). I did not get the Alien clue.
I was shocked that nobody answered "Alien."

FYI - Alien is the AFI #6 Thriller film and the alien is the AFI #14 Villain.

The sequel was not better! :D
I'd say that the sequel was equal! But they were two very different types of movies; one was suspense and the other was a war film.

Younger folks may not be aware of it, but Alien was really quite a departure from space movies in the prior decade, even though it had many of the usual suspense elements.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm not convinced that my guess of "heliocentric" to describe the path of planets according to Kepler (including e, t, and c) would have been incorrect in that category. Judges?

I would have routed these contestants in the capitals category and Final.

Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 pm

9021amyers wrote:I'm not convinced that my guess of "heliocentric" to describe the path of planets according to Kepler (including e, t, and c) would have been incorrect in that category. Judges?
Incorrect (IMHO) - heliocentric describes their paths according to Copernicus. In that model they were circular orbits until Kepler came along.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Pretty much that. Except that I didn't get there until after the 30 seconds were used up.

I hope Carter is going to be nice to the third place finisher (Christian, was it?) for that very generous gift.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Coryat: $27,400
40 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: diffusion, San Jose, Guatemala City, cribbage, You Bet Your Life, Bobby Hull, Belmopan, Managua (DD), Panama City

Wow. I've never picked up an entire category of LT before. No chance for me on FJ! I knew that the Algonquin Round Table wasn't named for the tribe, but I didn't know what it was named for. I also wasn't aware of the movie.
Sprinkles are for winners.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm

MitchO wrote:After an embarrassing length of time trying to remember what hotel was "the lullaby of ol' Broadway" (locals will prob get the reference)...
Doesn't necessarily take a local -- they were a big advertiser on Superstation (W)WOR way back when.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:30 pm

grindcore wrote:So it's my birthday, and this is what I get? 0/5 on Central American capitals and no get on cribbage? Shame.

And what the hell was that FJ? No chance for me, I said the Chelsea as well.
Happy birthday! You must be a brother from another mother, I know that you're a geography nut like me (EZPZ category as well), but I'm also a cribbage fan. Been playing since I was 8, my wife was playing since she was a kid, and now our kids have been playing since they were about 7 or 8.

However, like much of the board, I did get Final and found it quite easy as well, based on the info provided.
Budphrey wrote:Suggestion for a question in the weekly poll: I would have won Wednesday's game based on running the Central American capitals category and getting Final Jeopardy!.
Coryat for J! round: $3,600. Coryat for DJ! round: $25,600. Yeah. (Sadly, though, I was 4/5 in the capitals, missing the DD. I even went through the capitals that were left (and was actually expecting Tegucigalpa in the $2K spot, but I tend to forget that I'm one of the few people that can pronounce it correctly every time) and couldn't come up with it. In my defence, I was unfamiliar with Lake Managua, the only lake I know of in that country is the huge Lake Nicaragua.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The aardvark/anteater clue was BS. Those are two distinct animals, and I really doubt that either is a synecdoche of the other.
[citation needed]
TenPoundHammer wrote: I would say that learning the capitals of 7 tiny little countries is a much lower priority than those of the larger countries (e.g., Canberra, Ottawa, Brasília), or even unique cases worth memorizing such as La Paz/Sucre in Bolivia or Pretoria/Bloemfontein/Cape Town in South Africa. IMO, the Central American ones just aren't that prominent.
While I will always argue against you whenever you make this (or similar points), I fear you may be correct on this one, given the poor performance (prompting Alex's comment).

I am very surprised no one here made a comment about the Game Shows category, I figured more people would say "I wish this was my board, I would have run the category" based on the Game Shows category rather than the Central American Capitals one! (I also got 4/5 in that category, I called "Hollywood Squares" "Match Game")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012