Thursday, April 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Thursday, April 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Combined Coryat: $51,000

Margaret went 4/5 in:
Pasta Glossary
Horns You Can't Play
6 Characters In Search of a Novelist
Wonderful World of Sydney
and 3/5 in:
History Of The World
All You Can “Eat”

Golf clearly isn't happy unless he has something to complain about.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Yep, I choked up a bit when Alex did. Good job, mom!

And librarians rule. Margaret was impressive indeed.

As to FJ, I visualized a map of the Canadian/American border, and stopped when I got to Idaho. Made sense. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any way to keep the South America/Africa capes straight? I always get those mixed up.

Naturally, the king was my only miss in the History category. I still see no way to keep them straight.

No-Fly for $1,000 was a total gamble on MI/MN/WI in my opinion, and to me, MI seemed most obvious.

I totally failed to see "rinkside" in Women Athletes for $200, and even when I did I almost said "figure skating" because it seemed just as obvious.

4/5 in Pasta was better than I thought. Also didn't expect to run Flags.

That oxygen song was very VERY undervalued at the top box. I've never even heard of that band, much less the song. "Sweet" + "Oxygen" produced no prior archive hits. Can we poll that?

blah blah blah word categories are killing me anymore I only got "bleat" in "EAT".

Sharecropping was overvalued at $2,000.

Extremely instaget FJ!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That oxygen song was very VERY underovervalued at the top box.
There! Fixed your post for you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:That oxygen song was very VERY underovervalued at the top box.

Brian
Agreed (although I always preferred Sweet's "Fox on the Run").
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
So a song by some ultra obscure artist who a.) hasn't charted anywhere since 1978 and b.) has literally never been in a clue before is "OMGsuperpavlovian how do you miss this"?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Librarian got game.

EDIT TO ADD: I like big books and I cannot lie.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
So a song by some ultra obscure artist who a.) hasn't charted anywhere since 1978 and b.) has literally never been in a clue before is "OMGsuperpavlovian how do you miss this"?
I would not call Sweet "some ultra obscure artist". Whether or not they have been in a clue before is kinda irrelevant, as is when their last charted hit was.

In addition to Love Is Like Oxygen, Action, and Fox On The Run, almost everybody here would know Little Willy and Ballroom Blitz. Nothing obscure about them.

I may have never heard of those Keith Urban songs from the other day, but I wouldn't call him ultra obscure just because I haven't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

As with an earlier post, I would have gone with NH in FJ without the TOM. Idaho was easy to visualize, since I've been to the Canadian Rockies.

And, point of order -- Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center are not one and the same! Canaveral (called Cape Kennedy for awhile, hence the common confusion) is the Air Force station where the pre-Apollo manned launches were; it's still used for unmanned launches like the Atlas V and Titan III and IV launches. Kennedy Space Center is on Merritt Island, just north up the coast. Apollo 11 lifted off from KSC, not Canaveral.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:I would not call Sweet "some ultra obscure artist". Whether or not they have been in a clue before is kinda irrelevant, as is when their last charted hit was.

In addition to Love Is Like Oxygen, Action, and Fox On The Run, almost everybody here would know Little Willy and Ballroom Blitz. Nothing obscure about them.
I looked up a couple of their songs and, while certainly fine songs, none of them rang even the faintest of bells for me. I just don't see anything in their discography or history that suggests they are a super-noteworthy act that left behind a huge catalog of hits, had any individually notable members, had a distinctive sound, or otherwise left any other kind of impact on pop culture as a whole. None of their songs appear to have had extensive use in movies or TV, and there doesn't seem to have been much to say about them, judging from how ridiculously short most of the articles are on their songs.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I did not get to watch the game, but I"m so thrilled that Margaret won. I've met her a few times in my dealings at the New Hanover County Library (which was the first charity I donated to when the check came in) and she's a lovely person. Once again, it's great to see a fellow Baby Boomer become a champion.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:None of their songs appear to have had extensive use in movies or TV...
Tia Carrere performing "Ballroom Blitz" in lingerie in the "Wayne's World" movie is all the use they ever need, as far as I'm concerned.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

TPH, quit while you're behind! Great game today; as great as yesterday's was horrid. I was in Australia twice in 2014 & I was gratified to run the Sydney category. I'm looking forward to watching the librarian again tomorrow.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Story time was entertaining today with Margaret hitting the triple play of knitting librarian who likes cats, Hannah watching Bette Davis movies (legally and illegally) and Carter singing in an a capella group The Footnotes.

Whatever complaints there were about last night's game and all of the Lach Trash had to be reversed after tonight's outstanding contest with the 51K combined Coryat.

Margaret was terrific and I enjoyed the tension for the FJ! round in whether she had Idaho and then whether she had indeed made a cover wager. Nicely done on both parts. And just when Carter was looking quite comfortable from the champ's spot.

Even if New England had not been eliminated in the FJ! clue wording I think I still would have gone with Idaho. With that section out I never considered another state.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Agreed (although I always preferred Sweet's "Fox on the Run").
Yep. Sweet are the progenitors of hair metal.

Thought of Pennsylvania at first, but went further and got Idaho.
Cheez, where were these contestants yesterday?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DBear wrote:
econgator wrote:Cheez, where were these contestants yesterday?
Well, two out of three were in the stands or the green room. :shock: :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Margaret! Margaret!

She's awesome.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
The clue wasn't about the song; it was about filling in a blank in song lyrics with an element. The songs could have been infinitely obscure as long as context made it obvious what element fit.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,200
45 R/7 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: (none)

A $51K Coryat. Very impressive.
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
The clue wasn't about the song; it was about filling in a blank in song lyrics with an element. The songs could have been infinitely obscure as long as context made it obvious what element fit.
This element (pardon the pun) is the very reason I agree with TPH here. The meaning of the category title had not been made clear, and "Sweet" seemed like a possible clue regarding the correct response rather than the name of the band that originally recorded the song (and I say that as someone who has some familiarity with the band). Carter clearly read the clue this way, as he negged with "sugar."
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:Margaret was indeed formidable, the audience was awestruck.

I laughed when Alex asked her what she did for fun and she said "knitting" - she had indeed spent every free moment knitting from the time the shuttle dropped us off at the studio that morning.
That does tend to be what we do ;) I was rooting for her from that point onwards, and the talking to cats part was just the icing on the cake.
She was so awesome that for a moment I wondered if the whole thing was a put-on and she was being played by Carol Burnett. :lol: