Wednesday, November 2, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc(SPOILE

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote:They stopped tape (I can't recall why) just as the $1,200 clue was selected, and the clue was briefly revealed. They ended up replacing it, but the lost clue was Hephaestus.
TPTB replace clues in the middle of games!? I did not know that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Everyone's citing Kevin Marshall's QF and nobody's remembering Dave Traini's!
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, helped by a clue that gave us way too many hints.
Watson probably would've responded with Toronto. ;)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Well, that answers that about the Teacher's Tourney and giving the champ a spot in the TOC. Bronze it is for Charles. So much for benefit of the doubt. The next tourney winner gets Bronze no matter what happens. His backward steps had him living up to having the third-highest average in the field for incorrect responses.

Jay is 4th on that dubious list and he also didn't always have his score moving up. Tom's negs seemed to be incorrect processing of clues rather than not knowing the material or being reckless with guesses.

In the TOC my Coryat should not be higher than the combined, but tonight I did it with 1400 to spare thanks to picking up the trash with Galvani. For me to run Science and only get two in TV was very strange. Cheers, Parks & Rec and Battlestar caught me three times. There was no reason only Carrie would be a problem since earlier they were only looking for Ron.

The judging delay that had me questioning Alex was Archduke Ferdinand. Alex has been hosting long enough to know that equals Franz Ferdinand. That should have been an immediate acceptance.

Put me in the gaucho club. I'm sure I had company.

Tyrion Lannister? Thumbs up, yes for using him.

The FJ clue had me head right to the Baltic states and the wording seemed clearly to direct. Latvia? Riga. That's four letters. Done. I checked on Tallinn and Vilnius for their letter count while I was there.

Now I have almost a week (or depending on 2nd places scores less) to see if Jay can get a wildcard. That would be a shame to see him not get there. Once again Jay delivered in the interview segment. Alex sets the table well and Jay always brings it home.
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

Budphrey wrote:Lest we forget ... there was a ToC a few years ago in which two semifinalists qualified after ending FJ! with $0.

I don't understand... How could a player qualify with a $0 score? Does anyone know which year's TOC is referenced here?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Is it just me, or is Oslo not even that close to the Baltic? I mean, it's in the right part of the world, but surely everyone knows the order of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and that the Baltic Sea doesn't touch Norway in any way, at least as far as I can tell. I immediately assumed the answer was Riga, but tried to think of any 4-letter city in Germany or Poland that could have fit, but came up empty.

This was a very good game for me. Having the TOC start out with a baseball category in the J! round and a TV category in the DJ! round was definitely a move in my favor from the writers. I picked up at least 4 triple stumpers: Honus Wagner, Ron Swanson, renegade, and SYD. In answer to the earlier question, they were asking for the code of the busiest airport in Australia, and I suppose it's possible that some of the players could have thought that Melbourne's airport might be busier than Sydney's.

I somewhat agree with the poster who said that they hate Daily Double hunting in the TOC. My feelings are that if you're going to hunt for them, you should at least be willing to bet aggressively on them. Finding them just so that your opponents can't find them and bet aggressively seems a little dishonorable to me. (Dishonorable isn't really the word I mean there, but I can't seem to find the right word.) Jay bet just $2000 on both DJ! round DDs, and both seemed to be relatively easy clues for him, even though he took a long time to answer anyway.

While I loved Tom's FJ wager, he really should have gone with $4, rather than $3. If Jay had anticipated that Tom would anticipate his $4,401 bet, then Jay might figure that Tom might bet $2, so then Jay would up his bet to $4,403. Tom should therefore bet at least $4, just in case, because he wouldn't want to end up in a tie at $16,403. This $1-upsmanship could pretty much go on indefinitely, so I guess if either player was thinking about it that deeply, he would be better off to just pick a somewhat random number, like $16,418, and bet to reach that figure.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

jeff6286 wrote:Is it just me, or is Oslo not even that close to the Baltic? I mean, it's in the right part of the world, but surely everyone knows the order of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and that the Baltic Sea doesn't touch Norway in any way, at least as far as I can tell. I immediately assumed the answer was Riga, but tried to think of any 4-letter city in Germany or Poland that could have fit, but came up empty.
Kiel is on the Baltic. Had me worried for a few seconds but then I decided it was probably too obscure even for the TOC. (Not if you play Diplomacy, though.)
OtriviaNewtonJon

Post by OtriviaNewtonJon »

nice job Tom. Looking for some more big wins out of you!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would not go DD hunting in a category with a punny title like Bad Heir Day. I had a pretty good idea what it was going to be about, but it could have been about scions of wealthy families that had bad days. I'd have at least gone for the top clue to get a feel of what it was about before plunging into the deep end.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

StevenH wrote:TPTB replace clues in the middle of games!? I did not know that.
They have a sixth clue prepared for each category, which they can drop in if there's a technical problem that, for example, causes one of the clues to be inadvertently revealed.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Suze wrote:In the Sydney clue, did they ask for the largest city or the largest airport? I can't recall and the archive's not updated yet.
I thought it was something like largest (or busiest) airport, rather than largest city (although I may be mis-remembering). I briefly considered Melbourne (I know that airport is a major international hub, and the city it serves is actually very close in population to the capital of New South Wales) before going with the obvious choice of SYD. I did know for a fact that A-380's fly into Sydney, as I flew in there on one of them myself (although not on Qantas).

I generally liked the boards, finishing with a Coryat of $31,200 (including the lach trash of vaquero); I did find DJ somewhat tougher, negging (like the players) with Volta, prosciuto, and bloodworm (that latter one seemed like a pretty dumb species for me to invent, in retrospect). And "Game of Thrones" has been my bane lately on J!; I had to clam on the GOT-related clue tonight.

I got to Riga on FJ, but only after pausing my DVR, so I'm not counting myself correct. I started with Oslo before rejecting it as not on the Baltic; then Hanseatic made me think of Germany so I thought of Bonn, but that didn't seem right either. Then I stopped the playback and the Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia thing finally clocked into place.

Finally, I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with Jay doing what he needed to do to put himself in position to advance -- including the rather unremarkable strategy of "fishing" (as I think Alex called it). I was surprised that his bets were so conservative when he actually landed on the DD's, though -- especially on the $1,200 "men of science" clue, being that he's a doctor and all (cf. Tom's $4,000 wager in the single-J DD).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

darkgreenblue wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Lest we forget ... there was a ToC a few years ago in which two semifinalists qualified after ending FJ! with $0.

I don't understand... How could a player qualify with a $0 score? Does anyone know which year's TOC is referenced here?
Not sure which one it is, but Wild Cards can certainly qualify with a $0 score. I believe that they take the two with the highest score at the end of the DJ round.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jeff6286 wrote:While I loved Tom's FJ wager, he really should have gone with $4, rather than $3. If Jay had anticipated that Tom would anticipate his $4,401 bet, then Jay might figure that Tom might bet $2, so then Jay would up his bet to $4,403. Tom should therefore bet at least $4, just in case, because he wouldn't want to end up in a tie at $16,403. This $1-upsmanship could pretty much go on indefinitely, so I guess if either player was thinking about it that deeply, he would be better off to just pick a somewhat random number, like $16,418, and bet to reach that figure.
you could play this game all day. maybe jay should have anticipated that tom might bet $3 and wagered $4404. and maybe you should never go up against a sicilian when death is on the line.

also, in the case of a tie, tom would have gotten the automatic SF bid due to a higher pre-FJ score, and jay would have gone into the wildcard pool.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:While I loved Tom's FJ wager, he really should have gone with $4, rather than $3. If Jay had anticipated that Tom would anticipate his $4,401 bet, then Jay might figure that Tom might bet $2, so then Jay would up his bet to $4,403. Tom should therefore bet at least $4, just in case, because he wouldn't want to end up in a tie at $16,403. This $1-upsmanship could pretty much go on indefinitely, so I guess if either player was thinking about it that deeply, he would be better off to just pick a somewhat random number, like $16,418, and bet to reach that figure.
you could play this game all day. maybe jay should have anticipated that tom might bet $3 and wagered $4404. and maybe you should never go up against a sicilian when death is on the line.

also, in the case of a tie, tom would have gotten the automatic SF bid due to a higher pre-FJ score, and jay would have gone into the wildcard pool.
I was under the impression that in a tie for the win in a Quarterfinal, there would be a tiebreaker question, with the winner advancing and the loser going to the wildcard pool. I believe the pre-FJ tiebreaker would only come into play in the case of players from different QF matches being tied for a wildcard spot, such as the aforementioned case of players with $0 qualifying for the Semifinals. I may very well be mistaken, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

darkgreenblue wrote:

From KellyJ's Wildcard Cutoffs thread: http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... p?f=1&t=26

2003 ToC: Two contestants who finished with $0 got a wildcard (Eric Floyd with $9,000 pre-FJ! and Max Levaren with $7,600 pre-FJ!) with Mark Lee having the highest pre-FJ! score ($7,400) among the $0 finishers not to get a wildcard.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Also, what happened on the Carrie Bradshaw clue? That seemed liked a rush call.
I'm guessing that as Alex had just got done giving a first name only for the Parks clue, they really had no choice but to accept just Carrie.
I hadn't seen Parks & Rec, but I was familiar enough with the other four (Carrie Bradshaw, Coach, Dexter, and Starbuck) either from watching the show or knowing enough about it to either get them or could have got if I rang in in time, to know that they were all (except for Carrie and maybe Ron were I familiar with the show) single-named characters (ie they never had a stated last name, or the last name was stated very infrequently). I would think it would be unfair on those grounds to neg plain "Carrie" then.
boson wrote:I think the 16401 has a good chance of being enough to go through, though Jay did not look relieved after Tom's wager was revealed.
Normally it would be, but remember this is the TOC, part of the reason those people are in there is that they are savvy wagerers (it doesn't help that there's a plethora of boardies in there too). Jay may make it, but if he does ("if" he does), it'd be squeaking in.
MarkBarrett wrote:Put me in the gaucho club. I'm sure I had company.
There's one way to find out ... ;)
jpahk wrote:and maybe you should never go up against a sicilian when death is on the line.
OMG, Joon, I think I love you. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote:4
Ooh, sorry Joon, so close, but the Princess Bride quote we were looking for was "Never go in against a sicilian when death is on the line."
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

That "seeing-eye" wager on Tom Nissley's part immediately brought to mind for me the Final Jeopardy! bet placed by Kevin Marshall in his own Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game, from 2006. As Jay Rhee did in relation to Tom Nissley this time around, Aaron Thompson wagered to cover a Zero Bet on Kevin Marshall's part by one dollar, but Kevin Marshall beat the strategy by wagering two dollars, giving him the win by the thinnest possible margin.

Not everyone likes Daily Double hunting, I know, but I love it. I see Jeopardy! as reaching its greatest heights of competition most often when the players are tearing the board apart looking for Daily Doubles, and in a strong field like that featured in the Tournament of Champions, I consider seeking that edge to be a crucial element in earning victories. I believe that Daily Double hunting is actually one of the main reasons why the 2009 Tournament of Champions was such an exciting event.
lonesomeseagull
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lonesomeseagull »

I knew at the end of the first category that Tom was going to be hard to beat. Jay did nothing to help matters, either. At the end, I knew I was going to need some cash going into Final if I wanted to hit my target, so I decided to roll the dice. They did what dice do, and took money from a fool. On final, I knew Oslo wasn't with the Hanse back in the day, but I figured Oslo was better than Lima. It was fun, though not as much fun as winning. Basically, I ran into two guys who played a lot better than I did, for which I salute them.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jeff6286 wrote: This was a very good game for me. Having the TOC start out with a baseball category in the J! round and a TV category in the DJ! round was definitely a move in my favor from the writers. I picked up at least 4 triple stumpers: Honus Wagner, Ron Swanson, renegade, and SYD.

Wagner wasn't a triple stumper.