Tuesday, April 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:31 am

Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:27 pm

I'll just leave it at "Wow".

Instaget FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Andrew got 13 of the first 15 clues, including all of the first 10. I'm surprised they didn't call mercy at 11 or 12 like they did in some of the KJ games where he pulled off the same. How many categories did he run? Four?

Arugula was my only miss in the Vegetables category. I was just at the local supermarket and I can say with 100% certainty that they do not sell it there.

Ran Extinct Animals and First Name.

Walton = Arkansas was a stupid miss. That last name is just way too generic to register as a TOM for me.

TIL where the "I have a dream" speach was given.

I was not expecting two negs on "postcards", but they at least kinda made sense.

I was misfiring so bad on the Capitals category. I had the first three to my mouth, but they morphed into something else between my brain and mouth. At $400, I was thinking Havana + Nairobi but turned the former to Lima somehow; then Helsinki + Kiev somehow turned into Reykjavik + Kiev; then Canberra + Rabat became Canberra + Ankara. After that, I didn't know Ulanbataar or Manama -- heck, I've barely heard of Bahrain.

Second largest = cello over viola was negbait because who remembers the double bass, anyway? Then stupid me blanked on bagpipes after that. At least I got the Lach Trash on concertina to make up for it.

I, too, went for Newton. This was indeed a trap clue. I didn't know that Halley was British, or famous in any other way besides having that comet named for him.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm

What a great game by Andrew; congrats to him on his third win. I had 48 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Paavo Nurmi, Johnstown, and concertina. I also got FJ.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:36 pm

What a beatdown. I wonder what runs through a challenger's mind when the champ answers the first 10 or so clues by himself and you're 7K behind before you can even ring in successfully.

I was hoping Andrew would bet 20k on that Tuskegee DD, but that's easy to say when it's not my money :lol:

Instaget FJ.

mfc248

Post by mfc248 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:What a beatdown. I wonder what runs through a challenger's mind when the champ answers the first 10 or so clues by himself and you're 7K behind before you can even ring in successfully.

I was hoping Andrew would bet 20k on that Tuskegee DD, but that's easy to say when it's not my money :lol:

Instaget FJ.
Even $20K on that Daily Double wouldn't have put his lock at risk! Since Lindsay could have gotten to $7,600 if she'd gotten the last clue, Andrew could have wagered [39400 - (2 x 7600)] = 24200.

I believe Andrew is the first player to break $100,000 in his first three wins since Joon Pahk in 2011.

Had a feeling that Final wasn't Newton, but didn't make the connection to astronomy - ended up saying Faraday, despite being almost certain I was a century off.

A lot of people died in Jonestown, but less than half as many as Johnstown - although you could say that in both cases, the deaths were caused by a powerful liquid substance.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:04 pm

That was quite a performance and I don't think either challenger was a bad player, they just got picked on the wrong day.

I also wish he had gone even bigger on the capitals DD. That is a category that is easy if you know your capitals.

I had Newton for FJ. Makes me feel better Andrew had the same thing. Newton was all that came to mind, but something just didn't feel right. The bit about "returns" was obviously the key, but all I could come up with was a boomerang. :oops:

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Precall was Newton, but I went with Halley after a little mulling (although I pronounce his name with a long a, apparently incorrectly).

Very dominant performance.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:39 pm

econgator wrote:I'll just leave it at "Wow".
I'll just leave it at "Ditto".

And not having a clue as to what they were looking for, I went with Jenner.

ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Newton seemed too obvious so I precalled Joseph Priestly as he was the only other person I could think of who fit the category. Somehow I instantly got that the quote was referring to comets so Halley was easy from there.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:53 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:What a beatdown. I wonder what runs through a challenger's mind when the champ answers the first 10 or so clues by himself and you're 7K behind before you can even ring in successfully.
Hmmm...; "What's for lunch?!"

47R Another 'Newton?!' then DOH! LOL :oops:

LT: Concertina, Johnstown, Paavo Nurmi. Slim pickin's after the champ cleaned up not much left for the 4th! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Andrew has tied our own Rafferty Barnes for the highest minimum single-day winnings after three wins: $32,401 (Matt Handel won at least $17,001 in each of his three wins before the values were doubled). Jared Hall has the highest minimum after four and five wins, with $28,400 (and Frank Spangenberg's $15,000 is most likely the respective pre-doubling record).

ETA: On a related note, this is the first time that the winner has won more than $30,000 in four consecutive games outside of the eleven two times that it happened during Ken's run (Steve "OldSchoolChamp" Chernicoff and the aforementioned Matt Handel accomplished the pre-doubled equivalent across the first six games of Season 11, a streak that even Ken didn't match).

[edited for factual correction (the "eleven times" applied to winning at least $30,000)]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 pm

What a huge win that Friday's slugfest is turning out to be...total beatdown.

NHO Cave Bear.

Question for Andrew:
There are rarely games where you can comfortably aim for highest one-day total. So, are you disappointed that you didn't go for the record as you watch this game? The way the season is going - almost a certain TOC spot!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:13 pm

doihavetoreally wrote: NHO Cave Bear.
I didn't know it was an actual animal, but the clue referenced The Clan of the Cave Bear.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 pm

ron wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote: NHO Cave Bear.
I didn't know it was an actual animal, but the clue referenced The Clan of the Cave Bear.
Same here, that's how I got it.

pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:29 pm

This one was just a case of every single thing going my way. It felt amazing to be so completely in the zone for one game. I guess if I had been more of a gambler (or should we say an objectively correct wagerer), I would have fed off the momentum and wagered more on the Tuskegee DD, but I honestly didn't think I knew anything about fighter pilots. For one thing, I had sat through the game that Carter (I think?) won last week with the fighter jets (MiGs, etc.) and completely blanked out on the category.

On FJ, I couldn't come up with a single 18th-century British scientist in my mind other than Newton, so I just figured I'd turn my brain off and look ahead to the next game. I remember thinking "well, Alex, what exactly is this one-day record that you're saying I can break?" but I was never going to wager enough to get there.

It was quite amazing to be beating Hilary and Lindsey at the buzzer every time, after being at the receiving end of the same business in my first game with Margaret and McKinnie. It was like going from zero to hero within the space of 20 hours or so in real time, I still can't believe it.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:32 pm

pauerpoint wrote:This one was just a case of every single thing going my way. It felt amazing to be so completely in the zone for one game. I guess if I had been more of a gambler (or should we say an objectively correct wagerer), I would have fed off the momentum and wagered more on the Tuskegee DD, but I honestly didn't think I knew anything about fighter pilots. For one thing, I had sat through the game that Carter (I think?) won last week with the fighter jets (MiGs, etc.) and completely blanked out on the category.

On FJ, I couldn't come up with a single 18th-century British scientist in my mind other than Newton, so I just figured I'd turn my brain off and look ahead to the next game. I remember thinking "well, Alex, what exactly is this one-day record that you're saying I can break?" but I was never going to wager enough to get there.

It was quite amazing to be beating Hilary and Lindsey at the buzzer every time, after being at the receiving end of the same business in my first game with Margaret and McKinnie. It was like going from zero to hero within the space of 20 hours or so in real time, I still can't believe it.

It was a jaw-droppingly impressive game to watch, Andrew. We were cheering with the studio audience as you ran all those categories, especially those merged capitals. Outstanding play.

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Wow +++++, Andrew. A superlative performance. You seemed so dialed-in on the buzzer in this game; what was your technique (timing/wait for lights/etc.) ?