Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Spain at $400? That doesn't exactly strike me as the furthest south of anything.
Do they have maps where you live, or do you have to drive to Saginaw to look at one?

pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Thank you all. I wonder if I would have gotten bleachers if I'd tried hard enough, but as somebody else pointed out, with nothing on the line, there's really no incentive. The board wasn't nearly as good for me this time, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was another runaway.

I didn't ring in on The Princess Diaries clue because I wasn't sure of the title of "this sequel". I still don't understand why "The Princess Diaries" (which is obviously not the sequel) was accepted as a correct answer.

I didn't know the answer for "Around the World" when I was watching just now, so imagine my surprise when onscreen me rang in and got it right. I am so puzzled right now, apparently retro me knew something that present me does not.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Spain at $400? That doesn't exactly strike me as the furthest south of anything.
Do they have maps where you live, or do you have to drive to Saginaw to look at one?
Um, wouldn't he need a map to get to Saginaw?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

pauerpoint wrote:I didn't know the answer for "Around the World" when I was watching just now, so imagine my surprise when onscreen me rang in and got it right. I am so puzzled right now, apparently retro me knew something that present me does not.
That must be surreal.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:What does that have to do specifically with baseball? Many sports have bleachers.

0% chance of coming up with this.
And you call yourself a Mets fan.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, Spain really is pretty far south. I always pictured it being a lot further north and considerably further from Africa for some reason.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

bpmod wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
bpmod wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
bpmod wrote:My mom went into labour on Labour Day. I am not a Virgo.

My sister's mom did the same thing. She's a Gemini. My brother's mom too. He's a Libra.

Does the spelling make a difference? Or am I missing something?

Brian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day
I'm not getting what the link is supposed to tell me. We celebrate Labour Day the very same day y'all celebrate Labor Day. Does the spelling make a difference?

Brian
I guess I am misunderstanding your point. If your mother goes into labor in the first week of September and you don't end up as a virgo, that is an absurdly long labor.
So, all the rest of her children become the sign that her new baby is? When my mom went into labour on Labour Day, I was not the baby she delivered.

That clue makes about as much sense as the following:

Your mother holds up a picture and says "This is my son." What is the name of the person in the picture?

If you are your mother's only son, then, yeah. But there was nothing in the clue saying that you were your mother's only child. Nor that you were the one born as a result of that labor.

Brian
Got it, I didn't think about that!

Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

grindcore wrote:Zed's Dead, Baby. Huh, must be a tribute to Canada!

This dude I swear to god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Precalled "Star Spangled Banner" -> Can in Third Word.
Ah, but do you know the last two words? :lol:

That woman didn't deserve to be on Jeopardy! The insurmountable champ from yesterday was indubitably catchable, and he didn't know the answer to final jeopardy.

But then Amanda
1) didn't know what year Nixon resigned. Mind you, they were only asking for the YEAR! When I saw the blank dateline, I thought they were going to ask the exact date, which I and probably 99% of J! contestants know.

2) blew her wager on the second daily double, which would have let her get over 50% of Andrew if she had bet correctly and then not done the next two things.

3) blew the phrasing on her second DD and

4) blew the eminently simple second DD

5) missed the very easy FJ.

By those five things, she snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. She didn't belong at that podium.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I precalled "Moby Dick" and naurae29 precalled the Bible / the Book of Genesis, but neither of those came up.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,600
39 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: taurus, juicer, 1974 (DD), The Maltese Falcon, The Postman Always Rings Twice (DD)

I've often wondered about the etymology of "bleachers" but have never bothered to look it up. Thanks for the info, J!

Teh-coom-see? Really?

50/50/90 for me on Leno/Letterman.
Sprinkles are for winners.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman: I was 5/5 in ALABAMA HISTORY. Does that make me an honorary citizen?

The third word of "The Star-Spangled Banner" is not "you?" "Jose, can you see...." is how I learned it.

The Maltese Falcon going 0/3 needs some kind of explanation from you, Andrew, please, or other boardies who did not get that one. I would love to know how the wires can misfire on that one.

For my wires misfiring I'm with another 1x champ:
BADuBois wrote:I thought benchwarmer for FJ.

I was wrong.

:-(
I had benchwarming. Normally it would really sting to lose and 8-in-a-row streak on a baseball clue, but tonight's type was more like one of those annoying word origin types from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2972

Even if the TOC were to get delayed all the way until May 2017 I would think 4x - $123,802 will not be surpassed enough times to be bounced. Congrats, Andrew.

Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:Bamaman: I was 5/5 in ALABAMA HISTORY. Does that make me an honorary citizen?
Probably means you two are related. :shock:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: 1) didn't know what year Nixon resigned. Mind you, they were only asking for the YEAR! When I saw the blank dateline, I thought they were going to ask the exact date, which I and probably 99% of J! contestants know.
Baloney. I grant you she should have known the year, but there's no way in hell 99% of Jeopardy contestants know the date.

arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

My Coryat tonight was 14600. Not a good night. Loved the Alabama History category, though.

Andrew is almost certainly a lock for the next ToC, no matter when it may be.

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

"That woman" has a name, try to use it.

pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

MarkBarrett wrote: The Maltese Falcon going 0/3 needs some kind of explanation from you, Andrew, please, or other boardies who did not get that one. I would love to know how the wires can misfire on that one.
Was that under "Pulp Fiction"? I don't remember anything about that category at all, not even that it ever came up. I think I was hungry and kind of thinking about lunch by the time we got there. I was quite lucky to be gifted a runaway game at a point where my concentration was really starting to fade.

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

floridagator wrote:
Ah, but do you know the last two words? :lol:

That woman didn't deserve to be on Jeopardy! The insurmountable champ from yesterday was indubitably catchable, and he didn't know the answer to final jeopardy.

But then Amanda
1) didn't know what year Nixon resigned. Mind you, they were only asking for the YEAR! When I saw the blank dateline, I thought they were going to ask the exact date, which I and probably 99% of J! contestants know.

2) blew her wager on the second daily double, which would have let her get over 50% of Andrew if she had bet correctly and then not done the next two things.

3) blew the phrasing on her second DD and

4) blew the eminently simple second DD

5) missed the very easy FJ.

By those five things, she snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. She didn't belong at that podium.

Can we play spot all the things wrong with this original post? I count 5.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, Spain really is pretty far south. I always pictured it being a lot further north and considerably further from Africa for some reason.

One can actually take a ferry to Africa from Spain. In fact, you can go to a Spanish enclave in Africa if you take a different ferry.

Moving on, abysmal game. And Oberlin College is an unusual college.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

You think I'd miss that FJ after getting this singleton in TD 290?
Ryno wrote: Singletons (-2)
Bleachers - dinghammer
Damn right I missed it.

Bleaching just never occurred to me as something the sun would do, and I definitely associate bleachers more with football than baseball for whatever reason.