Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Carpe Diem »

I wouldn't expect folks to know the day, maybe not even the month.
(Probably the only reason I do is that my sib was born on August 10, 1974.)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

bpmod wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:I didn't know the answer for "Around the World" when I was watching just now, so imagine my surprise when onscreen me rang in and got it right. I am so puzzled right now, apparently retro me knew something that present me does not.
That must be surreal.

Brian
"Surreal" is an understatement.
(Also surreal: yelling at oneself on TV to ring in on a TS.)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

skullturf wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Maybe this question plays easier or harder based on your home stadium. Wrigley has very popular bleachers, and the fans that sit there are bleacher bums, so this was pretty easy, but if they aren't regularly referred to at your field...
Yeah, I used to live about a ten-minute walk from Wrigley Field, and that probably made it easier for me.
Ah, that explains it for me as well.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

alietr wrote:
eureka wrote:
floridagator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Precalled "Star Spangled Banner" -> Can in Third Word.
Ah, but do you know the last two words? :lol:

That woman didn't deserve to be on Jeopardy! The insurmountable champ from yesterday was indubitably catchable, and he didn't know the answer to final jeopardy.

Can we play spot all the things wrong with this original post? I count 5.
And then multiply by a nasty quotient of 1.55. Let alone the fact that absent a few of those, she might have taken Andrew down. I'd call that a more-than-acceptable contestant.
I thought the guy in the middle was who people would be ranting about.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Carpe Diem wrote:I wouldn't expect folks to know the day, maybe not even the month.
(Probably the only reason I do is that my sib was born on August 10, 1974.)
I watched him on tv. So I knew it cold.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Silverfox wrote:I watched him on tv.
I know it's true. Oh, so true.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He announced he was resigning on August 8 but did not officially leave office until the next day. So I imagine if they did answer for the exact day we'd have a big argument as to which day he actually resigned.

I agree the year should be something you need to know going into a trivia competition where presidents is expected to come up a lot. Other than March 4 or January 20, I doubt they'd ever expect us to know an exact day someone entered or left office.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:He announced he was resigning on August 8 but did not officially leave office until the next day. So I imagine if they did answer for the exact day we'd have a big argument as to which day he actually resigned.

I agree the year should be something you need to know going into a trivia competition where presidents is expected to come up a lot. Other than March 4 or January 20, I doubt they'd ever expect us to know an exact day someone entered or left office.
I'd think November 22 might be an exception. I also know who died on April 15 since that's also the tax filing deadline. April 4 should be a no-brainer for William Henry Harrison if you remember his one month term, but I suspect more people remember that as the date of MLK's assassination.
OCSam
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Carpe Diem wrote:
skullturf wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Maybe this question plays easier or harder based on your home stadium. Wrigley has very popular bleachers, and the fans that sit there are bleacher bums, so this was pretty easy, but if they aren't regularly referred to at your field...
Yeah, I used to live about a ten-minute walk from Wrigley Field, and that probably made it easier for me.
Ah, that explains it for me as well.
I used to live a little bit east and south of Wrigley Field. South of Addison, east of Broadway. "Rocks" was my local bar and I used to go there all the time.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:He announced he was resigning on August 8 but did not officially leave office until the next day. So I imagine if they did answer for the exact day we'd have a big argument as to which day he actually resigned.
This is what I wanted to say. I have a friend whose birthday is "the day Nixon resigned," so I can never remember if his birthday is the 8th or the 9th.
It doesn't seem likely that scorch dates only from the 19th C. (it's from the 14th), but at about :25 I thought maybe scorcher does, and that's what I scrawled. It turns out that, according to dictionary.com, it is from the 19th C., and its use in baseball dates from about 1900...(not referring to seats, obviously) :(
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I didn't think there was a debate:

Nixon's resignation speech, delivered August 8, 1974:
Richard Nixon wrote:I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow.
Nixon's resignation letter, dated August 9, 1974:
Richard Nixon wrote:I hereby resign the Office of President of the United States
On the 8th he said he would do it (used the future tense in that speech), but he hadn't done it yet, it wasn't "effective" until (apparently) that resignation letter was initialled. Which, if the "noon tomorrow" meant that Ford was sworn in at the stroke of 12, the US didn't have a president for 25 minutes.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Plus he made a speech again on the day he resigned. That was the heartfelt speech about his family. Not sure why anybody would be confused about the actual date.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
Richard Nixon wrote:I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow.
See, I couldn't remember the exact date but I could tell you he pronounced "effective" as "effecteeve." :)
harkina
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by harkina »

There was a repeat question in here. Jeopardy! Round, the $400 clue is nearly the same as Kidz Week 2011 Game 5 "I Need Some Space" DD. I only noticed, because that question cost me $5000 when I was playing.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

harkina wrote:There was a repeat question in here. Jeopardy! Round, the $400 clue is nearly the same as Kidz Week 2011 Game 5 "I Need Some Space" DD. I only noticed, because that question cost me $5000 when I was playing.
Now that you mention it, I remember.

Welcome to JBoard, Tony!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Rifle -> BB gun is one of the most bogus BMSes I've ever seen in my life. Everything I've checked says that a BB gun is in no way related to a rifle.
Air rifle is probably what they are expecting after BMSing 'rifle'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
brick

Post by brick »

Carpe Diem wrote:
bpmod wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:I didn't know the answer for "Around the World" when I was watching just now, so imagine my surprise when onscreen me rang in and got it right. I am so puzzled right now, apparently retro me knew something that present me does not.
That must be surreal.

Brian
"Surreal" is an understatement.
(Also surreal: yelling at oneself on TV to ring in on a TS.)
That's funny! Had to share it with my family.
davey

Post by davey »

An oddity: This episode aired this morning on WABC in NY, at 4 AM, and recorded on my DVR as a new episode, even though WABC doesn't even air repeats.