Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7283, 2016-04-20

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Richards, a music teacher from Macon, Georgia
Nikhil Damle, an attorney from Torrance, California
Andrew Pau, an assistant professor from Amherst, Ohio (whose 3-day cash winnings total $105,202)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Well, he's a teacher at Oberlin college in Ohio. And with an average of $35,000 per victory so far, I'm sure he's making the folks back there feel very, very proud of him. But Nikhil, Amanda, it could happen to you, as well. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALABAMA HISTORY (5/5)
WHAT'S YOUR SIGN? (3/5)
THE THIRD WORD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPACECRAFT TYPES (3/5)
MY WIFE! (5/5)
THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES (5/5) (Jimmy: A treasure trove of the artifacts behind some of the world's most beloved entertainment.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amanda: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Nikhil: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Andrew had $4,200, Nikhil was in the red with -$400, and Amanda was at $1,200. Andrew wagered $1,800.

THE THIRD WORD $800: ...of "A Tale of Two Cities"
(Alex: Yes, "It was [*] best of times, it was [*] worst of times.")

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $6,000
Amanda: $2,200
Nikhil: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Music is a subject that connects two of our players on the program today. Amanda Richards, you are a music teacher.

Amanda: Yes, sir.

Alex: And you teach a special choir. I'd like to hear about it.

Amanda: I do. It's called the Taylor County Children's Choir. It's made of, um, 85 elementary schoolers.

Alex: What grades? How old are they?

Amanda: Third through six. And we've been around two years. We sing a whole bunch of different types of stuff. We've done Broadway, Disney songs. We did an all Beatles concert and we did--

Alex: You do foreign languages also.

Amanda: We do. In the past two years, we've done six different languages--English, Spanish, Hebrew, um, Latin, Japanese, and Zulu.

Alex: You should go on tour.

Amanda: [Laughs] Yeah, we plan to.

Alex: Okay, all right.

Alex: Nikhil Damle from Torrance, California, is an attorney who could've gotten himself into trouble because he accidentally did something that sounds like the trouble might have been really big.
What did you do?

Nikhil: Um, I, uh, as part of the law school, um, you apply to perhaps seek a clerkship with a judge. And I, uh, I ended up sending a letter to a lot of judges. A cover letter that was really nicely written. And then, I, uh, forgot to change the placeholder. I didn't know the name of the judge. So I put a placeholder in there for a friend who was--I was hoping he'd laugh at it, he'd review it, and then give it back to me. And I forgot to change the placeholder.

Alex: And what was the placeholder?

Nikhil: "Dear idiot," so...

[Laughter]

Alex: Were you hired by any one of these judges?

Nikhil: No. No, no.

[Laughter]

Alex: Stuff happens.

Nikhil: It does.

Alex: All right, Andrew Pau, we keep introducing you as an assistant professor from Oberlin College. And you teach music?

Andew: Music theory, yes, Alex.

Alex: Which means what exactly? You're dealing with young composers?

Andew: Uh, no, uh, it's a required course in the conservatory of music. And it--you can think of it as basically, like, grammar of music, how music is put together. Uh, harmony, form, that kind of thing.

Alex: So you'd be talking about Schoenberg and some others like--

Andrew: We could potentially.

Alex: Yeah? Okay. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S YOUR SIGN? $400: Add an "N" to the end of this sign & you get a type of animal

WHAT'S YOUR SIGN? $1000: The name of this sign begins with the 19th letter of the Greek alphabet

SPACECRAFT TYPES $400: This term for vehicles like those used in the Mercury program sounds like a small dose of medicine
(Amanda: What is a pill?)

SPACECRAFT TYPES $600: The first stage of a rocket

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $9,000
Amanda: $3,800
Nikhil: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AT THE OLD BALL GAME

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word dates back to the 19th century & referred to what the sun did to roofless seating

Andrew Pau: 18600-0=18600 (4x = $123,802)
Nikhil Damle: 400+399=799
Amanda Richards: 7100-6300=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
bleachers (Andrew - scorch) (Amanda - had nothing but a scratch out and told Alex she would have been going for nosebleeds)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 4200+1800
Amanda: 10600-4500
Amanda: 8100-1000

Coryats
Andrew: 17600
Nikhil: 400
Amanda: 12600

Combined: 30,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

Zed's Dead, Baby. Huh, must be a tribute to Canada!

This dude I swear to god.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least Amanda made the proper wager in FJ.

Bleachers never came to me, tried to make something out of grandstands, wound up with Andrew's response.

Went 4/5 in Alabama history, didn't get Tecumsah.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Andrew had $4200 when finding the first round DD is a category that required no thought. Only wagers $1800. Just not sure how a contestant who obviously knows how easy the category is cannot take full advantage. Oh well.

But it doesn't hold a candle to Amanda given a chance to win the game on the seemingly penultimate clue only to politely decline. Oh no, I don't like the category, so why try to win? There are plenty of contestants who would play to win given the chance, please offer one of them a spot over somebody "just happy to be there".

But then strangely enough, she made the perfect FJ wager. As did Andrew and another well-played game.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

She didn't even bet enough to.....forget it. After that 1974 miss it didn't really matter.

Instaget FJ. I genuinely thought this was an easy triple get, but once again I have no ability to judge sports clues.

EDIT: I also have no ability to properly interpret clues, because I read that one TS as "beach device" and spent the next 8 seconds trying to figure out what the beach had to do with carrots :oops:
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What does that have to do specifically with baseball? Many sports have bleachers.

0% chance of coming up with this.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Andrew on another excellent win. I had 46 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Scorpio, Taurus, capsule, booster, zeros/Eros, faze/fae, juicer, guitar, and electromotive force. I also got FJ.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

“Voice Leading as Harmonic Determinant in Atonal Music” by Dr. Andrew Pau sounds like an interesting paper.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Oh Amanda.

Congrats Andrew.. Those runaways help with no get on FJ.

Its been a long long time since I heard coloumb. Blurted out Ampere.

I peeked at FJ on Web and had no idea. I looked at it a few hours later and it was instaget. Don't like these FJ clues.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

My mom went into labour on Labour Day. I am not a Virgo.

My sister's mom did the same thing. She's a Gemini. My brother's mom too. He's a Libra.

Does the spelling make a difference? Or am I missing something?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

Props to Amanda for getting Hüsker Dü!

Also surprised that FJ was not a triple get.
Similar minds think alike.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had never consciously thought about the etymology of the term "bleachers" before. I managed to get it in time, by thinking of terms for different types of seats. I think the word "nosebleeds" came to my mind first.

Great game once again by Andrew.

Andrew gets to add himself to the list of contestants who have said their own name as a correct response, if "Julie Andrews" counts.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

bpmod wrote:My mom went into labour on Labour Day. I am not a Virgo.

My sister's mom did the same thing. She's a Gemini. My brother's mom too. He's a Libra.

Brian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day

I was surprised that that was not a triple get, but if you have a lock and you have bet $0, its probably worth it to just chill out. That last DD wager was, of course, really sad.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OSXpert wrote:

Brian
I'm not getting what the link is supposed to tell me. We celebrate Labour Day the very same day y'all celebrate Labor Day. Does the spelling make a difference?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I thought benchwarmer for FJ.

I was wrong.

:-(
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Let's do My Wife for $600" amused the 12-year-old in me.

Lach trash: Scorpio and Taurus. Didn't get Virgo in that category because outside Pisces = March, I can never match signs to months no matter how hard I try.

Precalled "Star Spangled Banner" -> Can in Third Word.

Wasn't expecting the Disney category to be live action, and ended up with a goose-egg there. I said Princess Bride for Princess Diaries at $200, and outright NHO Shaggy Dog.

FINALLY matched Montgomery to the bus boycott. Dunno why that city so constantly eludes me when I have to go digging for Alabama clues.

There are TYPES of spacecraft?! A space station is considered a spacecraft? So is a rocket?!? That whole category was completely byzantine to me.

WLT Spain at $400? That doesn't exactly strike me as the furthest south of anything.

All but Hustle in Lyrics, surprisingly. I knew "Tequila" because I kept hearing it over the speakers at the McDonald's I worked at, and used Shazam to figure out what song it was.

Rifle -> BB gun is one of the most bogus BMSes I've ever seen in my life. Everything I've checked says that a BB gun is in no way related to a rifle.

Note to self: learn how electricity works already. I was completely clueless in that category.

NHO The Big Sleep, but somehow got The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I was completely lost on FJ! I never would've gotten bleachers because I don't think of those as a baseball thing. To me, bleachers are for basketball, football, track and field, but at every baseball game I've ever seen, the people were in freaking SEATS.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

bpmod wrote:
OSXpert wrote:

Brian
I'm not getting what the link is supposed to tell me. We celebrate Labour Day the very same day y'all celebrate Labor Day. Does the spelling make a difference?

Brian
I guess I am misunderstanding your point. If your mother goes into labor in the first week of September and you don't end up as a virgo, that is an absurdly long labor.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OSXpert wrote:
bpmod wrote:
OSXpert wrote:

Brian

Brian
I guess I am misunderstanding your point. If your mother goes into labor in the first week of September and you don't end up as a virgo, that is an absurdly long labor.
So, all the rest of her children become the sign that her new baby is? When my mom went into labour on Labour Day, I was not the baby she delivered.

That clue makes about as much sense as the following:

Your mother holds up a picture and says "This is my son." What is the name of the person in the picture?

If you are your mother's only son, then, yeah. But there was nothing in the clue saying that you were your mother's only child. Nor that you were the one born as a result of that labor.

ETA: Incidentally, I responded "Leo" and am counting it as correct. I would have done the same thing on the show.

Brian