Teachers Tournament 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by Winchell Factor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:05 pm

alietr wrote:Crap. Every time I glance over at your avatar, Vaughn, I think Sarah joined the Board. Sigh.
Oh, sorry. I've been trying to coax her onto Twitter, and even that hasn't been easy.

User avatar
bennettteach
Contributor
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 am

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by bennettteach » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi! First time posting here. I'm playing in the Friday Teacher Tournament game. I'm looking forward to seeing Jill and all the others, as I was in the green room with the final three and had no idea what had happened throughout the "week".
Winchell Factor wrote:
JillyJill wrote:We all got $2500 grants from Farmers Insurance. We each explain how we're going to use the grants in the individual videos.

Mine is really brief because I had to redo it and the second time, the thrill was gone.
Jilly Jill, I thought a number of the teachers seemed...IDK, unprepared to talk about what they were going to do with the grant from Farmers. Did they spring the news of those grants on you late in the run-up to the tournament, or anything?
Before the interviews, we all had to do commercial spots (sort of like Hometown Howdies) where we talked about what we were going to do with our grant. The details we gave for the commercial were short--mine was something like "create, revise, and publish a 21st century literary magazine." I think going into more details off the cuff plus the strangeness of having a stranger ask us question with a boom mic pointed up at me from below (I accidentally punched it one time) made it an unusual situation.


Anyway, hope everyone watches all week! (It's JBoard, so of course you will).

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Johnblue wrote:Oh, not a chance of that happening! As for TCONA, I'm less likely to go if the old gang doesn't show up. It felt like we were an island of normalcy in an ocean of intensity.
I'll be there. Of course, I'm probably more like an enclave of ridiculousness on that island of normalcy. :D
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by cf1140 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm already booked for TCONA6 and am going regardless of whether the "old gang" shows up.

kaberi
Valued Contributor
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by kaberi » Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 am

Hi Jill and Cory! Good to see you here.

Haven't quite figured out the quoting thing yet, but as regards the Farmers videos, it's my understanding that there were one or two teachers w,ho were still unsure of how they were going to spend the grant at the time of taping. I personally felt comfortable talking about how to spend the grant, but I found that when answering some of the other questions, I had to give them a moment's thought, which caused me to look from one side to the other, the way one does sometimes when trying to recall something. As a result, my one video makes it appear that I am talking about my teaching career while watching a tennis match. Lovely.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6915
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by alietr » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am

Having attended the matches in DC, I will say it's weird knowing the outcomes, but not what happened to get them there. That is all I'm going to say on the matter.

User avatar
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 2:35 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by JillyJill » Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 am

alietr wrote:Having attended the matches in DC, I will say it's weird knowing the outcomes, but not what happened to get them there. That is all I'm going to say on the matter.
Did you watch the semifinals or the finals, out of curiosity?

It's weird for me, too, having been sequestered in the green room watching "Princess Bride" at full volume to drown out noises from the stage during Monday and Tuesday's games.

[Alietr says: I spoilerized the next paragraph which has Monday's result]
Spoiler
Show
My mom watched all the rounds and was particularly impressed with Chris. :) So it was fun to see the first game! Lauren was beaten to the buzzer again and again but still performed very well! I sat with Dianne on the bus ride to the studio and she was a truly wonderful woman and dedicated teacher, exactly who you'd want your fourth-grade student to have. She also had a great banter back and forth with Maggie. I felt bad for her about the HP question. Having lived through something similar, all I can say is that under the pressure of a Daily Double, your mind leaps in relief to an answer. My guess is that Dianne recognized HP and was so relieved she went with her first thought. It was not the difference in the game, in any case.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6915
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by alietr » Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am

JillyJill wrote:
alietr wrote:Having attended the matches in DC, I will say it's weird knowing the outcomes, but not what happened to get them there. That is all I'm going to say on the matter.
Did you watch the semifinals or the finals, out of curiosity?

It's weird for me, too, having been sequestered in the green room watching "Princess Bride" at full volume to drown out noises from the stage during Monday and Tuesday's games.
I saw both the semifinals and the finals.

User avatar
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 2:35 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by JillyJill » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 am

alietr wrote:
JillyJill wrote:
alietr wrote:Having attended the matches in DC, I will say it's weird knowing the outcomes, but not what happened to get them there. That is all I'm going to say on the matter.
Did you watch the semifinals or the finals, out of curiosity?

It's weird for me, too, having been sequestered in the green room watching "Princess Bride" at full volume to drown out noises from the stage during Monday and Tuesday's games.
I saw both the semifinals and the finals.
I see. And thanks for the spoilerizing! ;)

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Tue May 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Another note for those who hate spoilers: There is a local news article where the contestant basically says "I can't say how I did, but I did make it to the second week of taping in D.C." I can't really be more specific what paper it was or who said it without giving away the result, so maybe just avoid reading any press for this week.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8774
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Teachers Tournament 2016

Post by dhkendall » Tue May 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Another note for those who hate spoilers: There is a local news article where the contestant basically says "I can't say how I did, but I did make it to the second week of taping in D.C." I can't really be more specific what paper it was or who said it without giving away the result, so maybe just avoid reading any press for this week.
Considering the press I do read is full of Trump and Cruz and Clinton and Kardashian and Kanye, that's good advice all the time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Post Reply