Monday, April 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.
alamble wrote: Kobe (Bryant) and Kyrie (Irving) are both very famous NBA players. Nike is well known for working with playersto design their shoes.
SlickRick87 wrote: Adidas and other manufacturers do the same.

Nike is probably the $200 response there, but I did say Adidas :?
It's a top level clue, all the question is asking is "name the most famous athletic shoe". People have to stop over thinking top row clues.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Weird. My listings show the Teachers Tournament starting today.
I knew there was something else I wanted to mention.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Me, too. Teacher's Tournament Week 1. My PVR software uses zap2it.

Correction: It's Teachers Tournament Week 1, no apostrophe.
Last edited by cosmos on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.
alamble wrote: Kobe (Bryant) and Kyrie (Irving) are both very famous NBA players. Nike is well known for working with playersto design their shoes.

It's a top level clue, all the question is asking is "name the most famous athletic shoe". People have to stop over thinking top row clues.
I had no idea what shoe Kobe wears, but Nike seemed a logical guess.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

+1 for Teacher's Tourney listed, +1 for Adidas. Not overthinking, that *was* the most famous athletic shoe company to me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Whereas to me, Nike, Reebok, and Adidas are about the same.

You might even say they're on...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...equal footing.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Whereas to me, Nike, Reebok, and Adidas are about the same.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...equal footing.
Which one do you think of first when doing word association? If it's a top row clue, that's probably the right answer.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Forgive me for being confused, but I recall movies were shot on rolls of film, not reels. The audio recording was referred to as sound, not dialog, at least based on my limited experience. Slating recorded roll, scene and take.
davey

Post by davey »

cosmos wrote:Forgive me for being confused, but I recall movies were shot on rolls of film, not reels. The audio recording was referred to as sound, not dialog, at least based on my limited experience. Slating recorded roll, scene and take.
Wikipedia suggests that it happened during the sound editing process, which makes sense, I don't think "slating" would occur at that stage.

The name is said to derive from when Lucas was making one of his earlier films, American Graffiti. Sound editor Walter Murch states that he is responsible for the utterance which sparked the name for the droid. Murch asked for Reel 2, Dialog Track 2, in the abbreviated form "R-2-D-2".

All I could come up with for FJ was "miracle cure"...metaphors weren't coming... :cry:
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:It's not applicable for today's episode, but I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who played Jerry Vinokurov. We know you tried.

RIP
Huh? I'm confused. Is there something that we didn't hear on? :?
Basically, Jerry Vinokourov:Matt Jackson::Matt Jackson:his first 26 opponents. I don't think anyone actually died. BRD-98 was just using a figure of speech. Of course, there is the small possibility that Jerry will turn into one of the great quizzers who doesn't do well on the show, but I'd give that the same level of odds as I would of Nancy Zerg beating Ken Jennings in a rematch.

EDIT: Okay, that analogy was a little hyperbolic. Jerry is pretty much at the same level or slightly better than Matt Jackson, but I still stand by that last sentence.
This. Sorry if I was a little obscure, lol. As far as I know, no J! player has been *physically* harmed while playing Jerry, but mentally? Not so sure...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:Which one do you think of first when doing word association? If it's a top row clue, that's probably the right answer.
I thought of all three at the same time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote:Hmm, I thought the first English king named Edward was Edward the Confessor, a couple of centuries before Edward I. Of course, some believe English history began after the Normans invaded :lol:
And others believe that's when it ended! :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Whereas to me, Nike, Reebok, and Adidas are about the same.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...equal footing.
Nice!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote:Guess the writers finally figured out many contestants don't know sports, so they did their best to write today's QB clues in such a way that they were unmissable if you know a tiny amount about college sports and not even just football.
I was waiting for this category to fully judge Buzzy. It played last in the J! round. Suspicions were aroused. Hurricanes = Miami and Ducks = Oregon. I said aloud after Buzzy got those, "That doesn't mean anything" about his sports knowledge.

Jeanne got Nebraska. Proves nothing as Lincoln is a giveaway. $800 was Tiger Deshaun Watson. Aha, that will prove something as I rang in with Clemson. As I finished it hit me that it could have been Auburn for all I knew. Before it officially became a TS I also thought of LSU.

And then the dead giveaway. $1000: 2006: Troy Smith, perfect against arch-rival Michigan
Buzzy's Michigan St. to rebound for Andrew with The Ohio St. had me wishing for that to be the difference in the end. Not to be. Buzzy cleanly outplayed Andrew building up a nice (not insurmountable) lead converting all of the Daily Doubles.

The FJ! category was the Taylor Swift song, "I Knew You Were Trouble". The clue proved it as I had nothing better to write than Ben Gay. I pictured it as hyphenated and eliminated the mark to at least get two words. I looked after the show and discovered it is now (since 1995) Bengay.

Even with multiple choice I can't guarantee I get snake oil. Just not my kind of clue even though I'm familiar with the term from TV shows and movies set in the 1800s.

Well done by the players to go 3/3 on a category that had me thinking advantage trailer.

Interesting to see the earlier posts in the thread about a potential black hat ringer tomorrow. Can't wait to see the game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,800
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Clemson

Another great game, although my wife and I were both audibly upset when Buzzy chose to go the Full McNitt on that last DD.
Golf wrote:

True enough, but this was one where a little knowledge was a dangerous thing. Kobe was with adidas from 1996-2001.
Sprinkles are for winners.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.
Reebok is named after a type of antelope. (The Afrikaans spelling of the rhebok.)
Adidas is named after its founder, Adolf "Adi" Dassler.
Nike is named after the goddess of victory. The statue "Winged Victory (or Nike) of Samothrace" in the Louvre is one of the most famous statues in the world. Ever wonder why it's pronounced "NYE-key" instead of just "nyk"? It's because it comes from the Greek.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My DVR listed this as a Teacher's Tournament game so I was pleasantly surprised to get more Andrew -- and even more pleasantly surprised to be treated to an exciting, well-played game. We have had several of these here of late.

We need more sports categories!! I ran the football category and got 4 of the 2000 clues correct in DJ, which is pretty good for me. Missed FJ, tho, so I ended with tail between legs.
Oona

Post by Oona »

BRD-98 wrote:It's not applicable for today's episode, but I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who played Jerry Vinokurov. We know you tried.

RIP
I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen or read anything about any Jeopardy murders but I guess the TV News reporters have their hands full with the Kelly Ripa crisis.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

RIP
Anyone else think Jerry looks a tad like Wil Wheaton on Big Bang Theory?
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Agree on Wil Wheaton resemblance.

I take it people don't like the Teachers Tournament.

Why?
Is it -
A) Questions are too easy?
B) Full of unskilled players?
C) Doesn't have a daily champion that moves on?
D) Other

Colby Burnett commented on my FB page that people always think the Teachers Tournament winner is a pushover in the TOC. He certainly was not.