Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:I can see how to get to Leeward if I thought more about the "sous" part of the name, but I thought this was pretty difficult and a coin flip at best without some knowledge of the languages.
Even that doesn't help comletely. "Sous" is beneath or under, so I can still see how "beneath the wind" could take you to the Windward Isles (especially as the Windward are south of the Leeward).
Count me as a landlubber who could figure out the French - it was the English I had trouble with! (I can never get port and starboard straight either.)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I responded with "civil service" on the Truman desegregation clue. Any chance of that being accepted? Truman did sign an executive order for fair employment in the federal establishment on the same day he desegregated the military. I got them mixed up.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:I can see how to get to Leeward if I thought more about the "sous" part of the name, but I thought this was pretty difficult and a coin flip at best without some knowledge of the languages.
Even that doesn't help comletely. "Sous" is beneath or under, so I can still see how "beneath the wind" could take you to the Windward Isles (especially as the Windward are south of the Leeward).
Count me as a landlubber who could figure out the French - it was the English I had trouble with! (I can never get port and starboard straight either.)
Port and left have 4 letters.

Or ... it was originally starboard and larboard. Larboard and left both start with "L".
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Leander wrote:I went with the vent=windward islands. I can see how to get to Leeward if I thought more about the "sous" part of the name, but I thought this was pretty difficult and a coin flip at best without some knowledge of the languages.
My thought process exactly.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Only playing FJ from website as I missed the game.
Never ever have I come across those Spanish or French terms. Put Philippines just to have something. How anyone with no language background got this is beyond me and quite impressive.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:No chance on FJ!, though. I am familiar with "windward" and "leeward" as terms but NHO those two island groups.
Same here. My translation went something like, "Under the... window?" Not that getting "wind" right would have helped.

I was already 4/4 for this week (counting Sports J!), so I was bound to bomb FJ tonight or tomorrow. I'm just glad it was something I'd never heard of rather than something I knew but couldn't recall -- those are the most frustrating.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I wrote down "What is Underwind Island?" I need to bone up on my geography, but my french is fine.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Buzzy knew enough French to solve the FJ! clue, but what would be his score from 1-10 on his pronunciation of Champs-Elysees? Or Heather's Montmartre?

With a name like Buzzy and a likely spot in the TOC he has earned the right to do the brush off da shoulder. Now he just needs to learn things like the All Star Game instead of standing there clueless on such material spotted a head start on it.

The FJ! clue had me using my limited recall of 2 years of high school French to do sous = under. From there I had nothing. I wrote Solomon to have something starting with S. A geographical translation clue does not have my name written on it.

So much for my prediction of a J! favorite in the FJ! round again. I was way off with no leeway.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dinghammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:No chance on FJ!, though. I am familiar with "windward" and "leeward" as terms but NHO those two island groups.
Same here. My translation went something like, "Under the... window?" Not that getting "wind" right would have helped.
Ha! That was my translation as well.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dinghammer wrote:
Close ... window is fenetre.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Alex comes out onto the stage and imitates the move the contestant did in their intro

DRINK
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I wonder if, for "ALL" $800 (?) that just "baseball" would suffice, as the all star game is also a baseball game. (I'm guessing it'd be BMS'ed.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Didn't know Canada or Japan had any involvement in space.
This is the Canadarm, Canada's biggest contribution to space exploration (and a godsend to many an astronaut, so a significant one):

(Full disclosure, I answered Japan remembering that they built part of the ISS. Forgot about my home and native land.)
opusthepenguin wrote:All kinds of fun today. Where to start?

I wish my video editing skills were better. I'd make a supercut of Buzzy moments in old-timey black and white with a music hall piano bed and title cards that say things like, OH NO! I THINK I'M ABOUT TO LOSE.
OMG, someone do this *right now*. PLEASE! I BEG YOU! Here, I'll even help - I know that iMovie can give you the black and white grainy feel as an option for movies, and you can get ragtime-like music, royalty-free, here. Hell, if I had the time (far, far from it), I'd do it myself.
econgator wrote:
As long as it's not "against the wind". That's the Îles Seeger.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dinghammer wrote:
In Spanish, it's ventana.
dhkendall wrote:I wonder if, for "ALL" $800 (?) that just "baseball" would suffice, as the all star game is also a baseball game. (I'm guessing it'd be BMS'ed.)
I said baseball and counted it as correct. It fits every element of the clue and category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
At first I thought you were referring to the last clue in the category, then I remembered "last" was in the category. Nevertheless, I'm compelled to say I correctly guessed bitters for the last clue because it was the only possible response for "a few drops of these" (plural emphasis mine).
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.

I guessed Windward Islands, with a vague sense they might exist. I don't think I would have been able to similarly pull Leeward out like that, but accidentally translating sous as "on" eliminated any chance of my doing so.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?

I guessed Windward Islands, with a vague sense they might exist. I don't think I would have been able to similarly pull Leeward out like that, but accidentally translating sous as "on" eliminated any chance of my doing so.
With regards to "Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering" I added "that you might see on Pluto".

I'm also with you on FJ!. I got from the French that it was "under the wind" or "beneath the wind" but my French wasn't deep enough to pull it out. I was left on the wrong side of the boat. And thus ends an 18 game FJ! streak.

As for starboard/port, when you're the son of USCG CDR JFM, you learn that distinction quickly. But sometimes knowing starboard and port isn't enough, depending on context. Sailing once with CDR JFM, Mrs. OS was at the helm and was told to take an upcoming buoy to starboard. She went to the right side of the buoy (and not putting it on the starboard side of the boat) and had to endure a bit of teasing from my dad.
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dinghammer wrote:
It's actually 'fenêtre', and the 'êt' usually is associated with words in English where it is pronounced 'est'. Fenêtre thus is used in English in the word 'defenestrate'.
BobF

Post by BobF »

So for the first time all week, I actually had the time to sit and watch Jeopardy! I had given blood, the weather was crappy, perfect conditions for vegging in front of the TV.

But NOOOOO, this happened at the station that normally airs Jeopardy! in my area and they go with continuous news coverage of it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

I do have to admit, it was an entertaining news story - for about 10 minutes. But the wall-to-wall coverage of it was ridiculous.

Oh, yeah, and my years of doing crossword puzzles helped me get this FJ!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:It's actually 'fenêtre'
I know. I'm just too lazy to look for the accent code. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:It's actually 'fenêtre'
I know. I'm just too lazy to look for the accent code. :)
I wasn't criticizing; in this case it made a difference in what I wanted to point out. Carry on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.