Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
TPH, my man, we know you like to shout from the rooftops about what you have NHO, and that's fine. But just say it once and get it over with. Your constant justifications for not knowing stuff make for exasperating reading.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Scattering?!

You do leave the house once in a while, right?
brick

Post by brick »

Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Scattering?!

Take $20 and go sit at a bar. Listen to the orders and watch what the bartender puts in the drinks. Read the drink menu! It often notes ingredients. No matter how many times you do this, or at what time of the day, as long as it is for your education you are NOT a degenerate reprobate.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Welp, I freely translated the FJ clue to "under the wind," put 2+2 together (French + Spanish) and quite confidently answered Balearics. FAIL. Buzzy complements some good gets with intelligent wagers for the most part (too timid on his DD wagers though).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)
GMTA!
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I got FJ, but after seeing what Andy Saunders put on his blog, this seems like a poorly crafted FJ clue.
:this:
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Scattering?!
If that's too complicated, you can ignore the scattering part and try to answer something on Earth that's blue that Pluto also has.
brick

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote:My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)
This is about where I was too.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Archivists wrote: Buzzy: Yep. So we find songs for commercials or write songs for commercials.

Alex: Now there was a marvelous--I can't even remember what the commercial was, but the Hawaiian singer who sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". And don't ask me to pronounce his name off the top of my head right now. But that's the kind of thing you would select.
Another trip to Trebekistan...I never heard that variant two weeks ago, but it was practically on a loop when I was in HI.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
And the problem with that is...? I could say the same about Country Music categories. I don't, but I could.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
Archivists wrote: Buzzy: Yep. So we find songs for commercials or write songs for commercials.

Alex: Now there was a marvelous--I can't even remember what the commercial was, but the Hawaiian singer who sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". And don't ask me to pronounce his name off the top of my head right now. But that's the kind of thing you would select.
Another trip to Trebekistan...I never heard that variant two weeks ago, but it was practically on a loop when I was in HI.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
And the problem with that is...? I could say the same about Country Music categories. I don't, but I could.
Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

brick wrote:Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.
His version in 50 First Dates got me looking into his music which I am now quite into. Facing Future is a tremendous album. Still can't pronounce his last name though!
brick

Post by brick »

Golf wrote:
brick wrote:Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.
His version in 50 First Dates got me looking into his music which I am now quite into. Facing Future is a tremendous album. Still can't pronounce his last name though!
This clip of the announcement of his death on local TV includes the correct pronunciation several times. Kamakawiwo'ole comes out roughly Kamaka viva olay

Oh, and it's all the same recording. He died in '97.

https://youtu.be/gIDXkUZ9kns
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Scattering?!

Take $20 and go sit at a bar. Listen to the orders and watch what the bartender puts in the drinks. Read the drink menu! It often notes ingredients. No matter how many times you do this, or at what time of the day, as long as it is for your education you are NOT a degenerate reprobate.
Based on what he has said about the dining options in his town, do you think the local watering holes sell many cosmopolitans?
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
brick wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
Based on what he has said about the dining options in his town, do you think the local watering holes sell many cosmopolitans?
You never know. Women all over the country watched "Sex and the City".
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

When I visited Hawaii last, this song seemed to be playing in every store and restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCkiyTGM6E
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.