Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
grindcore
Some Guy
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:20 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
TPH, my man, we know you like to shout from the rooftops about what you have NHO, and that's fine. But just say it once and get it over with. Your constant justifications for not knowing stuff make for exasperating reading.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
You do leave the house once in a while, right?

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:59 am

Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
You do leave the house once in a while, right?
Take $20 and go sit at a bar. Listen to the orders and watch what the bartender puts in the drinks. Read the drink menu! It often notes ingredients. No matter how many times you do this, or at what time of the day, as long as it is for your education you are NOT a degenerate reprobate.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:43 am

Welp, I freely translated the FJ clue to "under the wind," put 2+2 together (French + Spanish) and quite confidently answered Balearics. FAIL. Buzzy complements some good gets with intelligent wagers for the most part (too timid on his DD wagers though).

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm

My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2588
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:27 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)
GMTA!

User avatar
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin in these United States (of America)
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TreeOfHeaven » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I got FJ, but after seeing what Andy Saunders put on his blog, this seems like a poorly crafted FJ clue.
:this:
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6303
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!
If that's too complicated, you can ignore the scattering part and try to answer something on Earth that's blue that Pluto also has.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:22 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday and for some reason I was convinced the "vent" in FJ was leading to volcanic islands. I had it narrowed down to the Galapagos and the Hawaiian Islands and flipped the coin on the former. And I know "vent" is wind in French, it just blew right over my head. :)
This is about where I was too.

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Archivists wrote: Buzzy: Yep. So we find songs for commercials or write songs for commercials.

Alex: Now there was a marvelous--I can't even remember what the commercial was, but the Hawaiian singer who sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". And don't ask me to pronounce his name off the top of my head right now. But that's the kind of thing you would select.
Another trip to Trebekistan...I never heard that variant two weeks ago, but it was practically on a loop when I was in HI.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
And the problem with that is...? I could say the same about Country Music categories. I don't, but I could.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Sun May 01, 2016 9:58 am

Volante wrote:
Archivists wrote: Buzzy: Yep. So we find songs for commercials or write songs for commercials.

Alex: Now there was a marvelous--I can't even remember what the commercial was, but the Hawaiian singer who sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". And don't ask me to pronounce his name off the top of my head right now. But that's the kind of thing you would select.
Another trip to Trebekistan...I never heard that variant two weeks ago, but it was practically on a loop when I was in HI.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Last Link in the Drink was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
And the problem with that is...? I could say the same about Country Music categories. I don't, but I could.
Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 am

brick wrote:Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.
His version in 50 First Dates got me looking into his music which I am now quite into. Facing Future is a tremendous album. Still can't pronounce his last name though!

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Sun May 01, 2016 10:27 am

Golf wrote:
brick wrote:Bruddah Iz's recording of Over the Rainbow was a hit about a dozen years ago, possibly as a result of being used in s number of tv shows and movies. It's a beautiful piece.
His version in 50 First Dates got me looking into his music which I am now quite into. Facing Future is a tremendous album. Still can't pronounce his last name though!
This clip of the announcement of his death on local TV includes the correct pronunciation several times. Kamakawiwo'ole comes out roughly Kamaka viva olay

Oh, and it's all the same recording. He died in '97.

phpBB [video]

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9213
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Sun May 01, 2016 10:56 am

brick wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I couldn't even decipher what NASA for $200 was saying. How the hell do you get sky out of that?
Something on Earth that's blue because of scattering.
Scattering?!

I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
You do leave the house once in a while, right?
Take $20 and go sit at a bar. Listen to the orders and watch what the bartender puts in the drinks. Read the drink menu! It often notes ingredients. No matter how many times you do this, or at what time of the day, as long as it is for your education you are NOT a degenerate reprobate.
Based on what he has said about the dining options in his town, do you think the local watering holes sell many cosmopolitans?

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Sun May 01, 2016 11:05 am

Bamaman wrote:
brick wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I've barely heard of a cosmopolitan drink. Never mind knowing what goes in it.
You do leave the house once in a while, right?
Take $20 and go sit at a bar. Listen to the orders and watch what the bartender puts in the drinks. Read the drink menu! It often notes ingredients. No matter how many times you do this, or at what time of the day, as long as it is for your education you are NOT a degenerate reprobate.
Based on what he has said about the dining options in his town, do you think the local watering holes sell many cosmopolitans?
You never know. Women all over the country watched "Sex and the City".

User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest » Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 am

When I visited Hawaii last, this song seemed to be playing in every store and restaurant.

phpBB [video]
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Post Reply