Thursday, May 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7294, 2016-05-05

2016 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

WE ASKED: Eric Stonestreet of Modern Family.

CONTESTANTS
Terrie Trebilcock, a high school history and economics teacher from Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
Tenaya Snider, a 10th grade English teacher from Tucson, Arizona
Peter Buchholz, a 6th grade U.S. history and language arts teacher from Minneapolis, Minnesota

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, as you know, this week and next week on our program is devoted to the 15 teachers who have taken the Jeopardy! test to qualify for this competition. But if you are a teacher also, you might qualify for farmers insurance thank America's teachers campaign, and you might wind up receiving one of the 180 $2,500 grants to help fund some of the projects in your classroom. Or you might even wind up winning one of the six $100,000 grants to help make improvements at your school. Go to thankamericasteachers.com to get details. Okay, now, I mentioned $100,000. That's what the winner of our tournament will receive at the end of next week. It could be Peter, Tenaya, or Terrie. We don't know. But we'll know a lot more at the end of this program. So, good luck. Here are the categories for the first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5)
SCHOOL SUBJECTS IN GERMAN (4/5)
A VICE PRESIDENT'S SURNAME (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EYES ON THE PRIZE (1/5)
A VISIT TO NEW YORK STATE (4/5)
5 COMMANDMENTS (5/5) (Alex: We didn't have room for all 10 that you will find in the King James Bible, just five of them.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Peter: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Terrie: 5 R, 2 W
Tenaya: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Peter: $2,600
Tenaya: $1,400
Terrie: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Terrie Trebilcock is from Pennsylvania. And, Terrie, before you became a teacher, you worked for the CIA.

Terrie: Yes.

Alex: What was the impetus to go into teaching?

Terrie: It's way more interesting.

[Laughter]

Terrie: Students are much more surprising than spies. It's--it's--it's fun. I'm--I'm using the analytical skills and the content skills I'm having, but I get to talk with a lot more interesting people all the time.

Alex: All right. Thank you.

Alex: Tenaya Snider from Tucson, Arizona, a 10th-grade English teacher. And you've wanted to be a teacher almost your entire life, I think.

Tenaya: Very much so. When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I would take my younger brother, and I would take all of my stuffed animals. And I'd line them up, and I would give my brother spelling tests. And I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher. He swears that's the reason why he doesn't like to spell now.

Alex: Now, did you ever--did you ever have to discipline him?

Tenaya: Oh, of course. Lots of detentions.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Alex: Peter Buchholz from Minneapolis, a 6th grade U.S. history and language arts teacher. Now, before becoming a teacher, you worked in another profession.

Peter: Well, uh, I was a special-ed paraprofessional...

Alex: Ah.

Peter: ...and, you know, working one-on-one with students. And one time a student sent me a letter--I had taken a job at another school--um, and he was asking me if I would come back to his school for a visit, um, and so I did. But he also included a piece of writing in which he and I were the main characters. Um, it was basically the plot of Jaws, but we were the two main characters.

Alex: Okay, terrific.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peter found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Peter had $7,400, Tenaya had $1,200, and Terrie was at $1,000. Peter wagered $2,000.

A VICE PRESIDENT'S SURNAME $1000: To collect, hoard or gather (perhaps votes)
(Alex: Peter?)
(Peter: Wha--I--what is--I don't know.)
(Alex: No. The vice president this time was John Nance [*], so the word we were going for is [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCHOOL SUBJECTS IN GERMAN $800: Informatik
(a thoroughly modern one)
(Terrie: What is technology?)

A VICE PRESIDENT'S SURNAME $200: Violence, murder & bloodshed provide it

EYES ON THE PRIZE $200: Shigeru Ban, a pioneer in the use of cardboard, won 2014's Pritzker Prize in this field

EYES ON THE PRIZE $400: The XPRIZEs include a $10 million competition to make this "Star Trek" diagnostic device a reality
(Peter: What is a transporter?)

EYES ON THE PRIZE $600: Writers who explore the human condition can win a Humanitas Prize; Larry Kramer did for this drama about AIDS
(Terrie: What is Angels in America?)

EYES ON THE PRIZE $1000: The 1984 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction went to William Kennedy for this "I"-book

A VISIT TO NEW YORK STATE $800: (I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson.) I got my first taste of stargazing as a 9-year-old kid in New York City when I took a trip to this facility at the American Museum of Natural History; later I took classes there & today I'm its director
(Alex: It's a great place to visit in New York.)

A VICE PRESIDENT'S SURNAME $600: Bede,
Smith &
Clayton Powell,
collectively

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Peter: $5,400
Tenaya: $1,200
Terrie: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TEACHERS (4/5)
ALL ABOUT ANIMALS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BRITISH AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS (4/5)
INDEPENDENCE DAYS (5/5)
THE COMMON "CORE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Peter: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tenaya: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Terrie: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peter snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Peter had $13,400, Tenaya had $6,800, and Terrie was at $5,800. Peter wagered $2,000.

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $2000: During their trip around S. America, Magellan's crew saw new creatures including this bird they called a black goose
(Peter: What is a cormorant?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Peter who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Peter had $12,600, Tenaya had $7,600, and Terrie was at $5,800. Peter wagered $400.

BRITISH AUTHORS $1600: "A Clockwork Counterpoint" is a 2010 study of this author's more than 250 musical compositions

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TEACHERS $1600: Seen here, former Philly high school teacher Jesse Williams is Dr. Jackson Avery on this TV drama

VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS $2000: The "Co" in CoQ10, which acts as an antioxidant, is short for this
(Tenaya: What is cobalt?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Peter: $17,000 (lock game)
Terrie: $7,800
Tenaya: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Peter: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Terrie: Wager $3,401 to cover Tenaya.
Tenaya: Risk between $0 and $1,200, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1855 he wrote, "The public appears disposed to be amused even when they are conscious of being deceived"

FINAL SCORES
Tenaya: $5,600 - $5,000 = $600 (Who is ?) (3rd place)
Terrie: $7,800 - $6,500 = $1,300 (Who was Mark Twain?) (2nd place)
Peter: $17,000 + $0 = $17,000 (Who is P.T. Barnum) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: Ah, there's a sucker born every minute, I guess.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Peter: $22,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Terrie: $7,800, 10 R, 2 W
Tenaya: $5,600, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Peter: 28/61 = .459
Tenaya: 11/58 = .190
Terrie: 10/58 = .172
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
5 COMMANDMENTS $200: "Thou shalt have no ____ ____ before me"
[Alex reads the blanks as "blank blanks".]

5 COMMANDMENTS $400: "Thou shalt not bear ____ ____ against thy neighbour"
[Alex reads the blanks as "this".]

5 COMMANDMENTS $600: "Thou shalt not ____ thy neighbour's house"
[Alex reads the blank as "do this to".]

5 COMMANDMENTS $800: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any ____ image"
[Alex reads the blank as "this kind of".]

5 COMMANDMENTS $1000: "Thou shalt not take the name of the ____ ____ ____ ____ ____"
[Alex reads the blanks as "blank blank blank blank blank".]
(Tenaya: What is the Lord in vain?)
(Alex: There were five blanks there, Tenaya. Sorry.)

A VISIT TO NEW YORK STATE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sleepy Hollow, NY.) I'm at Sunnyside, near Sleepy Hollow, New York, home of this "Rip Van Winkle" author; he designed the home & grounds himself & wrote, "It is a beautiful spot, capable of being made a little paradise"

A VICE PRESIDENT'S SURNAME $800: It's the yard annoyance seen here

THE COMMON "CORE" $400: It's found in the e-mail address seen here
[Shown: HOST_ALEX@JEOPARDY.COM]

TEACHERS $1200: (Hi. I'm Eric Stonestreet of Modern Family.) I studied comedy at this famed Chicago improv theater, where Tina Fey was one of my teachers

TEACHERS $2000: Ezra Koenig cut short his teaching career when this quartet that he fronts got a record deal

INDEPENDENCE DAYS $1600: On Nov. 28, 1912 Ismail Qemali declared Albania's independence from this empire
(Peter: What is the Austro-Hungarian Empire?)

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $800: These quadrupeds can open their jaws 150 degrees & are strong enough to bite a crocodile in half
(Tenaya: What is a lion?)

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $1200: It's not George W.'s offspring, but this tree-dwelling primate of Africa

VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS $1600: These berries have a four-letter name with three vowels & high levels of antioxidants

CORRECT RESPONSES
Garner
computer
Gore
architecture
a tricorder
The Normal Heart
Ironweed
the Hayden Planetarium
Adams
a penguin
(Anthony) Burgess
Grey's Anatomy
coenzyme
P.T. Barnum
other gods
false witness
covet
graven
the Lord, thy God, in vain
Washington Irving
Burr
an underscore
Second City
Vampire Weekend
the Ottoman Empire
a hippopotamus
a bush baby
acai berries
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1855 he wrote, “The public appears disposed to be amused even when they are conscious of being deceived”

Peter Bucholz: 17000+0=17000 (semi-finalist)
Tenaya Snyder: 5600-5000=600
Terrie Trebilcock: 7800-6500=1300

Correct response:
Spoiler
P.T. Barnum (Tenaya - ?) (Terrie - Mark Twain)
Daily Doubles
Peter: 7400-2000
Peter: 13400-2000
Peter: 12600+400

Coryats
Peter: 22200
Tenaya: 5600
Terrie: 7800

Combined: 35,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu May 05, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

So Peter finds the first round DD in a category everybody is obviously very weak in and he decides to make the standard wager? Nobody knows the answer to any of these and you're going to just give away money? Ugh.

So then in DJ in a bottom row clue he shrugs and again goes with $2k for no real reason. Then, in a lesser value clue, and only because he's already missed twice, he wagers small in a category he's doing well in! Funny stuff.

Carefully watching the scores in real time, I thought Tenaya taking an educated guess at the final clue to ward off the lockout was a good move. A correct answer will allow advancing with a won game, an incorrect answer can allow a wildcard spot with a double up in FJ.

Of course leaving money on the table on the FJ wagers was foolish. Naturally if by chance one of them advances most will applaud this decision. Results are always indicative of proper decisions. Ha!

In the end, the dominant player advanced.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Peter on becoming a semi-finalist. I had 49 correct responses including these triple stumpers: computer, gore, architecture, tricorder, Hayden Planetarium, and co-enzyme. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of garner and penguin, and I got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So...those two are 3rd and 4th in the WC standings, yes? And the one with 5k is in? Good lord.

FJ instaget-ish, followed by 25 seconds of (barely) convincing myself that I wasn't misinterpreting the clue and that it wasn't something simpler like Twain.

I know it's May, but really writers? Burn that VP category and never speak of it again (and I was 4/5 but still...).
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

So, this was a somewhat notable news story over the past week:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/01/us/ringli ... index.html

I'm the kind of person who likes to follow-up stuff like this with related Wiki material, so I spent some time learning about Circus history. Didn't know that Teller's partner was a graduate of clown college. Needless to say, instaget FJ. :)
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

My first instinct was correct for FJ, but after writing it down, I also thought of Houdini. I'm pretty sure he said some vaguely similar things, pointing out that magic is one art form where the public enjoys being lied to or fooled. However, I correctly remembered that Houdini was born too late to say any quotable quotes in 1855, so I stuck with my original choice.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Would pronouncing acai berries with a hard c have been accepted? I'm not sure I've ever actually heard that word out loud before.

These wildcards are interesting this tournament. Two days ago, I'd have never believed $5000 had a prayer of making it in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I have over $7,000 late in the first round of a QF and a big lead and hit a DD in a crappy category like that, I'm betting $200 at most. That was a Jane category and they throw a DD in there with a relatively obscure VP and a hard to decipher definition.

I started FJ thinking it was going to be a political figure, so it took me a bit to get to Barnum since the quote sounds like something a politician would say. Or at least think if our two presidential choices are any indication.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT French at $200? I was 0/5 in the category despite some German fluency. They just weren't connecting.

Also the stand and stare at $200 suggests that "Pritzker" might be a tad obscure.

I knew the Star Trek gadget was "t___corder" but couldn't quite remember the missing letters.

Once again I manage to forget the category mere seconds after it was stated. "It's in the e-mail address seen here." "Um, well, it has an at sign, a period, a lame shout-out... it could be anything!... Oh!"

Hippopotamus and penguin were my misses in Animals. No way was I connecting "black goose" to penguin.

Too slow on "acai" to run the Vitamin/Supplement category.

I saw FJ! while waiting at a Burger King, but turned away before the reveal. When it came back around on my home recording, I still had no idea. I didn't even know where to start, as was the case yesterday.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Vowela wrote:Would pronouncing acai berries with a hard c have been accepted? I'm not sure I've ever actually heard that word out loud before.

These wildcards are interesting this tournament. Two days ago, I'd have never believed $5000 had a prayer of making it in.
You know, that has happened in a recent Teacher's Tournament. Cathy Farell passed with $4,600 and that was shocking.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote:I started FJ thinking it was going to be a political figure, so it took me a bit to get to Barnum since the quote sounds like something a politician would say. Or at least think if our two presidential choices are any indication.
I got wrapped around the axle on the year, thinking that the deception referred to the South's justifications for slavery, leading me to Frederick Douglass.

Through four games, we've already had more Final misses (nine) than the entirety of the College Championship (eight) - though I think that speaks more to how easy the Final clues ran in the latter event.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

xxaaaxx wrote:So...those two are 3rd and 4th in the WC standings, yes? And the one with 5k is in? Good lord.

FJ instaget-ish, followed by 25 seconds of (barely) convincing myself that I wasn't misinterpreting the clue and that it wasn't something simpler like Twain.

I know it's May, but really writers? Burn that VP category and never speak of it again (and I was 4/5 but still...).
I know this was hard to understand. But given to the circumstances, the bets were so awkwardly misplaced for most of the teachers. Seriously? $100, $600, now $1,300? I just don't know if we're almost witnessing the same fiasco wagers unlike the last Teacher's Tournament, I was more expecting them to be more consciencious of their wild card chances. But...doesn't seem like it.

I even remembered about the 2003 ToC where a lot of players were in the red and some had $0. Eric Floyd, Kyle Hale, Jackie Harrison, Mark Lee, Max Levaren, and Ben Tritle all were $0. The ones in the red were Kathy Cassity and Jason McCune. Out of the ones with $0, who did pass? It was Max Levaren and Eric Floyd. I'm even shocked that they even let a $0 score on a wildcard win.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT French at $200? I was 0/5 in the category despite some German fluency. They just weren't connecting.
Well, besides the German, the clue mentioned a neighbor.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

mfc248 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I started FJ thinking it was going to be a political figure, so it took me a bit to get to Barnum since the quote sounds like something a politician would say. Or at least think if our two presidential choices are any indication.
I got wrapped around the axle on the year, thinking that the deception referred to the South's justifications for slavery, leading me to Frederick Douglass.

Through four games, we've already had more Final misses (nine) than the entirety of the College Championship (eight) - though I think that speaks more to how easy the Final clues ran in the latter event.

The FJs this week have been remarkably easy. I thought the disgruntled former CIA woman was funny.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Neil deGrasse Tyson is not the director of "this facility" shown in the photograph. I wonder if that contributed to making it a TS. :D
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Wondering about Houdini also but quite sure he was turn of the 20th Century, went with Barnum ftw.
50R; ran German cat, fun! with LT: computer, gore, Pritzker > architecture, Star trek > tricorder, Hayden Planetarium, Adam(s) and co-enzyme.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Such a missed opportunity. Alex asks Terrie what was the impetus to leave the CIA and go into teaching. The correct response is to look him straight in the eye and say, "Deep cover, Alex."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote:I know it's May, but really writers? Burn that VP category and never speak of it again (and I was 4/5 but still...).
I liked the VP category. They should do more stuff like that.