Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

While I appreciate all that Harry does for the show, that was a pretty bogus explanation (with several reasons cited above). My initial reaction, Kaberi, was to deny it as well, but I certainly would have taken your explanation (and it did demand an explanation; it's not like you didn't clearly know it).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Hobson's Choice... such fun! Henry Ford on Hobson: "You can have a new Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black!" YAY!! :P

48R LT: conservative, Uzbekistan > Tashkent: formerly Bactria, site of Samarkand, Timurlane's capital city, and later part of the Samanid & Persian Empires.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:While I appreciate all that Harry does for the show, that was a pretty bogus explanation (with several reasons cited above). My initial reaction, Kaberi, was to deny it as well, but I certainly would have taken your explanation (and it did demand an explanation; it's not like you didn't clearly know it).
From Kaberi's story it sounds like Harry realized pretty quickly that he didn't want to go any further down that road.

The situation does produce a bit of a quandary. Kaberi obviously knows what she's talking about but they can't just take her word for it. In Harry's place, I'd have gone back to the judges and said, "She's clearly right. Find a source that confirms that so we can start the show back up."

It sounds as though they may have started out from the wrong end in chasing this thing down. If you search for "taka" (which is what they heard), Google immediately informs you that's the currency of Bangladesh. So they went down that rabbit trail. It's true that Taka is not a variant Latin-alphabet spelling of Dhaka. It's also irrelevant.

If you attack this from the other end, Kaberi's story gets confirmed pretty quickly. Googling <Dhaka pronunciation Bengali> will quickly get you links to audio of native speakers saying the name. E.g.

http://www.shabdkosh.com/bn/translate/% ... li-English
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

goatman wrote:Hobson's Choice... such fun! Henry Ford on Hobson: "You can have a new Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black!" YAY!! :P

48R LT: conservative, Uzbekistan > Tashkent: formerly Bactria, site of Samarkand, Timurlane's capital city, and later part of the Samanid & Persian Empires.
The Samanid and Achamaenid (Persian) Empires both preceded Timur-i-Lengh by many centuries.
kaberi
Valued Contributor

Post by kaberi »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:While I appreciate all that Harry does for the show, that was a pretty bogus explanation (with several reasons cited above). My initial reaction, Kaberi, was to deny it as well, but I certainly would have taken your explanation (and it did demand an explanation; it's not like you didn't clearly know it).
From Kaberi's story it sounds like Harry realized pretty quickly that he didn't want to go any further down that road.

The situation does produce a bit of a quandary. Kaberi obviously knows what she's talking about but they can't just take her word for it. In Harry's place, I'd have gone back to the judges and said, "She's clearly right. Find a source that confirms that so we can start the show back up."

It sounds as though they may have started out from the wrong end in chasing this thing down. If you search for "taka" (which is what they heard), Google immediately informs you that's the currency of Bangladesh. So they went down that rabbit trail. It's true that Taka is not a variant Latin-alphabet spelling of Dhaka. It's also irrelevant.

If you attack this from the other end, Kaberi's story gets confirmed pretty quickly. Googling <Dhaka pronunciation Bengali> will quickly get you links to audio of native speakers saying the name. E.g.

http://www.shabdkosh.com/bn/translate/% ... li-English
I ran into Maggie as I was leaving the hotel the next day. I told her I had the impression that there must have been somebody backstage arguing in my favor. She confirmed that there was. She said that they needed 2 independent sources to consider my response acceptable. I don't recall what the first one was, but she said they also called a Bengali restaurant (!). Which was funny, because at the theater that day, after it was over, we were wondering if perhaps they had called the Bangladeshi embassy ( would they have found anybody there on a Sunday morning?). Everybody I spoke to afterwards was really nice about it, saying that I had stood up for myself, etc. What a remarkable coincidence that I had to stand up for an answer that was so personal to me.

I did sort of think to myself that if it had gone the other way, all the Bengalis that we would have asked to watch the show would have been in an uproar (We, as a community, can be a little oversensitive and highfalutin' at times). But as it stands, it helped me get to the finals, and it gave me a great story to tell, so it's all good.