Watson vs. My Wife

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Watson vs. My Wife

Post by Bob78164 »

dhkendall wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I would pay good money to see Watson vs. Schliemann. No third player... just the two of them.
I still have not seen one shred of conclusive proof they are not the same.
"Toronto." --Bob
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bob78164 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I would pay good money to see Watson vs. Schliemann. No third player... just the two of them.
I still have not seen one shred of conclusive proof they are not the same.
"Toronto." --Bob
Ahh, but that's the genius of that response! It's the magician's misdirection; an answer that incorrect could only be the result of a poor algorithm that doesn't find the proper keywords in the clue given...or someone so clever that it makes us think it's a poor algorithm!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

TheConfessor wrote:At the match against Harvard and MIT, how did the buzzers work and what were the special rules for having three players on each team? It appeared that all three players on each team had a buzzer, but I couldn't tell for sure. Was only one person allowed to answer, select clues, and make wagers? Were they allowed to confer after buzzing? Did the person who buzzed first have to be the one who answered? If any one of the three mistimed and buzzed too soon, were the other two locked out?

Yes, 3 buzzers per team, all linked so that "locked out" applied to the whole team. There was time for brief conferring after ringing in, and anyone could answer, select clues, and make wagers. At Watson-Cal-Stanford It was pretty casual but the teams operated very smoothly -- I think they play quiz bowl together and are used to quick joint decision-making when needed (though I don't know anything about quiz bowl play).
If Ken, Brad, and Jerome played as a team by the same rules, could they have beaten Watson?
Absolutely, especially without a third player -- as seaborgium said earlier in the thread, "They have Watson play with two sentient opponents for the same reason they have Watson play using impeccable buzzer timing." Caveat: unless they tweaked Watson's timing even more....
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

Thanks for the reply, andreaborn. It seems as if there could be occasional team strategy disputes that would be hard to referee unless one person is designated the official team captain and spokesman. Glad that wasn't a problem in this case. I wonder how much the game is affected by having three buzzers per team. On the one hand, it could triple the very small chance of beating Watson on the buzzer, but on the other hand, it could triple the chance of getting locked out. I suspect that it really doesn't make a big difference, since in most cases, humans only win the buzzer when Watson opts not to try.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheConfessor wrote:humans only win the buzzer when Watson opts not to try.
"The only winning move is not to play"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012