LL69: for the LLama Drama

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL69: for the LLama Drama

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ElendilPickle wrote:Congratulations to This Is Kirk! on defeating me yesterday. Failure to read question 3 correctly (put depression instead of antidepressants) and bad defense on Lee Krasner hurt.
Thanks! It certainly wasn't bad defense considering that was the most difficult question of the day statistically. Unfortunately for you I happened to know who Jackson Pollock's wife was!

I wasn't sure whether to go with antianxiety or antidepression. I eventually put down antidepressant, but I wonder if both would have been accepted?
alietr wrote:I was pretty shocked at the high get rate on that
Really? I expected it to be higher. I assumed most people know what the latter gamma looks like and if you do it's a pretty easy conclusion after that. I don't think I'd ever actually heard it described like that before, though.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: I wasn't sure whether to go with antianxiety or antidepression. I eventually put down antidepressant, but I wonder if both would have been accepted?
I would think not, as antianxiety applied to only parts of the question, whereas antidepression applied to all.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:[
Really? I expected it to be higher. I assumed most people know what the latter gamma looks like and if you do it's a pretty easy conclusion after that. I don't think I'd ever actually heard it described like that before, though.
Doesn't this look like that description?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:

I would say no, not in the slightest. :)
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

jfrumkin wrote:Do you think Thorsten put the "gamma" thing into Q2 so that people would start either mentally or on paper drawing what a cross made out of capital gammas would look like and then immediately scream and guiltily scribble everything out?
I first drew it wrong, with upside down gammas scrunched together into a cross. Then, I reread the question and made it like a pinwheel formation, which then was obvious.

This was my closest so far to a beer with 7(5)-6(5), and I won on DE. Instead of gypsum, I put "chalk," which, though not a mineral, is not a terrible response.

My opponent did not expect me to know anything about Canadian football, but I do live in the upper midwest, and have heard enough about it to make a lucky educated guess about the field length. I knew it was longer.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Something interesting happened with Question 5 (bavette, bucatini, conchiglie, gemelli, lumache/chiocciole). My opponent and I both assigned it 3 points, but we both got it right.

I don't know about my opponent, but I thought I was just making a stab in the dark at an answer, and I didn't have any feeling for how likely it was to be correct.

I didn't recognize any of the words, but "conchiglie" contains the word "conch", so maybe it resembles a shell (I still haven't looked it up to verify), and I thought: well, there is pasta shaped like shells, and the words look Italian and I could see the Italians having lots of words for pasta.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jfrumkin wrote:All apologies to Vermonter, that was a tailor-made board for me. I happened to know the science question and the rest was cake.
Good game! I had one of those the previous day (finished in about 40 seconds). The gypsum question was tough to assign – basically I was gambling that you hadn't memorized the Mohs scale. At least I was the most close to being right. ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

This season for me has been characterized by headslapping, missed it by *that* much wrong answers. Like yesterday, I was trying to remember what came after talc on the Moh's scale. I confidently submitted "calcite." Ughhhh.

It cost me a 7(3), too, which is one of the 5 scores I've never received.
At least I still won.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

dhkendall wrote:The advantage of playing a boardie is that you know to assign a 0 (or, if necessary, a 1) to the question that references a recent Jeopardy! clue (Q6).

Sorry, clprez. In your defence, the whole board seemed like strong suits for you per your stats and it was hard picking defence. Also lost two coin flips (Raiders (actually "Indiana Jones" was my option) and ET, bread and pasta) and still lucked into a win.
I wasn't happy to see a CFL question on the day that I was playing a Canadian, but at least my defense was pretty good.

I can't believe I missed the pasta question. On Tuesday, I was on wikipedia looking at pasta shapes looking for a specific shape. There are pages upon pages of shapes. Since I didn't remember even one of the types that Thorsten listed I figured that it couldn't be pasta shapes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:

That's the Iron Cross, but a capital Gamma is basically an upside-down L. So, no, looks nothing like that. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:

That's the Iron Cross, but a capital Gamma is basically an upside-down L. So, no, looks nothing like that. :)
I missed the 'capital' part, darn it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lost 7(5)-4(4) to HittM, who I think is a boardie, they were referred by my referral.

Texas and 110 yards were instagets. Raiders was a bit of a guess, thought it might have come out a year later that that. I said pasta intstead of pasta shapes and got credit.

The Mohs scale is one of those things I should know. Didn't know what a gamma looked like, something else I should know.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:

I missed the 'capital' part, darn it.
It's also mostly the Maltese Cross which was already listed in the clue:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Yesterday was a great day. I had my first beer since the end of LL67 (but so did my opponent), and I was the one who found the ESPN satellite dish/beep promo for the Commissioner. I came across that video a couple years ago while searching for old NFL Primetime episodes. Thorsten said he's watched it a dozen times already!
Hoping for a third lap
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Bamaman wrote:I lost 7(5)-4(4) to HittM, who I think is a boardie, they were referred by my referral.

Texas and 110 yards were instagets. Raiders was a bit of a guess, thought it might have come out a year later that that. I said pasta intstead of pasta shapes and got credit.

The Mohs scale is one of those things I should know. Didn't know what a gamma looked like, something else I should know.
Thank goodness for social clubs (Christian school equivalent of fraternities) for helping me know what a "gamma" looks like.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Bamaman wrote:I lost 7(5)-4(4) to HittM, who I think is a boardie, they were referred by my referral.

Yup, HittM is a boardie. It's me. Good game. I did the same thing with the pasta question, and I'm there with you on not knowing the Mohs scale. I think I said talc, even though I thought it was a 1 in the scale. Couldn't think of anything else. I only got swastika from a bit of doodling and once I got over thinking it had to look like an actual cross.

Pretty sure I get KendallDH tomorrow, which will be 3 boardies in 5 matches. Makes it fun to play people I've interacted with on here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said granite for the rock. I know talc is 1 and diamond is 10. For some reason I know Quartz is 7 but that's it. It was hard to defend. Your science score isn't great, but that list is something you see in school and we all probably had to learn it at some point. If is a simple list so who knows if somebody knows it or not.

I said St. George's Cross for the flag.

Actually I get Kendall Friday. Yes it is fun to be able to chat about the match afterwards.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ouachiouat wrote:Pretty sure I get KendallDH tomorrow, which will be 3 boardies in 5 matches. Makes it fun to play people I've interacted with on here.
Bamaman wrote:Actually I get Kendall Friday. Yes it is fun to be able to chat about the match afterwards.
Gentlemen, gentlemen. No need to fight over me. Bamaman can have me today and ouachiouat can have me on the next Match Day. Everyone will get their chance to be beaten!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

dhkendall wrote:
ouachiouat wrote:Pretty sure I get KendallDH tomorrow, which will be 3 boardies in 5 matches. Makes it fun to play people I've interacted with on here.
Bamaman wrote:Actually I get Kendall Friday. Yes it is fun to be able to chat about the match afterwards.
Gentlemen, gentlemen. No need to fight over me. Bamaman can have me today and ouachiouat can have me on the next Match Day. Everyone will get their chance to be beaten!
Whoops, guess I'm just too excited to face the legend himself. Good luck today, and don't humble me too badly on Monday.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

In a rather odd match, I defeated my opponent on MD11, 3(1)-1(1); the only question I got correct was Secant, finally getting a math question correct. (I teach mathematics but up to now had been 0-4 on math questions; my opponent must have been misled by my terrible math stats). That's my second three-pointer of the season. I'm now 4-5-2 for the season.

I'm now ranked 11th in my division. As a result of this match, my opponent dropped out of the promotion zone, from 4th to 6th.